FSD... Ownership transfer issues (if someone else totals your CT)?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I'm sure a lot of features are controlled by software. Do you expect intermittent windshield wipers to also be a lifetime benefit?
I was not aware that you can purchase intermittent wiper capability, but I can drive a car if they stop providing me with intermittent wiper capability, and I can drive a Tesla without FSD.

I am not saying that for me there 'must' be trasferability. What I am saying is that if the capability is turned on or off at Tesla central, I want the option. More importantly, if I sell the vehicle or, like the OP, my car is totalled, I want the current FSD price for the car. If like @Crissa says the FSD is a permanent bolt on, then it would be damaged in an accident and have to be replaced. So Tesla should not be able to sell FSD on my car twice. If it goes with the car then they cannot turn it off. If it goes with me they must turn it off.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You are funny @Crissa. You know that isn't true. The computer is in every Tesla. The sensors and cameras are in every Tesla. FSD is downloaded to the car's computer. If I am wrong, how come I (or anyone) can purchase FSD and never have to go to the dealership for the 'bolt on'? If it is somehow a bolt on then I withdraw all complaints but I need proof.
Those are bolted to the car, too. ^-^

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
All this talk about buying FSD. CyberTruckTruckGuy has a new proposed model in his newest video.
I added it in a new thread here.

OP
OP
Revoltlution

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
All this talk about buying FSD. CyberTruckTruckGuy has a new proposed model in his newest video.
"Timely Todd." Either he was reading my mind, or he's been reading this tread :)

Yes, I too am beginning to feel like my locked-in-price $7k FSD purchase will be like a one-life unicorn, the last of it's kind. At least this one is wrapped in 3mm stainless.

I like Todd's suggestion and think it could be both fair and lucrative. I would add another idea that Tesla could offer any owner to robotaxi even if you don't use FSD yourself. Kind of like AirBnB, the owner offers the resource to the fleet/community and gets paid for the service.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I saw the video and perhaps Tesla should consider a different pricing model for future FSD users, but the OP, I thought, was talking about current owners. I am even if he wasn’t. I am not keen on subscription services. You end up paying a LOT more over time for them, so they are only cost effective if you use them for a while and then stop, or if you can pass the cost onto someone else. Elon wants the car driving people around in all situations, because it will be safer and more efficient. That means everyone should be using it, and the only cost effective way to do that is with ownership. TCTTG kind of said as much but not in so many words.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I saw the video and perhaps Tesla should consider a different pricing model for future FSD users, but the OP, I thought, was talking about current owners. I am even if he wasn’t. I am not keen on subscription services. You end up paying a LOT more over time for them, ...
Depends on the price point. As Sirfun points out, a low enough price point could get more adoptees at points less than paying up front and net Tesla more cash.

-Crissa

K1200LT Rider

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Avalon, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 2002 Toyota 4Runner, 1999 BMW K1200LT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, Tesla was sued for this. Which is why it follows the car, not the driver. (They settled before it got to court, if I recall)

All options are a moving target. The car's replacement value is a moving target.

-Crissa
Nothing like FSD price increasing. You can't even compare the two. Totally different situations.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
My example is for totalling 2 vehicles, not 3. Anyway, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying it's reasonable for a customer to have to purchase FSD 3 times in my example situation?
FSD is an option, you don’t HAVE to purchase it. If you total 2 Mustangs, should you have to pay to upgrade from the base model to the GT 3 times?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The thing is, adding $10K to the replacement cost when it is a software switch will not sit well with the insurance companies, not even Tesla. I suspect that damage claim payments will be low on this account. I just wrote @elonmusk a letter hoping that Tesla will reconsider this issue.
That's one of the silliest things I've read on this forum. The insurance company insures you for the entire value of the vehicle in the event you total it. They know how much it cost and how much it's depreciated. If you add FSD after the initial purchase you need to call your insurance and cover it for the extra value (or it wo't be covered). None of this is rocket science - it's common sense - or it should be.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevrolet Impala
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One of the things that has been on my mind. What if I (finally!) get my CyberTruck and the next day some drunk driver totals my ride.
Not only is FSD an issue, but... Do I have to wait in line all over again??

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
One of the things that has been on my mind. What if I (finally!) get my CyberTruck and the next day some drunk driver totals my ride.
Look on the bright side. If a vehicle as tough as CT is totaled, you'll probably die in the crash and won't have to worry any more.

**NOT A DEATH THREAT; JUST A JOKE**

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I wondered that also. I don't know the answer, but I did buy a 2nd reservation just before the FSD went from $8k to $10k. If I do have to wait in line again I'm in line twice. I don't know if that is how it works, but for $100 I thought it was worth hedging my bet. My second thought was maybe someone like my dad might want one after seeing mine. I could sell him my first one and then buy my second one.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I would like FSD to be transferable to my next Tesla (especially since it only cost me $5k), but I think overall there are less headaches with it staying with the car. Hear me out.

We KNOW that FSD stays with the car for the new owner to enjoy, but there is still a lot of people out there that don't believe it (I frequent 4 dedicated Tesla forums and 3 more Tesla groups on Facebook). The reason for that is that there have been a few cases where a 3rd-party dealer sells a car "with FSD", only for it to be removed when the new owner registers it with their state and with Tesla. Some of these have been misunderstandings. The traditional dealers are mostly ignorant of how these things work. Some of these could be intentional misleading by the previous owner or the dealer. If the Tesla has a free trial of FSD, one can trick a traditional dealer or an ignorant buyer into thinking that it has fully unlocked FSD. Once it gets registered in their name, Tesla removes it.

The problem I see with transferable FSD is similar. An unscrupulous seller will show that the car has FSD. The buyer wants the car+FSD and buys it. As soon as the paperwork is signed, or anytime before the new owner registers their car, the unscrupulous previous owner contacts Tesla (they still have the car on their account and registered under their name) and tells them to transfer it to their new Model 2. The buyer of the car+FSD now only has the car and no FSD. There are legal avenues for resolution, but I think overall it's more trouble than it's worth.

I can change my mind, if anybody can tell me of a system or method to allow transferring FSD without the risk of deception of buyers or gaming the system.

Edit: Just thought of a possible way that some might argue works. Have Tesla flip a switch or click a button on their servers and automatically all FSD purchases stay in an owner's Tesla account, connected to them only. Then the only way to transfer (in case of sale) is in 2 steps:
1. The new owner to create a Tesla account and provide proof of registration of a Tesla (same as what is done today for access to the Tesla app).
2. The previous owner can transfer FSD from their Tesla account to another account.

The problem lies with all the in-transfer sales at the moment that Tesla flips the switch. They bought when FSD stays with the car. When Tesla flips the switch, now the previous owner gets to keep FSD.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's one of the silliest things I've read on this forum. The insurance company insures you for the entire value of the vehicle in the event you total it. They know how much it cost and how much it's depreciated. If you add FSD after the initial purchase you need to call your insurance and cover it for the extra value (or it wo't be covered). None of this is rocket science - it's common sense - or it should be.
We’ll see how it goes when someone totals a Tesla and tells us whether the price they get from their insurance company to replace the vehicle includes the full price of FSD. I am a pessimist in this regard; I don’t trust insurance companies to do what I expect.