Front Runner Roof Rack? Testing the waters

Would you get a Roof Rack Platform for your Cybertruck?

• Total voters

Anton_FRO

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Sales Rep at Front Runner Outfitters
Country flag
Hey Everyone!

I'm a rep at Front Runner Outfitters and we've started seeing more and more Cybertrucks in our area near Agoura Hills!
We offer all kinds of roof racks for a variety of vehicles, and I'm reaching out on behalf of our team to see how many folks are interested in getting one of our roof/bed racks!
We already have kits for Rivian vehicles as we received lots of requests from Rivian owners, but we only just started hearing about aftermarket Cybertruck gear.

Generally, we need adequate demand to develop a new kit, but once that demand is present, it doesn't take too long to develop a kit.

We're familiar with the accessory L-track rail in the bed, but this wouldn't be the best place for a rack, since it would prohibit the bed cover from closing.

On the other hand, the 4x Load Bar mounting points on each side are very friendly for aftermarket development.

Tesla's Load Bars do look cool, but for the price, you aren't getting much utility out of those bars, at least not as much as you would get with our Slimline II platform! As always, it's different strokes for different folks, but it's nice to have options!

Let me know if you would be interested in picking up a kit, and I can get with our team to determine if we can make that happen! Feel free to send me a direct message if you'd like to be put down on a 'waitlist' for a rack kit!

Lastly, if you're not sure who we are at Front Runner, check out our website where you'll find our various rack kits, and can check out our 55+ accessories for the rack platform! It would be awesome to see some Cybertrucks with our awesome gear!

For transparency, there is nothing in the works for the Cybertruck at this time, and this is a feeler to see what folks are looking to get for their ride. If you are interested in this kind of thing, let me know what you would use your rack for!

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/
Cheers!
Anton
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Just some advice
If you wanna sell it around here I would suggest doing a detailed range impact analysis with and without typical cargo on it.
Yeah, I specifically chose a rack system for my current vehicle based upon its ease of taking on and off - and its impact on range.

I know when I put stuff on it, it's going to be an impact, but I like to lower it as much as possible when I'm using it.

-Crissa

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Just some advice
If you wanna sell it around here I would suggest doing a detailed range impact analysis with and without typical cargo on it.
+1 - Durability, Range, and Price! If you can hit a sweet spot for all three, I'm sold!

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Also id recommend paying special attention to sound mitigation. I had your slimline midrack on my Gladiator for a bit but I couldn’t get it to stop whistling when there was a crosswind . A diesel Jeep on 40s makes plenty of noise compared to a mostly quiet ev truck.

cyberoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Hey Everyone!

I'm a rep at Front Runner Outfitters and we've started seeing more and more Cybertrucks in our area near Agoura Hills!
We offer all kinds of roof racks for a variety of vehicles, and I'm reaching out on behalf of our team to see how many folks are interested in getting one of our roof/bed racks!
We already have kits for Rivian vehicles as we received lots of requests from Rivian owners, but we only just started hearing about aftermarket Cybertruck gear.

Generally, we need adequate demand to develop a new kit, but once that demand is present, it doesn't take too long to develop a kit.

We're familiar with the accessory L-track rail in the bed, but this wouldn't be the best place for a rack, since it would prohibit the bed cover from closing.

On the other hand, the 4x Load Bar mounting points on each side are very friendly for aftermarket development.

Tesla's Load Bars do look cool, but for the price, you aren't getting much utility out of those bars, at least not as much as you would get with our Slimline II platform! As always, it's different strokes for different folks, but it's nice to have options!

Let me know if you would be interested in picking up a kit, and I can get with our team to determine if we can make that happen! Feel free to send me a direct message if you'd like to be put down on a 'waitlist' for a rack kit!

Lastly, if you're not sure who we are at Front Runner, check out our website where you'll find our various rack kits, and can check out our 55+ accessories for the rack platform! It would be awesome to see some Cybertrucks with our awesome gear!

For transparency, there is nothing in the works for the Cybertruck at this time, and this is a feeler to see what folks are looking to get for their ride. If you are interested in this kind of thing, let me know what you would use your rack for!

Cheers!
Anton

Firstly, love your stuff! I have your rack on my Tacoma’s Diamondback tonneau cover. I’m not planning on buying the Tesla rack in hopes that you make something that works with your current crossbars. Yes please!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hey Everyone!

Cheers!
Anton
There are two things that are specific to the Cybertruck that I would want to see addressed in a rack: (1) the stainless exterior should be mirrored in the rack, and (2) the slanting bed sides need rack legs that have adjustable height so that the rack can be flush with the bed rails or be horizontal/flat. I see a lot of racks on trucks that have adjustable height but yours doesn't appear to be that way.

cyberoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
There are two things that are specific to the Cybertruck that I would want to see addressed in a rack: (1) the stainless exterior should be mirrored in the rack, and (2) the slanting bed sides need rack legs that have adjustable height so that the rack can be flush with the bed rails or be horizontal/flat. I see a lot of racks on trucks that have adjustable height but yours doesn't appear to be that way.
I disagree with your first point. 1) The rack is going over the black window. Mounting to black anchor points. I don’t want to draw attention to my rack.

gundo100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT & Y
Country flag
I will definitely need racks. Looking more for a Thule type 2 bar rack where the rear one can adjust higher when in use to make a canoe horizontal

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I disagree with your first point. 1) The rack is going over the black window. Mounting to black anchor points. I don’t want to draw attention to my rack.
I was speaking for myself, so you are welcome to speak for yourself but why would you disagree with my preferences?

OP
OP
Anton_FRO

Anton_FRO

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Sales Rep at Front Runner Outfitters
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback, everybody! This really helps us out!

Just so you know, here are a few factors that we cannot change in our product line.

Our system is based on the Slimline II rack tray which we mass produce. These are modular components that can be used across various vehicles (of similar size). The mounting components are the parts that change between our kits, but the Slimline II is our flagship tray. The tray is made from black powder-coated aluminum. Our mounting components are generally steel.

We probably will not offer load bars since Tesla offers and sells load bars currently, this will be for a full platform rack system.

Since I am not on the design team, I cannot make any promises regarding the final set of features, but it will most likely not be height-adjustable as we do not offer any existing components that function like this. The footrail, as we call it, is the component we would need to design for the truck. This is simply the solid steel support for the platform that links the platform to the vehicle's mounting points. If I had to guess, this would be a triangle sort of shape that ties the 4x mounting points on each side up to a level mounting surface for the platform/tray. Take this with a grain of salt though!

We design the system to be level with the ground for rooftop tents and such.

We worked a lot with Rivian for our Rivian racks so this next bit is regarding what we found with our Slimline II on those vehicles. Sadly, there isn't too much we can offer regarding range impact analysis because of how many variables are at play. In some cases, the range is barely impacted at all, in others, you inevitably take a hit to the range of the vehicle. Ultimately it comes down to the individual's driving habits such as the speed you like to drive, incline, the load you are carrying by weight, the frontal surface area of the load you are carrying (a big rooftop tent will introduce more drag than a surfboard), and more. As much as I want to provide all this info, it will most likely not be provided and left up to the consumer to decide how to load the system for adventures.

Some folks get a rack just for the appearance and aesthetic, while others get it to carry hundreds and hundreds of lbs in weight. Because our system is so modular and open-ended, we have customers across a wide range of applications. We prioritize the rack being tough and easy to add accessories to.

Any time you add a huge hunk of metal to the roof of a vehicle, electric or not, there is going to be some wind noise at higher speeds. This will be a bit more pronounced on electric vehicles since there is no engine noise to drown out the noise. In our experience with Rivians, the noise is not excessive on a bare rack, but setting the music a bit louder goes a long way. Once you add lights/accessories to the rack, this becomes a case-by-case basis, as each light and accessory will affect this differently.

It's quite difficult to account for every kind of consumer and application, but getting this feedback definitely helps us design a product that checks as many boxes for as many folks as possible.

Once we have a bit more info and/or a few more official requests to offer a kit for the Cybertruck, there is a good chance that we will proceed!

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I would love to have a rack that can be raised and lowered. Lowest possible drag in the stowed position and raised when needed. This would make loading much easier.

Tesla Cybertruck Front Runner Roof Rack? Testing the waters 45c6627501de76a53c2bee2a5ddbe290

Tesla Cybertruck Front Runner Roof Rack? Testing the waters I70MCqh
Sponsored