Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Your tone was condescending, and you never said you welcome the change. You live in MN, it gets cold, for sure. I live north of you. I've never spent an hour trying to get into my car. I've never encountered weather where running the car for a while didn't loosen the ice to easily knock it off. Rather than wasting money on gasoline to pour over your vehicle and jabbing it with screwdrivers, invest in a remote starter and save yourself hours of time and a lot of hardship. Just some friendly advice from someone who deals with a colder world than you do, "eh".
I don't disagree that I was being a smart ass. But I've seen a handful of people here say they have first hand experience struggling to get in their vehicles due to ice and then people who haven't experienced it say it must not be true.

That's like telling someone it's not possible for them to stub their toe on their own coffee table just because you don't have one.

Lets assume it's as cold in Canada as you're claiming it is. I believe you. I also believe that if it's consistently below freezing, then you don't have standing water that turns to ice. You have to have temperature swings warm enough to melt snow and cold enough to freeze it again.

Where I'm from, it's a regular occurrence to get 6" of snow in the morning, then have half of it melt in the afternoon and settle in all the nooks and crannies of your car, and then have it all freeze again at night.

If it's so cold in Canada that this doesn't happen, great. But if you can't understand that this is not a problem for the coldest climate but more of a problem for climates with larger temperature swings, then that's fine. But I don't have the desire to argue with you about it any longer.

And yes, I've got remote starters on every single vehicle I've ever owned. They might work great for the snow on your car, not the ice on mine.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Elon: Cybertruck will not have door handles! 1616773501093

The Mustang Mach - E shows a button to open the door.
Again I have some concerns about eliminating handles all together in cold climates. I can tell you that our vehicles are often covered in snow and ice. I can see these electronic sensors being problematic in extreme weather. I also have concerns with the elimination of mirrors and using strictly cameras. I can tell you my back up camera is often useless with road salt, spray, dirt, snow, and ice.

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
I’m with you on that. I’m in Idaho and the door can get pretty stuck from ice sometimes. So it’s a serious concern for me. Plus what happens if you phone and wallet get lost or stolen while traveling. You’re pretty screwed.
I think your less screwed than if you lost your wallet and keys.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The real problem for opening isn't cold, but water. How much was it raining when everything froze. Anyone on the edge of cold has a story of a day there was sleet and their car was entombed in a sheet of ice.

Tesla has dealt with this problem before; the X falcon doors had many redesigns to deal with it. As pointed out, the current cars have an icebreaker built into them - something with more leverage than any door handle could ever have.

Not only that, the cars have remote opening, remote heating, and can be plugged into the grid and do all this. That makes them much better at resisting being frozen shut. Add a little hydrophobic wax and the Cybertruck will break itself from almost any depth of icy tomb.

Well, try not to let it get buried in eight feet of snow. But even then, it will remote start without suffocating!

Exactly. If I recall, Elon has a soft spot for this very vehicle. Let's hope. :)
Yes. He owns it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/22/jam...on-musk-bought-inspired-tesla-cybertruck.html

-Crissa

grave367

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (eventually)
Country flag
pickpockets steal wallets and cellphones, rarely keys.
Are you implying that people never drop things by mistake? They only have them stolen?
Losing things and having them stolen are not isolated incidents, they both happen to everyone.

If I drop my phone into a river by mistake, am I going to be locked out of my cybertruck?
I would hope not, I wasn't locked out of my car when that happened with my keys, because I broke a passenger window and tore apart my ignition assembly so I could get home.
Loved that car, would accept any flathead to start it, and I never worried about keys again.

I really want to like the cybertruck, and there's hundreds of questions worth asking. It's just too early to speculate about a showroom vehicle that few people have seen in person yet. Unless of course this forum is here for Tesla to get feedback, then I believe disclosure is key. It's not worth hanging on every word that elon puts out.

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
Here's a fun cyberpunk opening mechanism...... and I would like to believe they looked at this option:
Pneumatic latch system pulled from the onboard air compressor.

You'd have far fewer parts. Mainly just an air line going to each door and a short travel pneumatic piston.
For ice, the truck could just keep upping the PSI until the door popped open through the ice.

As an added cyberpunk aesthetic, the would be a short hiss each time it popped open. Dunno if it would get annoying, guess it would depend on how loud it was.

Alpeyev

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe Cybertruck, Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Probably a finger touch sensor like a roadster has.

2TRACk

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
03 CR-V, 91 Toyota pickup, 97 Magna 750
Occupation
Electronic Maintenance
Country flag
Phones are going to be present, you phone will be your key.
... again it's not physically apart of me so, not every time. I can lose it, break it, have it stolen or battery could die, kids could have it/hidden it. Unless there is a backup way to get inside, face it there will be times we run into these issues and I feel for being 21st century tech that it would be annoying A.F.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My spouse said 'good! That sounds cheaper. Wait, I don't have to have my phone on all the time, do I?' so I ran throw the keycard and the other options and she was like, 'wait, you're telling me too many things... al these car things I don't care about... doesn't it just have a key fob?' so... she can have the key fob ^-^

-Crissa

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
... again it's not physically apart of me so, not every time... I feel for being 21st century tech that it would be annoying A.F.
I get what you're saying. You're aware that this is already a problem that we all have to deal with currently but you're saying that Tesla has the opportunity to change that.

I think the ideal scenario would be an external fingerprint sensor with a PIN pad.

There are times where I go out to my garage to work on something and realize I need to move my truck over a space or two. My property is several acres and it's a long walk back to my house to find my keys. Happens to me all the time but I just deal with it. Using a fingerprint sensor to remove the need for car keys could be very easily done. I already don't need keys for my house, so getting rid of the car keys would be awesome.

As far a the PIN goes, there are times I need people to go move my truck and I wouldn't want to give them my phone if it was the only key I had. Or times I've been out of town and someone needs to borrow my truck. Being able to give someone a temporary 4 digit PIN from my app would be great.

Last edited: