Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I had this chart from somewhere over a year ago. I have no idea if the clearance and approach numbers are close for the Cybertruck.

The Rivian numbers are impressive any way you slice it.

There is a really interesting discussion in the "Rivian R1T Electric Truck | Hoist Review" video (starting 4:10 for a couple of minutes) about longer control arms now how that gives Rivian the ground clearance.

Re: Underside (lower control arm) of Cybertruck pictures --- I was sure I saw some pictures (video) in the past several days but I sure can't find it now.

4x4-ing angle (pun):
Tesla Cybertruck Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms dimensions-comparable-ground-clearances-
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
There is a really interesting discussion in the "Rivian R1T Electric Truck | Hoist Review" video (starting 4:10 for a couple of minutes) about
longer control arms now how that gives Rivian the ground clearance.

Re: Underside (lower control arm) of Cybertruck pictures --- I was sure I saw some pictures (video) in the past several days but I sure can't find it now.
This was the image I saw back then and mentioned above.

It sure doesn't seem like those control arms are as long as what the Rivian does. See video for advantages. Maybe my perception is off.

Tesla Cybertruck Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms GV3dED2

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
This was the image I saw back then and mentioned above.

It sure doesn't seem like those control arms are as long as what the Rivian does. See video for advantages. Maybe my perception is off.
Jordan & Cory from Munro talk about my point above in their video.

video at 2m 24s (144s).

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
It seems like Corey said that this part of the CT will be stronger and lighter than the Rivian's. It is definitely less complicated. This type of cost saving and weight saving will be all through the CT. It'll be interesting to see how it compares weight-wise and cost-wise... and capability-wise. Actually, I think the CT will be competitive with regular old ICE trucks as well.

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Jordan & Cory from Munro talk about my point above in their video.
video at 2m 24s (144s).
<snip> see above
Re: control arms
Re: under the vehicle clearance

Cybertruck underside Images from the Electrek article give an idea of how long the control arms are. The first image make them look long but the 2nd image gives an overall view. 1/3 of the width underside.
Tesla Cybertruck Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms DQguFL4

Tesla Cybertruck Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms n91ChRX

Tesla Cybertruck Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms screenshot-2023-08-11-at-3-58-42-pm-

Tesla Cybertruck Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms pagf16m-

Rivian from video at top. Looks like the Rivian has potentially more underside clearance (not sure after adding 3 CT pict above). I realize the wheels are down on the Rivian but just looking at the shape of the control arms.
Tesla Cybertruck Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms bwyIdLw

Last edited:
OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Cannot wait until someone does some real world testing and gives us the exact Approach, depature, and break over stats.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Cannot wait until someone does some real world testing and gives us the exact Approach, depature, and break over stats.
In any event, I’ll take with a grain of salt the stats as relate to “extraction” mode**

Really want to see “high” and “very high” stats, though. These are the highest where most any off-roading will be done that causes you to care about these stats.

**not that extraction mode doesn’t exist, it does, and it’s bananas, but it’s also not the sort of thing you’ll want to use for any normal off-roading

btw, this is
what it looks like in extract (remember this video?)

Tesla Cybertruck Ground clearance, Approach Angle, Departure Angle - longer control arms 1702174418448

10” between top of tire and fender flare

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Having high-centered a truck on a rock and on snow, I would have really appreciated an Extract mode instead of being yanked free with a strap.
Sponsored