Foundation Series Remorse

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Keep in mind the EPA rating is full to dead. Then toss on that it is split between highway and city (weighted city). And then the weather and speed. And the AT tires.

Does that all add up to 70 miles? I donā€™t know. More testing probably required.
The test was until full dead. Flashing screen, max speeds slowly dropping until it wouldn't move anymore. I thought the stated range already took the tires into account. They're the only tires available. So flat highway, no other cars in your way, minimal starts and stops, you can't get past 250 mi? I don't know, I just feel like there's got to be a better way to list the mileage of an electric vehicle for the average person. It seems like they're listing the max totally best case driving the car till it stops, who's going to do that?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The test was until full dead. Flashing screen, max speeds slowly dropping until it wouldn't move anymore. I thought the stated range already took the tires into account. They're the only tires available. So flat highway, no other cars in your way, minimal starts and stops, you can't get past 250 mi? I don't know, I just feel like there's got to be a better way to list the mileage of an electric vehicle for the average person. It seems like they're listing the max totally best case driving the car till it stops, who's going to do that?
The temperature and speed is going to stop you. Stick to the EPA mix, you'll get the EPA speed. They assume it'll be 60-70 when most people drive.

šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Tho, for my first long ride on my Zero, I did exactly that. Rode it until it stopped. How else was I going to know? I've driven almost every one of my cars to exhaustion. I've only run out on a road somewhere once, always either on my street or in a gas station. It's just math and measurements.

-Crissa

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I find it interesting that the main concern is always range with EVs. Even from people who own EVs. Itā€™s really only an issue if you donā€™t have home charging. How often does someone take a long road trip? I imagine that the average person with a job doesnā€™t drive 1,000 miles every other week.

dapiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
pilot
Country flag
Why just Tesla? Show me where any other manufacturer has provided that information to you before you bought your first ICE vehicle to help you understand how far you could go on a tank of gas. God forbid you just look at the gauge and stop at the gas station.
It should be all manufacturers, but this is a Cybertruck forum. Youā€™ve never seen a car list itā€™s highway mpg? Ice vehicles are less impacted by the variables mentioned in this thread so Iā€™ve always found it a decent real world indication of range. Iā€™ve been happy with Tesla to date, but Iā€™m disappointed in the lack of transparency on this metric. Iā€™m not saying theyā€™re the only culprits, but to me, itā€™s intentionally misleading to advertise the range theyā€™re advertising.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It should be all manufacturers, but this is a Cybertruck forum. Youā€™ve never seen a car list itā€™s highway mpg? Ice vehicles are less impacted by the variables mentioned in this thread so Iā€™ve always found it a decent real world indication of range. Iā€™ve been happy with Tesla to date, but Iā€™m disappointed in the lack of transparency on this metric. Iā€™m not saying theyā€™re the only culprits, but to me, itā€™s intentionally misleading to advertise the range theyā€™re advertising.
Yeah, but... that's more on the EPA sticking with the dumb mpge for the longest time. They decided to go to the single number for ICE vehicles and that just carried over to the EVs.

-Crissa

dapiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
pilot
Country flag
I find it interesting that the main concern is always range with EVs. Even from people who own EVs. Itā€™s really only an issue if you donā€™t have home charging. How often does someone take a long road trip? I imagine that the average person with a job doesnā€™t drive 1,000 miles every other week.
For the majority, you drive 30 minutes to work, you run some errands, you charge at home and donā€™t think about it. In my industry, there are thousands of us that drive 150-250 mile round trips weekly with no charging at work. Thatā€™s just California and one workgroup. I realize thatā€™s not a significant number in the grand scheme, but to me those highway numbers are important.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
For the majority, you drive 30 minutes to work, you run some errands, you charge at home and donā€™t think about it. In my industry, there are thousands of us that drive 150-250 mile round trips weekly with no charging at work. Thatā€™s just California and one workgroup. I realize thatā€™s not a significant number in the grand scheme, but to me those highway numbers are important.
I agree that the highway numbers are important so maybe an EV isnā€™t appropriate for your use case right now. Like when we consider any other purchase we talk to those who have purchased and experienced the product to give us the info that we need. In this case an EPA sticker, rating or anything else they can provide wouldnā€™t be useful. Considering your industry and mileage, BEVā€™s may not be an option. Your employer can install charging stations if itā€™s cost effective for them to do so, if not then I donā€™t know what else to tell you. Most of us drive EVā€™s BECAUSE we can charge at home and donā€™t drive that far every week.

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
Thereā€™s always that one guy. If you donā€™t know what Iā€™m talking about, itā€™s probably you
Haha i love that saying but no Iā€™m serious. Iā€™m not even trying be a smartass

the CT obviously doesnā€™t work for you in your situation and thatā€™s cool.

Hopefully someday there is an EV truck that works for you and youā€™ll get it.

the CT isnā€™t for everyone or every situation. For me itā€™ll be my daily. I have a 12 mile commute. Then itā€™ll be for my weekend warrior shit like bikes, skis etc.

thatā€™s all I was saying.

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I average 140 miles each work day and I have literally never had a single problem with range. People just want to complain.

dapiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
pilot
Country flag
I agree that the highway numbers are important so maybe an EV isnā€™t appropriate for your use case right now. Like when we consider any other purchase we talk to those who have purchased and experienced the product to give us the info that we need. In this case an EPA sticker, rating or anything else they can provide wouldnā€™t be useful. Considering your industry and mileage, BEVā€™s may not be an option. Your employer can install charging stations if itā€™s cost effective for them to do so, if not then I donā€™t know what else to tell you. Most of us drive EVā€™s BECAUSE we can charge at home and donā€™t drive that far every week.
I canā€™t turn back now. Iā€™ve been staring at it on my desktop for 4 years and I already told my quad motor R1S nextdoor neighbor weā€™re racing soon šŸ˜¬. Just wish I had more data

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Is anyone else having serious concerns/remorse on the foundation series range? I completed my down payment Christmas eve, and since have been seeing range tests maxing out around 250 miles on the freeway.

I currently have a 2022 Model S long range (405 mile range) and have done the trip Milwaukee to New Orleans. All went well and I felt 400 miles was enough to comfortably stop and recharge every 3-4 hours.

I was planning to use the CyberTruck to travel to Florida frequently. Having to stop every 2 hours kind of changes the dynamic of the trip.

Do you think we have anyway of getting out the 1k down payment considering the range seems to not be what was advertised?
250 miles is fine, unless you're giving birth maybe.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I doubt you will get any sympathy from Tesla and IMO you shouldn't. The EPA estimated range is determined by the EPA and not Tesla. So your beef is actually with the EPA.

The EPA range tests are garbage IMO. They run them on a dynamo in a lab until the battery is dead and average out the cycle results. Average highway speed tests are around 50mph and peak around 60mph. They then apply a 0.7 factor to the results to simulate a "real world" result. Its a crap system that is not accurate.

With that being said "real world" highway numbers are more like 70MPH for most people. At 70MPH an EV will never meet the EPA rated range results because the EPA "real world" results are not real world.
It's it more conservative than the euro estimates? Drive 100km per hour.
Sponsored