Fit and Finish Concerns — STILL

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Being that it's a Tesla, a young auto manufacturing company, I decided to wait until the morning of day 2 to reserve my Cybertruck.

I can almost guarantee that the first year of production will have teething issues that will need to be ironed out.

I don't think that body panel alignment will be an issue. Elon has already made his expectations very clear regarding body panel tolerances. The CEO's marching orders have already been given to the CT manufacturing leadership team.

The issues will probably be loose interior trim, squeaks and rattles, electrical gremlins, software updates, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
Even the guy who wrote the whining InsideEVs article admitted on the very last paragraph that it was a prototype he was looking at, but he still submitted all of those “crappy build” lies as if this was production.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Hey Friends,

I’m excited as you are about CT. Can’t freaking wait.

I am concerned about the build quality issues that we’re still seeing. That matte black one was sick!! (I’ll be getting mine in matte black). But you’d think that since Franz was the one driving it around, and that it’s such a late build, that some of these major issues wouldn’t still be showing up.

Does anyone with the right knowledge and experience to answer this have a thought about what the build quality of those releases on Nov 30 might look like?

It will look the same. Just 0.10 micron whatever panel gap, just like EM said.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR (21 & 23)
Country flag
People should not lie to themselves about Tesla quality control. The Model Y is in its fourth Model year, having sold two million copies and the cars rolling out of Fremont still have among the worst quality control in the industry.

We have owned (2) 2021 Model Ys and now a third 2023. All have had unique, ridiculous problems and our newest one actually has the worst quality. It was delivered badly scratched needing 3/4 doors adjusted and has needed a new front drive unit and driver window motor inside of 5K miles. The loaner Model 3 I am currently driving due to service has 15K miles and rattles like crazy from all over the cabin.

The cybertruck ramp will be brutal and more than a few of them will get to customers looking like Franz's. It's just how they roll.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
People should not lie to themselves about Tesla quality control. The Model Y is in its fourth Model year, having sold two million copies and the cars rolling out of Fremont still have among the worst quality control in the industry.

We have owned (2) 2021 Model Ys and now a third 2023. All have had unique, ridiculous problems and our newest one actually has the worst quality. It was delivered badly scratched needing 3/4 doors adjusted and has needed a new front drive unit and driver window motor inside of 5K miles. The loaner Model 3 I am currently driving due to service has 15K miles and rattles like crazy from all over the cabin.

The cybertruck ramp will be brutal and more than a few of them will get to customers looking like Franz's. It's just how they roll.
Sorry to hear about all these problems.

Can I ask why you continue to buy them?

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR (21 & 23)
Country flag
Sorry to hear about all these problems.

Can I ask why you continue to buy them?
The first Model Y saved my wife's life when someone ran a red and t-boned her at 50 mph. Tesla immediately called her to see if she needed help, the app notified me of the accident and showed me where it was, and the videos the car recorded of the accident were invaluable in court. Customer for life.

In addition, Tesla may have the worst quality but they are industry leading in many other areas. Drivetrain refinement and reliability, HP per dollar, cost of ownership, driver assistance, sound system, connectivity, HEPA air filtration, and so on.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
The first Model Y saved my wife's life when someone ran a red and t-boned her at 50 mph. Tesla immediately called her to see if she needed help, the app notified me of the accident and showed me where it was, and the videos the car recorded of the accident were invaluable in court. Customer for life.

In addition, Tesla may have the worst quality but they are industry leading in many other areas. Drivetrain refinement and reliability, HP per dollar, cost of ownership, driver assistance, sound system, connectivity, HEPA air filtration, and so on.
Well, that says a lot. Happy to hear it protected your wife's life.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It will look the same. Just 0.10 micron whatever panel gap, just like EM said.
i know you’re being brief and intentionally flippant, though in case it confuses others:

musk was not talking about “0.10 micron” accuracy of the panel gap alignment

panels gap alignment is basically adjusted and determined by hand, and no human is adjusting to 0.10 micron

instead the micron comment was about parts tolerances. Regarding the panels, that can be about bend angles, cut straightness, and - more of what he was getting at - the flatness of the panels themselves (because any waviness “sticks out like a sore thumb” in reflections).

meanwhile, set aside and ignore that when it comes to bending, cutting, and flattening 3mm stainless steel in an auto part that “sub 10 micron” accuracy is also impossible

🤷🏻‍♂️

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
i know you’re being brief and intentionally flippant, though in case it confuses others:

musk was not talking about “0.10 micron” accuracy of the panel gap alignment

panels gap alignment is basically adjusted and determined by hand, and no human is adjusting to 0.10 micron

instead the micron comment was about parts tolerances. Regarding the panels, that can be about bend angles, cut straightness, and - more of what he was getting at - the flatness of the panels themselves (because any waviness “sticks out like a sore thumb” in reflections).

meanwhile, set aside and ignore that when it comes to bending, cutting, and flattening 3mm stainless steel in an auto part that “sub 10 micron” accuracy is also impossible

🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes… agreed. My snark is really not productive to the conversation. It was simply a reference based on the alleged email from EM.

I suppose it’s the fatigue of post redundancy, as these are not production units, and that Tesla will produce satisfactory fitted panels as the process is more refined. I am sure Tesla is already aware of the issue.

chonnertruk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Telecommunications
Country flag
I've noted some things too from a few months back, but as pointed out they were on the earlier builds. While I've also noticed certain workmanship flaws or build quality issues on some Release Candidates, I've seen some good workmanship as well with a couple more recent Cybertruck sightings.

So I'm going to reserve extensive critical judgment until the first 1000 or so VINs are delivered and then take a close look at a large sample of those. If there are still glaring issues that could've been corrected by then, I'll be pointing those out in detail. I'm hoping there will not be much left to scrutinize by then.

- ÆCIII
I assume during the RC phase most CT's produced were targeted to specific areas of research. Maybe looking at "function over form" instead. Targeting areas like air suspension parts and handling but not concerned with Tonneau cover rolling noise or tailgate gaps.

OP
OP
batlag

batlag

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Medical Business Owner
Country flag
Hi all,

Some helpful input on here. Thank you! I guess I didn’t consider that Franz may have been driving an earlier build. That build from NYC today certainly looks fantastic!
I guess, if I were Franz, I’d be driving around the latest model always because you know it’s going to get a ton of publicity.
Hopefully quality control is solid by launch.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I guess, if I were Franz, I’d be driving around the latest model always because you know it’s going to get a ton of publicity.
*this* is the only astonishing thing about any of it

from choosing (choosing!) to use open transports, with RCs intentionally not dialed in cosmetically (duct taped hoods!?)…

to offroad testing intentionally under-performing scenarios in public 4X4 parks…

to taking obviously un-dialed-in betas to events like C&C…

etc., etc., etc….

Tesla kind of deserves all this smoke, for intentionally flaunting less than retail-finished units

it’s bizarre

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
*this* is the only astonishing thing about any of it

from choosing (choosing!) to use open transports, with RCs intentionally not dialed in cosmetically (duct taped hoods!?)…

to offroad testing intentionally under-performing scenarios in public 4X4 parks…

to taking obviously un-dialed-in betas to events like C&C…

etc., etc., etc….

Tesla kind of deserves all this smoke, for intentionally flaunting less than retail-finished units

it’s bizarre
subverting expectations. make people expect doo doo and then when it comes out. if its not 100% perfect but still better than the doo doo. people will be happy lol
Sponsored