Home charging Cybertruck using Tesla Mobile Wall connector?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You need 74 kWh to go from 20% to 80% in a Cybertruck, not subtracting 5-10% for inefficiencies, so call it 80 kWh. At only 32 amps, that will take ten and a half hours, assuming no energy used to heat the battery. If you have the full 48 amps available, that shortens to only seven and a half hours. For people who might arrive home at 9 pm and who want to leave at 6 am with 80% that will make a big difference in being able to do that. What if you arrive home from the big city at midnight and have a full day following? With only 32 amps you are out of luck; you will be stopping at a Supercharger to fill up on electrons costing twice as much to four times as much!
...That's a stupid long day.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
I like using the mobile connector from time to time. Yet I have purchased a few wall connectors for out of town friends and family. Never thought it as future proofing, but just makes me visit them more often. Yet now with NACS I am sure they are just as happy as I was at install.

I don't get into things like this often. Yet some rules I have always found and followed.

Ask and look, and never assume with electricity. It never hurts. Alternative might.
Don't use your car as an amp limiter for poor electrical runs. One can never count on it.
If you use someone else's electricity try to, or pay for it. Don't be a Cheapskate.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I believe that the 120v may be better for your battery at 15amps as opposed to quickly filling the battery using a wall charger at 48amps.
Typically for lithium batteries they do better with a slow charge opposed to a fast one.
So assuming you daily charge to 80% and don't drive much so you don't need the range I believe using a 120v charger and 10-15amps is going to be better for the overall health of the battery. Same logic applies to home charging at lower amps is better than frequently supercharging.
On a normal 15 amp circuit you can only pull 12 amps continously. So that 1.44 kw. In a pack the size of tesla or any EV for that matter 1.44 kw or even 7 or 15 kilowatts is literally nothing. It's not even 1C. Trust me it's doing more harm then good. But you'll probably not see the effects in your lifetime with the car. Except higher Power bill.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
On a normal 15 amp circuit you can only pull 12 amps continously. So that 1.44 kw. In a pack the size of tesla or any EV for that matter 1.44 kw or even 7 or 15 kilowatts is literally nothing. It's not even 1C. Trust me it's doing more harm then good. But you'll probably not see the effects in your lifetime with the car. Except higher Power bill.
Interesting, most of the high mileage long term owner Teslas I have seen have used the mobile wall connectors and charged at low rate of speed.

Unsure the logic of 10Amp mobile charger vs 48Amp other than the battery heating up quickly with the 48Amp. I don't think there would be additional electricity lost on a slow charge via a fast chart, and assuming car is stored inside which most are a slow 10A should result in less pack heat than a 48A charge?

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Interesting, most of the high mileage long term owner Teslas I have seen have used the mobile wall connectors and charged at low rate of speed.

Unsure the logic of 10Amp mobile charger vs 48Amp other than the battery heating up quickly with the 48Amp. I don't think there would be additional electricity lost on a slow charge via a fast chart, and assuming car is stored inside which most are a slow 10A should result in less pack heat than a 48A charge?
Back when i actually went to the office and i level 1 charged:
Tesla Cybertruck Home charging Cybertruck using Tesla Mobile Wall connector? 1711629601593-or

when i am home level 2 charging:
Tesla Cybertruck Home charging Cybertruck using Tesla Mobile Wall connector? 1711629640225-2q

level 1 charging is more wasteful,

lets just assume the thermal system (pumps, heatpump, pack heater, etc) consumes 500 watts, that is 500 watts not going into the battery. Example math:

16 amps x 120 = 1,920 - 500 = 1,420 charging watts 74% efficient

16 amps x 240 = 3,840 - 500 = 3,340 charging watts 87% efficient

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Back when i actually went to the office and i level 1 charged:
1711629601593-or.png

when i am home level 2 charging:
1711629640225-2q.png

level 1 charging is more wasteful,

lets just assume the thermal system (pumps, heatpump, pack heater, etc) consumes 500 watts, that is 500 watts not going into the battery. Example math:

16 amps x 120 = 1,920 - 500 = 1,420 charging watts 74% efficient

16 amps x 240 = 3,840 - 500 = 3,340 charging watts 87% efficient
True, the consumption from pumps, pack heater in cold, etc has a running cost. Wonder what that efficiency difference over the lifetime of the battery would cost in efficiency loss vs pack wear and tear charging at a higher amperage.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

The Teslas that have the highest mileage do nothing but Supercharge, multiple times per day.
Sponsored