Home charging Cybertruck using Tesla Mobile Wall connector?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
I recommend a 60-amp circuit, when feasible, especially for the Cybertruck.
But what if you don't drive at all one day? And you only average 20 miles per day normally? Then you could charge at 120v 6A and regain all of your lost range on that day you don't drive, so 240v 60A would be a total waste. :LOL:

In all seriousness...

VoltsAmps% regained in 14 hoursPack size
1201216.39%123000
1201520.49%123000
2401540.98%123000
2402054.63%123000
2403081.95%123000
24040109.27%123000
24048131.12%123000

Here's math, excluding the required breaker rating. Decide for yourselves what you care about. This assumes no losses, so reality will be ~10% worse

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
But what if you don't drive at all one day? And you only average 20 miles per day normally? Then you could charge at 120v 6A and regain all of your lost range on that day you don't drive, so 240v 60A would be a total waste. :LOL:

In all seriousness...

VoltsAmps% regained in 14 hoursPack size
1201216.39%123000
1201520.49%123000
2401540.98%123000
2402054.63%123000
2403081.95%123000
24040109.27%123000
24048131.12%123000

Here's math, excluding the required breaker rating. Decide for yourselves what you care about. This assumes no losses, so reality will be ~10% worse
Yep. The important principle is to size it for your worst case, when it's practical to do that. When you have that big weekend planned and you want to leave after you get home from work or your son or daughter needs to borrow your car one night to drive to a neighboring town and back for an evening event. Or maybe YOU want to drive to an evening event and still wake up with an 80% charge the next morning.

In general, the more energy you have, the more active you are, the less you sleep, the more your EV consumes, the more hours you spend driving or away from home, the higher the charging power you will want. Even in a super-efficient Model 3, I've found 32 amps to be limiting from time to time.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Yup, I drive a 110 miles a day in MYLR … I get about “45mph” on my Wall Connector. I was planning to use that but apparently it won’t support Powershare and I need to get their new Universal Charger to do that??
yep i believe that is correct, thats another reason to get the wall connector

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
personally i would never charge on 120v its just more wear and tear, losses and inefficiencies (more heat, power electronics active longer, car sleeps less, pumps run longer, battery heater runs longer/hotter, etc) and if you are in a cold climate then its even worse with battery heating and stuff too. maybe in warm climates its not a problem but personally i never would.

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I finally opened my mobile connector box that came with the cybertruck. I was surprised to see it is a little different then the other ones I have with the Model 3 and Model Y. It’s a bit smaller and lighter. Is this because there is an amp difference?

Cirrus SR22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
How many miles do you do daily? How long does it take to charge at 32A? Is that within your charging windows? Then the difference between 32A and 40A is irrelevant.

Fastest isn't best, when fastest isn't needed.
CT will charge at 17/18 MPH on the Mobile wall connector at 32ampa which is the max.

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I have a first gen 240V, 48 Amp wall charger. It charges my M3 at about 45 MPH. With the same charger it will charge the CT at a lower rate. Just stating the obvious, that's all....

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
CT will charge at 17/18 MPH on the Mobile wall connector at 32ampa which is the max.
204 miles in 12 hours.

But since the vast majority of commutes is less than 50 miles, 6 hours or less.

Sounds sufficient to me.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Yep. The important principle is to size it for your worst case, when it's practical to do that. When you have that big weekend planned and you want to leave after you get home from work or your son or daughter needs to borrow your car one night to drive to a neighboring town and back for an evening event. Or maybe YOU want to drive to an evening event and still wake up with an 80% charge the next morning.
Absolutely not. And it's pretty impossible to do so.

Worst case. I come home on empty. I get a call about a death in family and I have to leave to the funeral.

Your solution? Install a Supercharger, because a 60A wall charge just isn't going to help.

And before you respond with "be realistic" I'm taking YOUR statement.

Reality is that you should install what is realistic for you. It may be a simple 120V 15A plug that is already available or may be something bigger.

For me a 240V 60A circuit wouldn't even be optimum, I've got 2 Teslas.
And assuming that you will only have 1 EV is something that is quickly becoming a thing of the past. 100A shared circuits are becoming much more popular.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Absolutely not. And it's pretty impossible to do so.

Worst case. I come home on empty. I get a call about a death in family and I have to leave to the funeral.

Your solution? Install a Supercharger, because a 60A wall charge just isn't going to help.

And before you respond with "be realistic" I'm taking YOUR statement.

Reality is that you should install what is realistic for you. It may be a simple 120V 15A plug that is already available or may be something bigger.

For me a 240V 60A circuit wouldn't even be optimum, I've got 2 Teslas.
And assuming that you will only have 1 EV is something that is quickly becoming a thing of the past. 100A shared circuits are becoming much more popular.
OK, I think I'm finally starting to get it: You just like to argue. ;)

On a more serious note, I do think you would have better advice for people if you had ever dealt with winter weather or had long hours away from home. Not everyone lives in Georgia and only hangs out at home when not at work.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
personally i would never charge on 120v its just more wear and tear, losses and inefficiencies (more heat, power electronics active longer, car sleeps less, pumps run longer, battery heater runs longer/hotter, etc) and if you are in a cold climate then its even worse with battery heating and stuff too. maybe in warm climates its not a problem but personally i never would.
I believe that the 120v may be better for your battery at 15amps as opposed to quickly filling the battery using a wall charger at 48amps.
Typically for lithium batteries they do better with a slow charge opposed to a fast one.
So assuming you daily charge to 80% and don't drive much so you don't need the range I believe using a 120v charger and 10-15amps is going to be better for the overall health of the battery. Same logic applies to home charging at lower amps is better than frequently supercharging.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
OK, I think I'm finally starting to get it: You just like to argue. ;)

On a more serious note, I do think you would have better advice for people if you had ever dealt with winter weather or had long hours away from home. Not everyone lives in Georgia and only hangs out at home when not at work.
There you go changing the argument again.

My point, put in what you nominally need and what comes at a realistic cost. Don't plan for the worse case.
120V 15A won't work for everyone, but it works for a large percentage.

And I hope that you are assuming that not everyone in the winter climates parks outside.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There you go changing the argument again.

My point, put in what you nominally need and what comes at a realistic cost. Don't plan for the worse case.
120V 15A won't work for everyone, but it works for a large percentage.

And I hope that you are assuming that not everyone in the winter climates parks outside.
My advice is a little different. Don't be afraid to put in a robust charging circuit, assuming your panel can handle it. If your panel can't handle it and you are currently on a tight budget, or the run is very long and you are on an especially tight budget, then make do with less. But my basic assumption is that people on especially tight budgets are not very likely to be buying new Cybertrucks at this point in time.

It won't be very many years before houses with only a 15 amp 120V charging circuit will be undesirable to a large percentage of home buyers, so investing now is not only increasing the utility and ability of your EV(s), but also the resale value of your home. People have enough to do when they are moving, so you are dollars ahead to have modern infrastructure in your home when you sell it. Georgia is way behind on electrification, many years behind, so you might not have the benefit of seeing what I'm seeing on the West Coast in the real estate market. EVs are hitting the inflection point, they are unstoppable.

The Cybertruck benefits from a robust charging circuit more so than most EVs.

Oh, and I'm not changing the argument, simply highlighting different facets of the benefits of not going with the minimum you think you need. Another facet of this is you might get laid off, and be forced take a job with a considerably longer commute that leaves you with less time to charge. The future is hard to see.

I believe in doing the job right, the first time. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
My advice is a little different. Don't be afraid to put in a robust charging circuit, assuming your panel can handle it. If your panel can't handle it and you are currently on a tight budget, or the run is very long and you are on an especially tight budget, then make do with less. But my basic assumption is that people on especially tight budgets are not very likely to be buying new Cybertrucks at this point in time.

It won't be very many years before houses with only a 15 amp 120V charging circuit will be undesirable to a large percentage of home buyers, so investing now is not only increasing the utility and ability of your EV(s), but also the resale value of your home. People have enough to do when they are moving, so you are dollars ahead to have modern infrastructure in your home when you sell it. Georgia is way behind on electrification, many years behind, so you might not have the benefit of seeing what I'm seeing on the West Coast in the real estate market. EVs are hitting the inflection point, they are unstoppable.

The Cybertruck benefits from a robust charging circuit more so than most EVs.

Oh, and I'm not changing the argument, simply highlighting different facets of the benefits of not going with the minimum you think you need. Another facet of this is you might get laid off, and be forced take a job with a considerably longer commute that leaves you with less time to charge. The future is hard to see.

I believe in doing the job right, the first time. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
My last quote was for over $5,000 to install a charger. But the panel is 100 ft away and 3 sidewalks to go under. I had a NEMA 14-50 in the last house. In the old house I was also able to charge one car off the NEMA 14-50 and the other at 120V. This house? A single plug that we have to alternate charging on.
Sponsored