Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So if your phone dies and cannot charge, you cant get in?
If that's your only key.

There will be others:
Keycard
Fob
Remote access software

Yea, but this one will be round, steel and heavy, Franz already demonstrated it...?
It didn't actually get inside, tho.

-Crissa
Sponsored

darinduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 P85D Model S; 2001 Silverado 1500
Occupation
Design Director
Country flag
That's going to confuse potential hijackers and thieves whilst you're standing at the Robot (Traffic light - to those not in South Africa) waiting for the lights to turn green! That and they can't break the side windows with an old spark plug.
Hi Mark! My wife is from Pretoria. We live in Texas now, near the factory where they will make the Cybertruck.

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
This could be a problem where I live. We get some very cold temps. Freezing windows, doors, and locks are not uncommon.
Or maybe it will use facial recognition. I would think eliminating the handle would reduce this issue since the mechanism would not be exposed to the ice. I guess we will see.

DittoDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 E-Smart
Occupation
Lithium Battery Pack Designer
Country flag
I can already see the people living in sub-zero winter states furiously staring at their frozen CT while mashing their Tesla App for the door to open.
Yea the smartest engineering company in the world, probably wouldn’t of thought of that potential problem. And the FUD/short reporters can make a video of it and drive down the TSLA stock price. I can’t wait! Will be a good time for me to buy more stock!

Dan

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Yea the smartest engineering company in the world, probably wouldn’t of thought of that potential problem. And the FUD/short reporters can make a video of it and drive down the TSLA stock price. I can’t wait! Will be a good time for me to buy more stock!

Dan

Probably going to be something similar in our Doritos.

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
I just read a update from Elon that the “no door handles” may be operated by facial recognition. I just hope he includes “car wash mode” and/or just be able to temporarily disable facial recognition so that the doors don’t keep popping open when I am cleaning/washing my CT!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I just read a update from Elon that the “no door handles” may be operated by facial recognition. I just hope he includes “car wash mode” and/or just be able to temporarily disable facial recognition so that the doors don’t keep popping open when I am cleaning/washing my CT!
I suspect when he said the car recognizes you that he is talking about the Bluetooth key, not the car actually recognizing your face.

I could be wrong though.

Equally sure there will be a way to turn it off.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I had this exact thought when I saw a model S go into the car wash yesterday. I asked the owner what she did about the doors and she just put it in valet mode. Not sure how that will work with the CT, and the presenting doors, but I assume it's like the model X or mach-e in that department. Whatever that solution is will probably also be the CT solution.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I had this exact thought when I saw a model S go into the car wash yesterday. I asked the owner what she did about the doors and she just put it in valet mode. Not sure how that will work with the CT, and the presenting doors, but I assume it's like the model X or mach-e in that department. Whatever that solution is will probably also be the CT solution.
Worse case, you have to leave your phone more than 50 feet away when you wash your car. Of if it does turn out to be facial recognition (I doubt it but), wear a face mask when washing your car! LOL

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Worse case, you have to leave your phone more than 50 feet away when you wash your car. Of if it does turn out to be facial recognition (I doubt it but), wear a face mask when washing your car! LOL
Tell the spouse that he/she must wash due to the automatic door opening and sit back in a lawn chair critiquing.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tell the spouse that he/she must wash due to the automatic door opening and sit back in a lawn chair critiquing.
You don't have to worry about getting the paint scratched. Just take it to the local car-wash with those whirly brushes.