Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That's not a personal attack.

-Crissa
Who is the "YOU" or "JBee" meant to be then? :unsure:

Feel free to use they, us, them, our, we etc. to make it not personal.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You…. YOU personally care about battery.

The truck makes sense to YOU. (It also makes sense to me, but for different reasons)

The question was “Why would people (It wasn’t why would JBee) buy a Model Y…”. There are several tens of millions of potential Model Y buyers who are not YOU who don’t give a rats ass about battery size, they care about going from point A to point B quickly, being able to find parking, and charging up quicker.

It’s those 10s of millions of people who are not JBee I was talking about.
That went to a personal attack pretty quickly. Not having a good day?
That's not a personal attack.

-Crissa

Um.... I think @Crissa was making the point that @Ogre was not attacking you. @Ogre was certainly making a personal reference to you @JBee. But not to attack you. @Ogre was just distinguishing between what was seemingly your expressed personal viewpoint and the hypothetically aggregate generalized viewpoint of
several tens of millions of potential Model Y buyers who are not YOU
Sure I see a personal reference. But I don't see an attack.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
@ogre was just distinguishing between what was seemingly your expressed personal viewpoint and the hypothetically aggregate generalized viewpoint of several tens of millions of potential Model Y buyers who are not YOU
And all based on "hypothetically aggregate generalized viewpoint of several tens of millions of potential Model Y buyers". Spot on!

Which is exactly the reason why it's so ridiculous to exclude me, if it's a completely fabricated argument in the first place.

So ask yourself what was the real intention of the arguments made? To say nothing, or say something to me specifically? Did it dispute the facts or the person?

Anyways, either way I'm not worried in the slightest. I explained myself and my original comment that "provoked" the response well enough. I didn't do it to provoke anyone, only to confirm the OPs POV. I just thought the response could of been a bit more nuanced. Happy to continue on subject.

PS Just for future reference though from wiki:
Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), short for argumentum ad hominem, refers to several types of arguments, some but not all of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Just because its not directly advertised doesn't mean you won't get it. Many people look for better value and understand battery sizes etc. I know that I am buying at least one CT for the batteries for stationary use, not the range.

The point is that more battery costs more to make, yet it's still cheaper than a MY.

The charge rate depends on the pack type and cooling etc. 4680s will be faster than 2170s. So the comparison would have to be between a 4680 CT and a 4680 MY, which in turn will likely also be cheaper.
I call this phenomenon the “Apple affect”. I have a whole article on battery and how effectively Apple uses it here:

https://shorttakes.substack.com/p/b..._campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

@JBee pointing at the Elephant isn’t mocking people, others or anyone but Tesla pointing out that CT is cheapest joule-for-joule of any Tesla.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

I was just trying to make the point that the people interested in the Model Y don’t have the same priorities that you do.

I should have been less pointed, apologies.

Last edited:

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
If Tesla maintains their system of offering the higher priced version first, then the only truck that Model Y buyers would be comparing prices against during the first year (or three) would be the $69,900 Tri-Motor.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I was just trying to make the point that there the people interested in the Model Y don’t have the same priorities that you do.

I should have been less pointed, apologies.
No worries all good.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The price increase on the Model Y this week got me to thinking…. How can the CT pricing that we all reserved not increase? The CT has many more options and is supposed to be priced nearly the same or even less in single or dual trims than the model Y costs today. If you were to take the current cost of a model 3 or Y and then add for the options of more battery, 4 wheel steering, shatter resistant windshield, pricier tires, air suspension, air compressor, AC power access, motorized bed cover, towing amenities, etc. how could the price possibly stay near what it is advertised? One example I can speak to is the motorized aluminum slat type bed cover. I have one on my F350 from a 3rd party of course, not Ford, and it costs me $3,700. I know the manufacturing process of both the truck and the battery will be more streamlined but can it save that much money? How can a dual motor CT have a window sticker thousands less than the cheapest model Y?
I'm holding my breath waiting to see if my "base" CT comes in at $39K

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
The price increase on the Model Y this week got me to thinking…. How can the CT pricing that we all reserved not increase? The CT has many more options and is supposed to be priced nearly the same or even less in single or dual trims than the model Y costs today. If you were to take the current cost of a model 3 or Y and then add for the options of more battery, 4 wheel steering, shatter resistant windshield, pricier tires, air suspension, air compressor, AC power access, motorized bed cover, towing amenities, etc. how could the price possibly stay near what it is advertised? One example I can speak to is the motorized aluminum slat type bed cover. I have one on my F350 from a 3rd party of course, not Ford, and it costs me $3,700. I know the manufacturing process of both the truck and the battery will be more streamlined but can it save that much money? How can a dual motor CT have a window sticker thousands less than the cheapest model Y?
I'm sure it will increase, just like FSD did and certainly will again, but just not for us. I should have bought WalMart and Tesla stock long ago too, but I didn't. Elon is a man of his word; he just hasn't been very good with is date projections heretofore, but even that can improve with time.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I'm holding my breath waiting to see if my "base" CT comes in at $39K
Every manufacturer has base models. I wonder how many buyers actually desire and purchase such models? I once owned a base Toyota Tercel and it was only something that I drove for extensive work commuting. Not very comfortable at that, but economical. Base models are just that: bottom of the rung. Perhaps the CT base will be a notch up . I don't want one though.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Every manufacturer has base models. I wonder how many buyers actually desire and purchase such models? I once owned a base Toyota Tercel and it was only something that I drove for extensive work commuting. Not very comfortable at that, but economical. Base models are just that: bottom of the rung. Perhaps the CT base will be a notch up . I don't want one though.
Most likely the top end Cybertruck will be largely indistinguishable from the “base”, both inside and out. Range will be bigger, it will be faster, and tow more… but the seats will be the same, the console the same, the ride will be very similar.

Tesla has in the past offered upgraded interiors, but mostly they like to leverage scale to stamp out millions of cars with only the smallest variances.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Most likely the top end Cybertruck will be largely indistinguishable from the “base”, both inside and out. Range will be bigger, it will be faster, and tow more… but the seats will be the same, the console the same, the ride will be very similar.

Tesla has in the past offered upgraded interiors, but mostly they like to leverage scale to stamp out millions of cars with only the smallest variances.
That is the hope of course.

Mythrainder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Compliance
Country flag
The price increase on the Modmm n
el Y this week got me to thinking…. How can the CT pricing that we all reserved not increase? The CT has many more options and is supposed to be priced nearly the same or even less in single or dual trims than the model Y costs today. If you were to take the current cost of a model 3 or Y and then add for the options of more battery, 4 wheel steering, shatter resistant windshield, pricier tires, air suspension, air compressor, AC power access, motorized bed cover, towing amenities, etc. how could the price possibly stay near what it is advertised? One example I can speak to is the motorized aluminum slat type bed cover. I have one on my F350 from a 3rd party of course, not Ford, and it costs me $3,700. I know the manufacturing process of both the truck and the battery will be more streamlined but can it save that much money? How can a dual motor CT have a window sticker thousands less than the cheapest model Y?
Dude,
Its a cell phone wirh wheels, built like a toy truck utilizing the giga press so it is like a really tough electric razor/cell phone/. Its a stanless box with a battery pack as a frame, with seats, climet control and a computer. This is 2021 and 50k is high dollar. You can buy farms for that price! CT did kick the big 3 in the pants and get them thinking but Neil Youngs' "Linkvolt" really started it all.

OP
OP
jhogan2424

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Dude,
Its a cell phone wirh wheels, built like a toy truck utilizing the giga press so it is like a really tough electric razor/cell phone/. Its a stanless box with a battery pack as a frame, with seats, climet control and a computer. This is 2021 and 50k is high dollar. You can buy farms for that price! CT did kick the big 3 in the pants and get them thinking but Neil Youngs' "Linkvolt" really started it all.
I like your Cel phone analogy there, thats pretty good. Although I’d have to say 50k doesn't seem high dollar in 2021 and is actually on the low end of what most new trucks will cost. I was just looking at new Fords last week that were slightly more than double that. Put me down for 10 of those $50,000 farms too lol. Unless you mistyped and left off a zero.
Sponsored