Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 S. CT ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone seen anything from Tesla telling us how much it will weigh? I need to know if I have to buy heavier trailer? I carry my S on a trailer behind my RV when I go on long trips, months across country.
I see width, length, height, but not weight.
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
My Lightning is 6K (standard battery pack). High trim CT will have more motors but if it is Tesla's fancy motor, it may be lighter. It has an air compressor. It has steel instead of aluminum but if the battery pack and the skin is adding structural support, weight may be coming off other parts. Giga casting may reduce weight ( eliminating welding, nuts and bolts). The tech is different from Model x. Remember original payload capacity for CT was 3,500 pounds so there may be some magic sauce to make CT lighter. If the weight is 8K, those tires would be taking a lot of abuse carrying 11,500 pounds. There may be a work truck version eliminating fancy features in favor of payload and cost. If so, I would say that version may be around 6.5K-7K.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
My Lightning is 6K (standard battery pack). High trim CT will have more motors but if it is Tesla's fancy motor, it may be lighter. It has an air compressor. It has steel instead of aluminum but if the battery pack and the skin is adding structural support, weight may be coming off other parts. Giga casting may reduce weight ( eliminating welding, nuts and bolts). The tech is different from Model x. Remember original payload capacity for CT was 3,500 pounds so there may be some magic sauce to make CT lighter. If the weight is 8K, those tires would be taking a lot of abuse carrying 11,500 pounds. There may be a work truck version eliminating fancy features in favor of payload and cost. If so, I would say that version may be around 6.5K-7K.
Rivians at 9k lbs seem fine, i do wonder how long tires will last at those weights tho.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
When it was presented in 2019, they say that it will weight the same as a regular non ev f-150.
Did they really discuss weight in 2019?
anyhow what was discussed was four years ago, with several misses along the way including delivery times and pricing. Let’s hope the specs deliver.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
We talking curb weight or GVWR?

Seems folks are mixing and matching

Rivian is ~7.100 curb, Lightning (SR)~6,100 curb (ER) ~6,600 curb

Rivian ~8,550 GVWR, Lightning (SR) ~8,250 GVWR (ER) ~8,550 GVWR

No clue with CT, but remember that backnin 2019 a letter to the California Air and Resources Board Tesla stated:

"While we have not yet begun production of the Cybertruck, we expect it to have a towing capacity of 7,500-14,000+ lbs., and it should very likely qualify as a 'Class 2B-3 medium-duty vehicle.'"

This statement tells us the Cybertruck's expected gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) will be between 8,501-10,000 lbs as that is the weight range of Class 2B medium duty pickups.

But the battery weight of BEV trucks push them into GVWRs formerly known only to 250/2500 series medium-duty trucks, despite having 150/2500 class payloads.

The CT specs purported to have both GVWR AND payloads that would class it as a 2B medium duty truck all-around

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This statement tells us the Cybertruck's expected gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) will be between 8,501-10,000 lbs
So even at the higher limit of 10,000 lbs GVWR, if Tesla sticks with original payload of 3,500 Ibs, we are talking max weight of 6,500 lbs for CT.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
So even at the higher limit of 10,000 lbs GVWR, if Tesla sticks with original payload of 3,500 Ibs, we are talking max weight of 6,500 lbs for CT.
Seems to be in the ballpark. A ram TRX is 6400 pounds.
I was thinking maybe 500 or some more pounds due to the batteries, but hopefully the exoskeleton design offsets that

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Safe to say Tesla was referring to the single motor 250mi range version matching the curb weight of an ICE F-150.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
if it’s 8,500, assuming that 3,500 payload holds, the CT is very liiiite

(Or the payload isn’t 3,500 )

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Safe to say Tesla was referring to the single motor 250mi range version matching the curb weight of an ICE F-150.
Good point. We keep falling into the trap of not specifying which version we are comparing.
Sponsored