Hey Dog Lovers, Campers, Contractors, and DIY folks! How do we petition the inventor of "Dog-Mode", to give Cyber a pass thru rear window option?

Nathon

First Name
Nathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 , Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I would like a full sized pass through similar to the Chevy Avalanche, except fold down a little flatter. It would also be awesome if the back seat was easy to remove for those camping weekends and hauling loads.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Why? Garage doors aren't.

-Crissa
Ever heard of a guillotine. With the Vault cover it could get you coming and going. hahaha, yes garage doors still operate and I hit the button and run for it before ours closes all the time. You have lots of time with a garage door. How would you feel about sticking your head out the window of a car and having the electric window start to close. Imagine if the Cybertruck had a rear window that could go down, and while it was down, your doggie had it's head stuck through the opening. I for one don't want the vault door to be able to operate in that situation.
BTW, I have a Sienna with electric sliding doors. My handicap daughter loves to push the button to close the door on dad while I'm half inside working on her seatbelt. ? :oops: :ROFLMAO:
NOT FUN for me, but Jenna laughs and thinks it's great fun! It's gotten to the point where my wife automatically disables the doors while I'm working with her.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why would a door be less likely to catch fingers tha another door?

it seems a vacuous argument, Sirfun. I've busted up more fingers (and my face a couple,times) shutting car doors than windows or rollups.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Why would a door be less likely to catch fingers tha another door?

it seems a vacuous argument, Sirfun. I've busted up more fingers (and my face a couple,times) shutting car doors than windows or rollups.

-Crissa
Whatever :ROFLMAO: Neither of us has any pull with Tesla. And Tesla is gonna do whatever they are gonna do. I personnally would like the Vault cover to be inoperable when any part of the back mid-gate is open. It sounds like you don't think there a need. Tesla will decide.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm going to assume the cover will not move if a passthrough is open. Not because of it close or opening on someone, but just because it opens into the wall dividing the cab and the bed. If the passthrough allows us to fold that down like the Avalanches midgate, then it no longer has anywhere to go. The only way it would work while a passthrough is open is if when you opened the passthrough, there was a crack along the width of the truck for the cover to enter and exit, which I wouldn't want filling up with dirt, rocks, woodchips or even my phone falling down there.

I really want a passthrough but we still have no confirmation. I was watching the video of the cover opening and closing and one thing that caught my mind was the width of the cover is nearly the width of the truck near the top of the cover. obviously the wall between the cab and the bed is hollow to allow the cover to pass through it, then there is also the track for the cover to travel on. They will need to connect the back wall of the cab and the wall of the bed together within the exoskeleton of the truck. If we want the window to roll down, we would need another slot in that wall as well for the window and a motor.

I don't know whether it can be done or not. I don't know the strength of their steel or really anything at all about the Exoskeleton design and what parts give it the most strength that is needed for jobs like towing 14000lbs. I would think if that wall is already hollow for the cover, adding another hollow area for the window wouldn't be too hard. And if the wall is already hollow, maybe it's not needed for structural support and they can make it so it can fold.

Those were just things I had thought about, but Tesla has smarter engineers than me, so hopefully they can give us an awesome feature for camping and dogs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Like a giant trunk!

Yeah, I hope the gate opens with the tonneau down. It would be a pain to have to lift it every time. But I could see a reason wanting them to bind together for strength.

After seeing how the tonneau works, I really don't see why they need anything else as the midgate.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Like a giant trunk!

Yeah, I hope the gate opens with the tonneau down. It would be a pain to have to lift it every time. But I could see a reason wanting them to bind together for strength.

After seeing how the tonneau works, I really don't see why they need anything else as the midgate.

-Crissa
They could have the tonneau lift by an inch when you open the tail gate, similar to frameless windows lowering a bit when you open the door on Audi TT.
I don't think the cover needs to be attached to the tailgate for strength.
What do you think of my hypothesis that the cover doesn't actually roll up but remains flat under the bed? From my looks at the prototype operating I thought the cover only retracted to the top of the bulkhead and probably went under the bed back to the under bed storage. From the speed/ smoothness of the deployment it didn't look to me like the cover was forming a roll. In addition I thought it looked like a cable was pulling it shut and I imagined a cable attached to each end of tonneau with the drive mech somewhere besides the in bed storage. An other reason I think the cover only retracted to the top of the bulkhead is that the gap between cab and bulkhead would need some cover to prevent cargo intrusions.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What do you think of my hypothesis that the cover doesn't actually roll up but remains flat under the bed?
That seems unlikely as it would be a point of weakness and raise the bed further.

And I have no idea if the tonneau will interlock with the gate, but seeing as they have done that with their windows on everything...

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Didn't elon tweet something a while ago about a "port hole door" or similar. Any1 remember that? I think he was talking about a pass through. But I could also be remembering something else

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Didn't elon tweet something a while ago about a "port hole door" or similar. Any1 remember that? I think he was talking about a pass through. But I could also be remembering something else
If you are referring to like a smaller hole within the wall between the back seats and the bed. I don't think this would be likely outcome. The wall is hallow on the inside to allow the cover to open and close, for a smaller hole, it would require that you open it on both sides of the cover. Also this would require a bit more storage space for the cover when the bed is open. If you watch the video of the cover opening and closing on youtube, you can listen for when the cover stops moving and it is right when the last part of it enters the wall. The cover still has a large portion of it within the wall when it is open, at least on the prototype it does.

I think if they are going to do a passthrough, they will most likely do a full midgate like the chevy avalanche or they will at least roll down the window.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Ah, good deduction Moose.
I looked at the bed area for the first time ina while. It looks like it would be pretty difficult to do a full mid gate.
First, the window appears to be solidly mounted.
Second, the vault cover rolls up into the midgate area, so it bound to be like a ft thick or more
And c, I think that whole mid area is part of the structure of the truck.

I guess its possible to have the glass roll down into the midgate and have the gate unlock and fold back into the bed (adding an area for it to fit flushly) or remove the seats and fold forward into the cab. But like I said this seems like a lot of work.

What I Can see potentially easily to implement is a pass through under in the bottom half of the midgate area. It looks like it is thicker at the top so I'm assuming that's where the vault cover rolls up into, potentially leaving a gap under the rolled up vault roll in the midgate area. If that makes sense.

Either way I, like most of us, really want a pass through.

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Ah, good deduction Moose.
I looked at the bed area for the first time ina while. It looks like it would be pretty difficult to do a full mid gate.
First, the window appears to be solidly mounted.
Second, the vault cover rolls up into the midgate area, so it bound to be like a ft thick or more
And c, I think that whole mid area is part of the structure of the truck.

I guess its possible to have the glass roll down into the midgate and have the gate unlock and pivot into the bed (adding an area for it to fit flushly) or remove the seats and pivot into the cab. But like I said this seems like a lot of work.

What I Can see potentially easily to implement is a pass through under in the bottom half of the midgate area. It looks like it is thicker at the top so I'm assuming that's where the vault cover rolls up into, potentially leaving a gap under the rolled up vault roll in the midgate area. If that makes sense.

Either way I, like most of us, really want a pass through.
I think a full passthrough is definitely possible and having the window roll down into into the wall shouldn't take up much room. If you've ever taken a car door apart and looked at at how much space it actually takes up within the door, i'd say it's not even 2 inches. Tesla also wouldn't need to put a thick piece of metal between the window and the cover while they are both in the wall, a very thin piece would do perfectly fine.

The structure of the truck was also my biggest concern but we have to remember, if that peice inside the wall is hollow for the cover to open and close, we need to remember that the back of the bed and the wall behind the back seats aren't fully connected. Without them being connected, we can assume that the points that are providing the most structural strength in this area are all around the left, right, and under the cover. With this information, Tesla would just need to connect the wall on each side of th cover and allow the whole thing to fold, since the cover is flexible, it should be able to remain inside and fold too. Now i'm making this sound simpler than I actually believe it is, but it's just to stress that the thoery is possible without sacrificing the stregnth of the Cybertruck too much.
Sponsored