Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
Translation,
"We are not going to give you the ev credit. We are going to raise price accordingly so we can keep credit for ourselves".
Ford Lightening buyers was already getting the $7500 tax credit. The new bill will limit this to vehicles less than $80,000. The Lightening was priced to compete with the original listed Cybertruck pricing. Now that Cybertruck are going up in price it gives Ford room to increase their prices as well.
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
The way I read it was the new EV tax break required that the 40% percent of the EV batteries minerals come from US mining or recycling to qualify....

" Starting in 2024, only EVs with at least 40 percent of their minerals from the United States or nations with U.S. free trade agreements, or with materials recycled in North America, would be able to take full advantage of the reconciliation billā€™s incentive. Cars would also need components manufactured in North America" - https://www.eenews.net/articles/how-manchin-kneecapped-the-climate-bills-ev-tax-credit/

It's a ding for sure if you planned on the incentive but its forces the US to get with the program and be less dependent on other nations for critical minerals and being effected by geopolitical disruptions. Perhaps this can offset some of the job losses with new jobs as well? Obviously not needing to transport materials tens of thousands of miles has costs as well but doubtfully enough to make up for US labor costs.

Last edited:

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
Ahh, I get it now - so this forum basically serves as a pledge to never buy a Ford truck. Seeing as how I'm pledging, where's the free food and booze?
LOL

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger right now, I hope I never have to buy a Ford again. If they make great EVs then I might consider it in the future, but so far they just don't offer anything I am interested in.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
Thatā€™s it, Iā€™m cancelling my Ford reservation and going with the Cybertruck.
Ford only took 200,000 reservations but is opening reservations back up. The price increase doesn't affect the initial group of reservations. Only new reservations will see the price increases.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I'm no MENSA member but I can do basic math.
Ford could be selling their vehicles for 100K and will still lose money until production is fully ramped up (at plants that haven't been built) and there is enough demand to keep them rolling off the line.
As they are ramping up EV's they will be losing ICE vehicle sales.
At some point they will not be making any money on either vehicle type.
At this point they either go bankrupt or are bailed out to save the UAW jobs.
I don't see a happy ending for legacy automakers and new EV startups unless investors or the government pours money in until they can make quality vehicles at a price Joe Public can afford and wants to buy.

You are forgerting one thing. In each vehicle class/type there are multiple competitors.

The first legacy auto company that truly ships EVs at scale has potential to convert its competitors ICE owners to EVs. The first legacy auto company that truly ships EVs at scale might go deeper in debt for short time but still be able to escape a long-term profit trap. It is the 2nd & later legacy auto companies that have no chance.

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
Yes, but over 2k of those Lightning deliveries were in July alone, so they are ramping up.

Going to have to more than quadruple that number to hit their existing reservation list before the next model is supposed to come out.

-Crissa
Isn't Ford losing money on every single Lightning model sold? If this is the case, what incentive do they have to build more Lightning even if there were no production constraints? This makes me believe that Ford will have to increase prices... oh wait, they already did that.

Manufacturing EVs is hard. LOL.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Ford only took 200,000 reservations but is opening reservations back up. The price increase doesn't affect the initial group of reservations. Only new reservations will see the price increases.
mmmmnoooooo. It's retroactive. It's everyone.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Isn't Ford losing money on every single Lightning model sold? If this is the case, what incentive do they have to build more Lightning even if there were no production constraints? This makes me believe that Ford will have to increase prices... oh wait, they already did that.

We don't know for certain. We also don't know if that gets worse or better via scale - like Elon said about gigaAustin and gigaBerlin: all those machines sitting around is a money siphon.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Guys, Ladies, lurkersā€¦ weā€™ve passed from paradigm into revolution. Not one paradigm ICE to EV but three revolutions are now concurrent:
  • Energy revolution(electricity, sustainable, renewable)
  • Global revolution(thermal, geopolitical, technological)
  • World revolution(artificial, society, knowledge)
Cybertruck would be stuck in an ā€Uncanny Valleyā€ were transportation just going through a paradigm shift. What began as a weak shift to an electric motor, global warming kicked to full scale revolution. Up until Cybertruck Tesla was executing on a 5 yr. headstart in motors, battery and networking.
Cybertruck changed all that as a point on the horizon as opposed to just a motor that its competition could target. Cybertruck embodied a Tesla principle philosophy, a Tesla sustainable product(solar) and its renewable product - battery storage.
More than anything cyber in Cybertruck provided Tesla a moving target that its competition could never catch much less equal ā€“but its competition could aim forā€¦
SO it has. Its used the revolution to effect roadblocks and obstacles to slowdown Tesla. While it is, itā€™s gaining them time. Time they lost, distracted , neh ambushed by global warning. Pres. Bidenā€™s pro-union, heavy OEM support is one manifestation. Bidenā€™s $800Billion over 10yrs. financial manufacture incentives greatly enhances their transition to EVā€™s. Thatā€™s what the competition can do, and is, to get back in the game.
FORD is bankrupt by 2026, if it canā€™t scale. GM only has until 2025. More than 400+ automakers are in the same situation. As the provost told my daughterā€˜s college initiation class ā€œlook to the person to your right, now your left ā€” two of you wonā€™t graduate from UCLAā€. That was 1990ā€™s good times!
Tesla stood itself up on the strength of its own efforts, confidence and trial-by-fire thru ā€œproduction Hellā€. Each survives or fails accordingly. Iā€™d like to think Quad Cybertruck, will turn the same trick Roadster, MS Plaid, et. al. which came before; but this is now.
Now pickups need to go to work not play. Now 1 million reservations await cash-in-hand. Cash thatā€™s considerably harder to come by. Now geopolitical transportation disruption begs simpler solutions over complex with shorter supply chains. And better for worse, Tesla needs to produce what they designed even if that means some good engineering gets left off the truck.
Tesla can roadmap, pathway and provide future upgrades. Or at least, make it possible in a RtR future for owners to elect to add FSD, RWS, BAW,Wheel covers, AWD, eAP, 900v, solar roof, Pass-Thru and 4680 batterypack either on their own or discounted via Tesla F1 service.
Now is the time to stop tweaking and get SOP before a fortuitous moment slips away from Tesla and wannabe Cybertruck owners.
Thatā€™s the deal. Cybertruck either kicks off SOP or it canā€™t. Itā€™s that simple.

Great American design has independence built-in by intent. Yankee ingenuity, war-tested, trial and error are long revered national treasure. The damn thing gets stuck, unable to SOP, it isnā€™t the piĆØce de rĆ©sistance it was made out to be now is it.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Every car manufacturer, including Tesla, loses money on the first vehicle sales, because they have to pay back Capex to get a ROI.

The only way you could avoid that is if someone else gifted you a complete vehicle manufacturing factory. šŸ™‚

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Every car manufacturer, including Tesla, loses money on the first vehicle sales, because they have to pay back Capex to get a ROI.

For Tesla this is where the Cybertruck really shines. The CAPEX needed is significantly less than the competition and the Cybertruck will start being profitable at lower volume than the competition.
Sponsored

Last edited: