Get a tri-motor or wait another year?

If faced with the choice to upgrade to tri-motor or wait a year to get what you ordered, I:

• Total voters

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Let's say Tesla contacts you, and says it's time to configure your Cybertruck at last. Assuming you ordered a single or dual motor, but they tell you you can upgrade to a tri motor and get it now, or wait another year to get the dual or single motor. What d'ya do?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That depends entirely on what is in the bank account. The only reason for not getting a TriMotor is financial difficulty or discomfort

Deleted member 3884

TriMotor is to expensive for me. I’ll have to wait. If this is the case.

Scot Braley

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97' chevy 4x4 and a 2015 ford fusion hybrid
Occupation
cabinet maker / handyman
Country flag
have to what, can't afford the extra 20 grand. plus I don't think that the extra miles and extra motor is worth it.

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
I don't think it's a decision point yet.

-Crissa
Quite true. When my financial situation changed (largely due to the price of TSLA) I upgraded my reservation to a tri-motor. Money is one decision point and will be a personal one for every buyer.

However AFAIK it is most likely that the first production tri-motor Tesla will be the Plaid Model S, which tesla.com currently suggests will be available in "late 2021". I would like to see Tesla work the kinks out of that drive train before I pay for it, and even then, I am assuming these are same/similar designs.

Just not enough info yet, IMO. Maybe right about this time next year...

cyberboi

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
turbo
Country flag
That depends entirely on what is in the bank account. The only reason for not getting a TriMotor is financial difficulty or discomfort
This.

Of course those who have $50K cash for a dual motor most likely also have $70K cash for a tri. Go big or go home.

cary1219

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FSD Tri-Motor CyberTruck Pre-Order RN114148589, 2016 FSD Tesla Model S 75, 1982 C10 Stepside, 1974 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Occupation
Industrial Training Coordinator
Country flag
I already ordered the tri and friends are trying to talk me down - no way!
If the'd give the dual 500 miles I'd drop down in a heartbeat. It's the only reason I'm in on the tri list.

LKP

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid
Occupation
Retired manager
Country flag
Let's say Tesla contacts you, and says it's time to configure your Cybertruck at last. Assuming you ordered a single or dual motor, but they tell you you can upgrade to a tri motor and get it now, or wait another year to get the dual or single motor. What d'ya do?
Chances are this will likely be a once in a lifetime purchase, so go all out. 20K extra over any years isn’t really that much. What I would like to see however, is a CT dual motor with a 500 mile range at an in between price point of 59K. I wonder if Tesla is even considering that?

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
have to what, can't afford the extra 20 grand. plus I don't think that the extra miles and extra motor is worth it.
Don't forget that extra miles = longer battery pack life based on cycles. A 500 mile battery only requires 1/2 as many cycles as a 250 mile battery pack for the same range. Thus in theory, a 500 mile battery pack should allow 2x as many total miles before being replaced than the smaller pack. Not that it will magically put 20k into your pocket. LOL

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
I've ordered a dual, but as I'm at 667k in the line? Who really knows? And I live in Oz, the RHD may get pushed even further back. I'm also getting a bit long in the teeth I have left...so, I'm wondering if I upgrade to the tri, will it help me get it a bit sooner?
I would have ordered the single motor as the speed acceleration is not a real requirement. BUT FWD and range are. I have a small farm and the distances between chargers here are considerable.
If what Cyberman said can make a difference, can an upgrade to tri work for me. Money will be difficult, but I can leave the debt to my son :)