Recommended home charger system for Cybertruck?!

Vics44

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Dodge Ram limited loaded 4x4
Occupation
Retired law enforcement & business owner CEO
Country flag
I read a lot but don’t post a lot on this forum. I haven’t seen a recommended home charging system for the CyberTruck. Has one been recommended?! If so, approx installed cost?! Pictures of it? Space required etc?

Thanks for any info in advance.
Sponsored

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
I read a lot but don’t post a lot on this forum. I haven’t seen a recommended home charging system for the CyberTruck. Has one been recommended?! If so, approx installed cost?! Pictures of it? Space required etc?

without knowing an ETA on the next level wall charger and the size of the battery pack <all we have is an ESTIMATE from a document> it is impossible to make a meaningfull recomendation.. for ME.. it will be the standard wall charger they have out now.. but ONLY because i never go over 100 miles on a day unless on a road trip.. my average annual total drive is under 6k miles.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
There a some unknowns at this point, including a possible next generation Tesla wall connector, and there are other brand offerings of EV home charging connectors to consider.

What the fast ones will all have in common, is a need for 220volt or two-phase current. That translates to an open pair of slots in a house breaker panel or load center, so that a dedicated double (two-pole, two phase) breaker can be installed for a charger circuit.

Survey your breaker panel or load center location and it's distance to where your charging wall connector would be ideally placed, keeping in mind that the Cybertruck charge port is at the drivers side rear, like all Teslas.

Then consult with an electrician on wiring options and breaker installation for the charging circuit. The larger your circuit breaker can be the better, but I would want at least 60 amps for charging a Cybertruck, and even that might be slow for some owners. The Tesla wall connectors and others will work on lower amperage (less than 60 amps) circuits too, but charging will be much slower and keep in mind the Cybertruck is going to have a large battery.

Your licensed electrician will have to determine how large a charging circuit your home's electrical service and panel can handle. In some cases a home's main electrical service cable and panel will need upgrading to a 200 amp main breaker, especially in older homes with an smaller electrical service of only 125 amps or lower.

And what 'he' (@Greshnab) said above. :)

So I would look at the above to make sure your home is ready, and I would also consult the Tesla web pages on charging, while also checking for wall connectors they are offering as they do sometimes change:

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging

https://www.tesla.com/home-charging

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, CT Res x2
Country flag
220volt or two-phase current
Slight nitpick, the verbiage you are looking for is "single phase", possibly "split-phase". Two pole breakers (or two single poles ganged) to give you L1 and L2. If a naive electrician took you at your word about needing two phase you could expect the install bill to skyrocket :)

Back to the OP's issue, I highly recommend the OpenEVSE for quite a few reasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vics44

Vics44

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
To clarify my need for this information. All the above is great info to know! I have owned 4 RV’s, 2 were diesel coaches that required 50 amp hook ups. I am now out of the RV ownership. During my last RV garage remodel, I installed 2 50/30/20 amp electric boxes that bring in the 220 wires and I have ample breaker amps in my breaker box. One electric box installed on each end of the 50’ garage. My grandson, when visiting, with his Tesla model 3 would plug into the front box with a Tesla reducer plug in, to charge his vehicle. Usually took awhile for a full charge.

I plan on parking the CT in my RV garage (when I get it🤷🏼‍♂️) and utilizing one of these boxes. I want to have it converted with a charging system produced by Tesla that will be recommended for the CT?! Not sure I need it to charge real fast but need it to be efficient to handle the CT and any friend that might be visiting and need a charge on their EV!
Just didn’t know what was out there to order and have installed by my electrician, before the truck arrives (hopefully by end of 2024?!)

From what I’ve read so far, there may be a system available for the CyberTruck!? In the near future? Where would I look for charging systems by Tesla to purchase?

Thanks again!

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
tesla.com and the tesla app list the current wall charger..

mine is hooked up to a 60 amp breaker and can recharge my model y in about 6 hours from 20-80 percent... these chargers have the internal configuration to handle multiple chargers on one breaker... so you can hook 2 of them into the same circuit and they will load share.

that being said i have heard that tesla is working on a new wall charger for the CT.. but that is JUST rumor so far.. i have seen NOTHING From tesla.

When i got my model Y i waited till i configured the order to order/install the wall charger... took me 10 days to get it and about a week after i got the wall charger to have it installed.. and the install price was about $1500 mainly cause i had em locate the charger like 20 feet from the panel

it really depends on what the breaker box can handle and your individual needs... how often are you going to need to charge from 20-80% while at home... in my case VERY rarely.. generally if i take it down to 20% i am NOT going to be at home!

OP
OP
Vics44

Vics44

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thanks! On your experience, I think I will wait for awhile before choosing a charging unit to have installed, at least, until I get my email from Tesla about which CT I will end up with and get their take on the charging system I will need. 🙂

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
40 Amps at 220V for 10 hours is 88KwH (195 miles if you use 450W/mi). Not bad for a day's commute.
How about 60 Amps at 220V for 10 hours which is 132.2 KwH (293 miles if you use 450W/mi).

I'd bet the CT uses more like 375W/mi which would give you 234.6 miles in the first example or 352.5 miles in the second example.

Keep in mind that if you don't go below 20 or above 90% State of charge, you only need 131.25 KwH for any given MAXIMUM charging day.

TLDR: 60 Amps will take a CT from 20% to 90% in 10 hours.

*Assuming 500 miles range capability and efficiency of using 375W/mi.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
There are plenty of interesting smart outlets for EVs (thats what you think of as a charger)

were I you I wouldn’t buy anything but the mobile charger when the truck arrives and use your existing outlets. Once we know more about what the truck is capable of, ill make a detailed post about quality options, recommendations and potential costs should anyone on the forum want my help. Based on DMs to date id guess quite a few.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

No. The truck will be compatible with prior Tesla Level 2 EVSE, no matter what.

We don't know the AC charger that will be in the truck, so everything is speculation.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Get the Tesla Wall Connector, easy choice. It’s the best price and the best product.

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
Ultimately, the amperage will be limited by the wire size running between the charger and the panel. I would imagine if you had 50 amp plugs put in for your rv, they are 6 gauge. If you want more amps, you will need bigger wire. How easy/expensive that is totally depends on how far away the panel is.

kpanda17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag
Guys we have an earlier post on this where we acknowledge, like the other large truck batt and charging requirements of Hummer EV, Lightening, REV, 80 amps will be necessary. Tesla Gen 1 Wall Connector provided 80 amps but has been discontinued. I think this will be back as a gen 4.
If you want to be ready, run 100 or 125 amp circuit from the main to where the WC will be setup, leave 6 foot slack loop, or to an sub panel. Regardless, this will be a hardwire connection.
Think we are in a holding pattern until Tesla provides the CT charging spec.
Worst case CT 200kw pack will require 20 hours at 48 amps to charge, vs approx 10 hours for 80.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Guys we have an earlier post on this where we acknowledge, like the other large truck batt and charging requirements of Hummer EV, Lightening, REV, 80 amps will be necessary. Tesla Gen 1 Wall Connector provided 80 amps but has been discontinued. I think this will be back as a gen 4.
If you want to be ready, run 100 or 125 amp circuit from the main to where the WC will be setup, leave 6 foot slack loop, or to an sub panel. Regardless, this will be a hardwire connection.
Think we are in a holding pattern until Tesla provides the CT charging spec.
Worst case CT 200kw pack will require 20 hours at 48 amps to charge, vs approx 10 hours for 80.
A Lightning is a more inefficient truck, tho.

-Crissa

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Obviously, what you NEED to charge your CT will vary based on your needs. But, the CT itself does not require any specific Amperage. Personally, I can't see why anyone would need more than 80 AMP service to charge at 60 Amps because 60 Amps at 220V for 10 hours is 132.2 KwH (yes, minus whatever inefficiency in the car charger in the car)

(amps = watts / volts OR Watts = Amps x Volts)

It's probable that the CT will not have a battery bigger than 188.86 KwH and since most people will keep their batteries between 10% and 90%, there is only a need to be able to charge 70% of the battery. IF you charge at 60 amps for 10 hours, you'll get 132.2 KwH which is 70% of 188.86 KwH.

Thus, unless you are planning on being home less than 10 hours, a charge capability larger than 60 amps doesn't make sense.

125 Amp circuit for one CT? 27.5 Kw per hour... 275 KwH per 10 hour night. Why?

Maybe if you are charging multiple vehicles AND you have one hell of a commute OR a business that uses multiple vehicles, it would make sense. But, for most people, it does not.
Sponsored