swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I know that there has been a lot of discussion about Tesla's problems with fit/finish on their vehicles, but I'm telling you, the level of concern is overblown (at least for Austin made vehicles). We picked up our "made in Texas" Model Y this weekend (that we ordered back in April) and I gave it a full walk through before accepting delivery and the fit/finish of both the interior and exterior are fantastic! The delivery process was painless and the Tesla rep was very nice and helpful. I think that any time you look at one of the first <15k finish products off of a new line, you are going to have some adjustments that need to be made but I've been extremely impressed with the final product out of Texas, so far. Having driven an S for almost 8 years, I would gladly trade it in for a Model Y (although, I am definitely waiting for the CT to be the replacement). I'm even more excited now that I've seen/driven a product of the Austin Giga (Tera?) factory.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I know that there has been a lot of discussion about Tesla's problems with fit/finish on their vehicles, but I'm telling you, the level of concern is overblown (at least for Austin made vehicles). We picked up our "made in Texas" Model Y this weekend (that we ordered back in April) and I gave it a full walk through before accepting delivery and the fit/finish of both the interior and exterior are fantastic! The delivery process was painless and the Tesla rep was very nice and helpful. I think that any time you look at one of the first <15k finish products off of a new line, you are going to have some adjustments that need to be made but I've been extremely impressed with the final product out of Texas, so far. Having driven an S for almost 8 years, I would gladly trade it in for a Model Y (although, I am definitely waiting for the CT to be the replacement). I'm even more excited now that I've seen/driven a product of the Austin Giga (Tera?) factory.
fit and finish is old FUD. Statistically some issues will arise, but that is true of any vehicle brand.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
fit and finish is old FUD. Statistically some issues will arise, but that is true of any vehicle brand.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The fit and finish complaints go back to 2017/2018. By the time we took delivery of our Model 3 in 2019 there were few if any problems. With our Model Y this past March all was perfect. And yet, the media still claim these issues. The Cybertruck, with a folded skin and doors, flat hood, and simplified undervody, should be largely free of fit issues, and having a SS body should have no finish issues. With all the new technology there will be issues, though, and they will just have to work through them, with lower-numbered reservations being the guinea pigs.

First Name
Kevin Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Ryan Shaw is a great example. He bought a Tesla several years ago. He's a big pro-Tesla pro-EV guy. His old car had fit and finish and build quality problems. He replaced it and his new Model Y has no such issues.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Also, the fit and finish was supposed to match a car in the 20-30k range. (At the time) And it did!

But they were being compared with cars in the 60k range. Cars that didn't have that (at the time) expensive battery pack.

The Model 3 was never meant to compete with luxury cars, and yet it and its cousin, the Model Y, are smashing through the luxury brands.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Also, the fit and finish was supposed to match a car in the 20-30k range. (At the time) And it did!

But they were being compared with cars in the 60k range. Cars that didn't have that (at the time) expensive battery pack.

The Model 3 was never meant to compete with luxury cars, and yet it and its cousin, the Model Y, are smashing through the luxury brands.

-Crissa
Agree on the original Model 3. Also agree the press loves to harp on old Tesla quality issues more than it merits.

But the Model 3 is now a $47k car and the Model Y $65k. They need to have high end finish at this point.

Really, Tesla needs to get their next generation/ lower priced vehicle out the door. That’s going to be their big step up in terms of volume. If they can retain their current quality with their lower end car, it will be a huge hit. (Setting aside any Robotaxi speculation for the sake of argument here).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Agree on the original Model 3. Also agree the press loves to harp on old Tesla quality issues more than it merits.

But the Model 3 is now a $47k car and the Model Y $65k. They need to have high end finish at this point.

Really, Tesla needs to get their next generation/ lower priced vehicle out the door. That’s going to be their big step up in terms of volume. If they can retain their current quality with their lower end car, it will be a huge hit. (Setting aside any Robotaxi speculation for the sake of argument here).
With only 3 major pieces underneath and a world-class paint shop I don't think that is going to be a problem going forward.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I recently took delivery of an R1T. The truck shell has 11 body panels that need to be attached to the body not counting the front valance;

(1) Hood
(1) Tailgate
(2) Front fenders
(4) doors
(2) Gear Tunnel doors
(1) Charging door

5 out 11 are not aligned to my satisfaction. I made out a service ticket to have them adjusted when I took delivery.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I recently took delivery of an R1T. The truck shell has 11 body panels that need to be attached to the body not counting the front valance;

(1) Hood
(1) Tailgate
(2) Front fenders
(4) doors
(2) Gear Tunnel doors
(1) Charging door

5 out 11 are not aligned to my satisfaction. I made out a service ticket to have them adjusted when I took delivery.
Lets hope that with fewer parts it will be easier to get good alignment on the CT body. Also, with the simplified underbody this should help. Hopefully your R1T is great despite these issues.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
So far it’s been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It was also the most expensive😁

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So far it’s been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It was also the most expensive😁
I like both the R1T and the R1S. I was getting a tire installed on my boat trailer wheel at Costco in August and saw an R1S and it looked sweet. Of course there have been many good reviews of both. Congratulations! We can only hope that the Cybertruck, with Tesla being a much more mature EV manufacturer, will have a reasonable price.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I reserved both a few years ago and the R1T came in before the CT.

The Cybertruck will need to blow me away in pricing and specifications to pull me away from my R1T. It’s that good of a vehicle. My guess is the Dual Motor will be around $75k and the Quad Motor in the high $90’s.

LyonStanford

First Name
Lyon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Country flag
I remember when I got my first Tesla and was blown away by the level of detail in the build. Shoutout to the Tesla rep who made the delivery process a breeze, always great to have a helpful dude helping you out. BTW, have you checked out https://www.topcarstesla.com/products/model-y-windshield-sunshade? It's a must-have accessory to keep your ride cool and stylish. I got mine from Tesla and it fits like a glove. It's a small thing, but it makes a big difference in protecting your ride from the sun's rays.
Sponsored

Last edited: