How much time do you think will be saved during production not needing to paint the Cybertrucks?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
We know Giga Texas has at least 3 production lines... MY, MY, CT. I'll add in Semi for a 4th line. It would make sense to double the CT line as well. So, 5 production lines at Giga Texas.

1 vehicle per 54 seconds would make 533 per shift. Running 2 shifts across 4 lines would make 533,333 per year for the MY and CT lines... The Semi will probably be a much lower production rate... I have no idea how many or how fast those will be made. It's POSSIBLE to make them at the same speed on the line but I doubt they will. Still, producing 600,000 a year is within reason.

The Tesla Giga Shanghai factory produced over 200K units in 3rd quarter 2022 for an annualized run rate of 800K per year.

Tesla Giga Shanghai is still ramping up from recent upgrades to the factory and is predicted to produce over 260K units in 4th quarter for annualized run rate of over 1 million per year.

Tesla Giga Austin factory is larger and also will be using even more efficient processes than Giga Shanghai such that Giga Austin is predicted to ramp to at minimum 1.5 million a year.

-----------------------------------

Tesla aiming to raise Giga Shanghai production by over 30% in Q4: report
By Simon Alvarez
Posted on September 27, 2022
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-improves-giga-shanghai-production-30-percent-q4-2022-report/
Sponsored

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag

The man said...

"Tesla is not a Honey Trap we're demanding and it's, like, you're gonna get a lot of shit done."
~ Elon Musk AI Day II

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Just pointing out that Musk says that at Tesla you work your ass off. Assembly lines that fast support his statement.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
The speed up of the production line might actual be more of a cost savings than the paint itself.

The cost of the paint and cost of painting is only a small part of cost saving of eliminating painting / paint-shop.
The biggest issue is that painting is a huge speed (time) bottleneck of the production line.

----------------

Tesla Cybertruck Can Reach 50% Margins - CLIP
Sep 9, 2022
Farzad Mesbahi

guest speaker Matt Smith - Good Soil Investment Management
Matt (@8:53): I think it's important to note like I'm just going back to the 50% margin thing though like how can they even do that like that the elimination of a paint job is a really really big deal in the cost of goods sold ( COGS ). So my brother actually works for the company that does like paint filtration to automotive suppliers and so he's like familiar with that and it one it's like almost always the limiting factor to your production rate in your factory.

So like a couple years ago on one of the earnings calls Elon was talking about how annoyed he was that like the production rate was so slow. He's like if you think about like how fast these cars are coming off the line it's like granny and her walker could actually go faster than we're getting out new cars. He's like we should really be pumping them out (so fast) where we need to take into account the wind resistance of the parts going through the assembly line that should be the limiting factor.

Which is like that sounds aggressive right but I think he's got a point so like if you're eliminating like not only a huge like cost of the painting and the huge limiting factor in your production rate but just like a massive footprint for the paint facilities so that's like a huge elimination of costs that I think it's hard to like because there's gonna be more raw materials like the weight of the Cybertruck can be a lot heavier so the cost is gonna have to be made up on non-material components.

I think it's like, much faster to like, just like, not paint them ...

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Surely he's talking about factory speed and not line speed though?

Seems to be a horrendous rate for a single line, even if fully automated. Things would just be flying together...maybe he can use the rotating magnetic fields of the motors to assemble the CT while it drives itself down the assembly line?

Need self assembling manufacturing for those types of speeds. As a teenager I once had the idea that in the future we would buy goods and appliances in cereal packet form. So you pour the contents of the packet on a clean piece of floor and activate it with a bit of water, and then hey presto it would grow into a 8K OLED screen. It would be great for manufacturing though if you could preassemble a product inside of a few sheets of materials origami style. Like programable matter etc. CT has the right shape for it at least. :cool:

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Surely Elon was not being literal
Surely he was. He has this tendency to be hyperbolic and serious at the same time.

If the robots could toss the parts around faster... Robot football as assembly mechanics.

-Crissa

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
If you assume that you would be wrong.

Oh, now I see how you might have come to make wrong assumptions.

You worked in an legacy type assembly plant that uses a moving path based on fixed rails on surface or trenches/tunnels buried in the floor.

Many modern assembly lines use battery powered smart carts that do not require fixed rails or buried paths.

With the smart carts you can easily and dynamically change between having parallel streams or a single stream sections of the line depending on space availability, bottlenecks, worker needs, time needed per process.
This can accommodate many factors while still maintaining a high speed at the end of the line ( factory output ). With smart carts you could even utilize 3D space by using multiple floors for the same process instead of just horizontal space.

Sandy Munro has several times talked about the benefits of using smart carts in assembly lines as opposed to traditional legacy fixed style systems.

Joe Justice has also talked about this in specific about Tesla's manufacturing lines.

One of the reason getting rid of body painting and paint-shop is that because of the processes involved it is difficult to use smart carts during many parts ( dipping, need spray recovery environmental booths, etc). It is difficult to do parallel streams in many parts of painting line process without spending huge amount of money to duplicate the whole thing. It would be difficult to dynamically vary the number of streams or their locations.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
0-man hours to paint a EvTruck EvCar
Whomever stated this has never worked with metal, dust, tack rag and paint not to mention humidity, temperature and pressure.

Its an exaggerated oversimplification to reduce a $500,000,000 paint booth to 5 sentences that amount to zero-sum total.
Sponsored