F150 Lightning Prices leaked . CyberTruck pricing seems much more competitive now

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Some people don't want a different design. Those are the ones choosing the Ford and GM. Back in the 70s and 80s Detroit had a wakeup call when they lost market shares to manufacturers with different ideas. Just as the VW bug, Porsche and my baby the Corvair (65' Corsa Turbo) had no radiator grill and people thought they looked odd

I am impatiently waiting for my CT. If the option is available, I will be flying to Texas, camping at the factory, and waiting at the end of the assembly line with a stupid grin on my face.
I'll be right there with you mate!
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
There are so many post stating the Cybertruck has, this or that, over the Lightning, has someone out there actually seen the production model? Is everyone absolutely positive the Cybertruck will provide more range than the Lightning? Why is Elon so quiet on the REAL version of the CT. I know what we all seen and placed reservations on, but, that’s not the truck we’re going to get. And, IMO. that’s not the price your going to pay. Model 3 Tesla’s are NOT setting on the lots for what the internet says they cost (if you find one show me the sticker). Currently, Tesla has no tax incentives and Ford is just over 130k in sales on EV’s so, will they loose that price advantage before the production model Lightning hits the market? One company can boast they have the best selling truck for over 40 years and one can boast they’ve been building and best selling EV’s for over 10 years (EV’s not trucks). I’ve been driving Fords for decades and I kinda know, and what to expect, I know absolutely nothing about Tesla and I can’t seem to find Tesla owners bragging about their vehicles anywhere. I’d like for all you Tesla owners please tell us how happy you are with your vehicles???? How much did you actually pay and what is your Cost of Ownership on that vehicle?
I’m truly interested and I wanna know what really is the truth about EV’s.

Pappy
you can't find Tesla owner's talking about how they love their cars? have you looked? it's easy to find. look up your town and tesla owners group on social media.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
There are so many post stating the Cybertruck has, this or that, over the Lightning, has someone out there actually seen the production model? Is everyone absolutely positive the Cybertruck will provide more range than the Lightning? Why is Elon so quiet on the REAL version of the CT. I know what we all seen and placed reservations on, but, that’s not the truck we’re going to get. And, IMO. that’s not the price your going to pay. Model 3 Tesla’s are NOT setting on the lots for what the internet says they cost (if you find one show me the sticker). Currently, Tesla has no tax incentives and Ford is just over 130k in sales on EV’s so, will they loose that price advantage before the production model Lightning hits the market? One company can boast they have the best selling truck for over 40 years and one can boast they’ve been building and best selling EV’s for over 10 years (EV’s not trucks). I’ve been driving Fords for decades and I kinda know, and what to expect, I know absolutely nothing about Tesla and I can’t seem to find Tesla owners bragging about their vehicles anywhere. I’d like for all you Tesla owners please tell us how happy you are with your vehicles???? How much did you actually pay and what is your Cost of Ownership on that vehicle?
I’m truly interested and I wanna know what really is the truth about EV’s.

Pappy
I just want to say, if you can't find people bragging about their Tesla's then you must be living in. cave and wrote this post via smoke signals.

Everywhere you look there are people talking about them, every single vehicle has a rabid fanbase. They don't advertise! Have you ever seen a Tesla Superbowl commercial? A magazine print ad? They can do that because people don't stop bragging about their Teslas...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ford is selling over 10,000 Mach E in a month currently. By the time the Lightning is rolling out to dealers next spring(if they are on time), Mach E should have around 140,000?? of the 200,000 limit on the street.
Ford can only make about 50k Mach-E this year, according to rumor. As of January they were only building under 5k a month. And they only delivered 12k in the first six months of 2021 so far.

https://www.carsdirect.com/automoti...d-mach-e-wait-time-stretches-to-over-28-weeks

This isn't to say they're having any trouble selling them, just that there is no path to having 200k on the street by this time next year. But they will blow the tax credit next year. Remember, it's calendar year, not just nth car.

https://evadoption.com/ev-sales/federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out-tracker-by-automaker/

-Crissa

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
I just want to say, if you can't find people bragging about their Tesla's then you must be living in. cave and wrote this post via smoke signals.

Actually it’s a cabin high in the mountains. And the nearest Tesla Dealership is 339 miles away, so, no I don’t spend time surfing looking for Tesla owners bragging on their ride. I do spend time on this forum as I have a CT reservation. However, I would think, and recently have seen, people, that own Tesla share their experience here on this forum. And I personally appreciate their feedback.
Do you own a Tesla????

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Actually it’s a cabin high in the mountains. And the nearest Tesla Dealership is 339 miles away, so, no I don’t spend time surfing looking for Tesla owners bragging on their ride. I do spend time on this forum as I have a CT reservation. However, I would think, and recently have seen, people, that own Tesla share their experience here on this forum. And I personally appreciate their feedback.
Do you own a Tesla????
Ah, then smoke signals might be a reasonable form of communication! Maybe you need Starlink? :)

Yes, my partner has a Model 3. We both evangelize it constantly because it's such a good vehicle and charging is so easy and so much better than gas for our use case and I think for many people. I convinced my personal trainer to preorder a CT, and numerous friends are all making a Tesla their next vehicle. I expect the check from Elon sometime soon. ?

OP
OP
DallasCyberTruck

DallasCyberTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOYOTA TUNDRA
Country flag
Ah, then smoke signals might be a reasonable form of communication! Maybe you need Starlink? :)

Yes, my partner has a Model 3. We both evangelize it constantly because it's such a good vehicle and charging is so easy and so much better than gas for our use case and I think for many people. I convinced my personal trainer to preorder a CT, and numerous friends are all making a Tesla their next vehicle. I expect the check from Elon sometime soon. ?
Hope Elon is reading this. I just convinced my in-laws who paid $1000 over MSRP for their RAV4 Prime, to put a reservation in for a CT. They’re in their 70’s and he’s a Chevy guy..

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ford can only make about 50k Mach-E this year, according to rumor. As of January they were only building under 5k a month. And they only delivered 12k in the first six months of 2021 so far.

https://www.carsdirect.com/automoti...d-mach-e-wait-time-stretches-to-over-28-weeks

This isn't to say they're having any trouble selling them, just that there is no path to having 200k on the street by this time next year. But they will blow the tax credit next year. Remember, it's calendar year, not just nth car.

https://evadoption.com/ev-sales/federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out-tracker-by-automaker/

-Crissa

Hmmm, this might explain why federal EV incentives might be delayed.

Since Tesla ran out of federal EV incentives, for now through end of 2022 Ford has a possible $7,500 thumb on the scale for Ford vs Tesla.

If Federal government did a new EV incentive right now it would give a more even playing field because the incentives for Ford & Tesla would be similar.

Having a level playing field would hurt Ford a lot more than Tesla.
1. Tesla Model 3/Y are better values than Mach-e. Cybertruck better than Lightning.
2. Now through 2022, of the EV models, Tesla can ship much higher volumes than Ford.

There are members of U.S. Congress that favor Ford over Tesla.
Delaying the new federal EV incentives until late next year means the tilted playing field for Ford lasts longer.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The EV incentives will probably be in the budget reconciliation which will probably be delayed to September.

Supposedly the Republicans have signed onto the deal, but so far nothing has gotten scheduled for a vote before the end of the month (and summer break for Congress when they go home to constituents)

-Crissa

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The EV incentives will probably be in the budget reconciliation which will probably be delayed to September.

Supposedly the Republicans have signed onto the deal, but so far nothing has gotten scheduled for a vote before the end of the month (and summer break for Congress when they go home to constituents)

-Crissa
Translation...

"When politicians leave their mistresses and rent boys and head home to spend more time with their families".

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I think you are correct. I think Ford will ask you to commit when you don't know what CT production volumes will be. The question is, if you don't know when you are getting your CT and how much it will cost at that time, would you order or cancel your lightening? Assuming you have seen CT update and it is slightly better than original and there is no markup on lightening.
I interpreted the comment from the other direction.

Ford will pressure for a commitment before they have put their own final specs out. Sort of what they seemed to be doing with the new Bronco.

On a side note, I was hoping for an electric Bronco. That'd be cool. Probably another 5 - 10 years maybe.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Ford will pressure for a commitment before they have put their own final specs out. Sort of what they seemed to be doing with the new Bronco.
Maybe I am just too old but making a $40K-$90K commitment to something without knowing what it is sound a bit out there to me. I have heard there are some Ford dealers that do not require cash for the order, you just have to find them. They will love it if you change your mind and don’t pick up the pickup. They can markup the same truck and make more off of it.

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
Do you own a Tesla????
I own a Tesla (Model S) and have been driving it since 2017. I also have some wheel time behind a Model 3 and Model X. Have test driven a Model Y.

Tesla as a company has had some quality issues with the physical car (panel gaps, paint etc.) as well as some of the early electric motors and batteries, which are largely sorted out. You have to realize that as far as an auto manufacturer goes, they are still quite young. Think of Ford when it was only 15 years into making Model T's. They probably had all sorts of issues to sort out.

Technology wise, they are a top tier Silicon Valley software and hardware house. They hire Tier 1 engineers and invest in fundamental materials and chemistry research, pushing the state of the art science forward. This is evident in the products they make surpassing everything else out there. (0-60 in <2 seconds in a large luxury sedan, for instance).

I owned a 2014 Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid which was a nice cruiser. The Tesla is a different animal. So much useable power/torque, it's a pleasure to drive. The major downside is that it has ruined my love of high end German autos (BMW, AMG, and Porsche..to some extent). There's just nothing like a top tier EV.

Very much looking forward to the Cybertruck, and I think the F150 Lightning is also going to be an amazing fleet / contractor vehicle. We are just entering into a really exciting time for the industry with respect to light trucks, where technology is going to have rapid progress forward, where it has been stagnant for quite some time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As a comparison, Ford sold about as many original Model A as Tesla did Roadsters in the first two years.

Ford took about five years to get to half a million cars sold after launching the Model T. Tesla took three years.

Production hell hit the Model T line really hard! And Ford didn't have to advertise for nearly a decade once the Model T was selling half a million a year. Remind you about Tesla?

Anyhow... Those were cars that were really different in their time. And that's how this is today, pushing forward the competition. If Tesla could make as many as they could sell...

-Crissa

X32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Audio Tech
Country flag
F150 doesn't supercharge. That alone rules it out for me, otherwise I would consider it.

Another issue I have, last time I checked you still couldn't put a sheet of plywood in the bed of an F150, at least laying it flat. I can hall a load of plywood in my minvan but not in a full size Ford truck. Does that seem right to you?

All the other extras that come with the CT, that the F150 doesn't have, just makes the decision that much easier.
Sponsored