How will delivery of the Cybertruck work?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I have a completely different question, I have read somewhere about Tesla sending you your Vin # for your Tesla truck, is that true? Second question The only thing I did was send my 100.00 no one said which truck do you want so how will they know which one I want?
VIN numbers are sent when you have an order (not a preorder) and the vehicle has been built and assigned to you.

Also when you put in the 100, you selected the truck you want, it's on your tesla account.

However whatever you selected doesn't actually matter, when your place in line is up, they will contact you to create an order and you can select whatever you want.

The only thing that matters from the preorder is when you selected FSD, if you selected FSD. If you did, you get FSD for the price at the time you selected it. $7000 for people who got it right away, $8000 for people who got it after the price increase mid last year, and $10000 for people who got it after the price increase late last year. And it'll probably increase more before any deliveries start.
Sponsored

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
VIN numbers are sent when you have an order (not a preorder) and the vehicle has been built and assigned to you.

Also when you put in the 100, you selected the truck you want, it's on your tesla account.

However whatever you selected doesn't actually matter, when your place in line is up, they will contact you to create an order and you can select whatever you want.

The only thing that matters from the preorder is when you selected FSD, if you selected FSD. If you did, you get FSD for the price at the time you selected it. $7000 for people who got it right away, $8000 for people who got it after the price increase mid last year, and $10000 for people who got it after the price increase late last year. And it'll probably increase more before any deliveries start.
Yes. But will we get FSD or will we get fsd at full price whatever it was with a "to be continued" instruction 'book'.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Our Model Y delivery was painless. Ordered online in February, took delivery in March at a local multi story parking garage that was leased by Tesla. Setup a Tesla account online and kept checking in every few days for a VIN number.

Once you have a VIN assigned you are very close to delivery. We then received a text from Tesla stating car is ready for pickup. Complete the down payment online or pay for the entire vehicle online or via check. Agree to the date and time if it works for you, drive down, go over entire vehicle with a fine tooth comb and note any defects or adjustments that need to be made. NOTE: DO NOT RUSH THIS STEP BY LETTING DELIVERY EXCITEMENT TAKE OVER!!! I recommend taking photos with your cell and using a time stamped photo app. You can then prove to Tesla that all of the items were documented during your delivery, not afterwards. Sign loan documents if you are financing and drive away after leaving copies with the Tesla reps on hand.

Please be aware that you may REJECT delivery if any major defects are found during the inspection. Tesla will then order you a factory fresh replacement vehicle (We rejected the 1st 2 VINā€™s). Your Tesla rep handles this and you are not placed in line with other reservation holders. Once you hit the ā€œaccept deliveryā€ link on your smart phone the car is yours. Buyers have to schedule adjustments such as panel gap adjustments, misaligned trim pieces, off center steering wheel, etc. within 100 miles of accepting delivery. Scheduling service is all done via your Tesla app.

One of the cool perks about owing a Tesla is painless Supercharging. Your credit card information is gathered from your Tesla Account. Simply pull up to a Tesla charger and plug in. No credit cards or entering any information. Supercharging is super easy.

The convenience via your Tesla app on your phone is pretty cool. It shows the remaining charge, where the vehicle is parked, you can cool down/heat up the cabin before entering, roll windows up or down, open frunk, purchase upgrades like FSD, get roadside assistance, etc.

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Yes. But will we get FSD or will we get fsd at full price whatever it was with a "to be continued" instruction 'book'.
FSD is an investment. Sure, FSD 6-7 years ago was basically nothing. It was pretty cool to see it trying to switch lanes for you on the highway but it wasn't safe to be unsupervised. Fast-forward to the FSD beta version today and it can pretty much do all highway driving and it's better driving on city streets with turns than it was driving on the highway 6-7 years ago.

I've been having conversations with some people about where Tesla is right now. Some people would think Tesla is right on the line to level 3. It does all highway driving almost flawlessly and definitely better than an average driver. The city driving is pretty good outside of downtown areas but even with all the disengaging, it always warns you to take over which is a requirement of level 3.
With all the delays for the new software update and the sizable improvement that they have hinted at, I think the beta could make a full release and level 3 might come to the closed beta group. I think releasing it to beta as sort of a pseudo level 3 where they still supervise the drive just to make sure the car can do all the driving and warn the driver with enough time so they could take over even if they weren't paying attention.

Since I plan to have my Cybertruck forever, the FSD is an investment that I really really want to make. If someone plans to replace the cybertruck with a newer model in the next 5-10 years. I could see them getting the subscription plan or just not getting it at all.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not sure if this applies in Texas or not, but when I bought my Model Y I asked if I could pick it up in California To save some time And visit family. The rep told me Iā€™d have to pay sales tax in California even though Iā€™m in Oregon and we have none. Soā€¦ I waited a few days and picked it up in Portland instead.

Not sure if theyā€™ve found a way around that, but Texas has a 6% sales tax. Also, Texas has some weird dealership laws and you canā€™t even buy a Tesla in Texas normally.

So Iā€™m not if you will be able to pick it up in Texas.

Personally, if it would get me my truck a week or two earlier Iā€™d do it.

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
But if I understood Crissa correctly and the price of delivery is figured into the price of the car, would you go to all the extra trouble and expense of flying from Seattle to Austin and driving back if you could have it delivered to your door for the same vehicle price just to see the Tesla "Disneyland"? I wouldn't. If I saved a substantial sum on "Tesla Delivery Service" I would. I do well, but I don't have money to waste. If I was passing through Austin, by all means I'd stop in and see "Elon's Wonder World" and take the wife and kiddos, but my decision to pick up my CT there wouldn't hinge on that. Not even if there was a waterpark or a Universal Studios "Back to the Future" style ride...... well, that one might get me there. It was fantastic!
Our original plan was to have the truck delivered to us here in upstate NY, then make a long round trip to see all our family members out west and south east, then head back home.

Flying out to pick it up will cut down on the time needed overall and will allow us to visit longer with everyone that we stop to see. So, it should be perfect really.

After pickup, road trip to see family along the west coast, take some neat cyber redwood tree photos, then south to Texas again, cut across and skirt the coast all the way to orange beach Alabama.

After a few days with family there, will visit more family in Georgia, Kentucky and Pennsylvania before heading back home.

It won't be inexpensive, but we plan to turn it into a fun 2-3 week pre-retirement adventure.

Practice for 2026! :)

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
At this point it doesnā€˜t look good for Giga TX deliveries thanks to the Texas Automobile Dealers Association (TADA). I am confident the rules will change for 2023/24 + Cybertruck buyers.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not sure if this applies in Texas or not, but when I bought my Model Y I asked if I could pick it up in California To save some time And visit family. The rep told me Iā€™d have to pay sales tax in California even though Iā€™m in Oregon and we have none. Soā€¦ I waited a few days and picked it up in Portland instead.

Not sure if theyā€™ve found a way around that, but Texas has a 6% sales tax. Also, Texas has some weird dealership laws and you canā€™t even buy a Tesla in Texas normally.

So Iā€™m not if you will be able to pick it up in Texas.

Personally, if it would get me my truck a week or two earlier Iā€™d do it.
Well, Texas has kinda abdicated their position here, so it's pretty confusing.

California is pretty strict. We have a large number of out of state registered vehicles which, well, never leave the state. So we've dealt with it.

-Crissa

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Our original plan was to have the truck delivered to us here in upstate NY, then make a long round trip to see all our family members out west and south east, then head back home.

Flying out to pick it up will cut down on the time needed overall and will allow us to visit longer with everyone that we stop to see. So, it should be perfect really.

After pickup, road trip to see family along the west coast, take some neat cyber redwood tree photos, then south to Texas again, cut across and skirt the coast all the way to orange beach Alabama.

After a few days with family there, will visit more family in Georgia, Kentucky and Pennsylvania before heading back home.

It won't be inexpensive, but we plan to turn it into a fun 2-3 week pre-retirement adventure.

Practice for 2026! :)
That'll work too!

ijoe13

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
But if I understood Crissa correctly and the price of delivery is figured into the price of the car, would you go to all the extra trouble and expense of flying from Seattle to Austin and driving back if you could have it delivered to your door for the same vehicle price just to see the Tesla "Disneyland"? I wouldn't. If I saved a substantial sum on "Tesla Delivery Service" I would. I do well, but I don't have money to waste. If I was passing through Austin, by all means I'd stop in and see "Elon's Wonder World" and take the wife and kiddos, but my decision to pick up my CT there wouldn't hinge on that. Not even if there was a waterpark or a Universal Studios "Back to the Future" style ride...... well, that one might get me there. It was fantastic!
A one way ticket from Seattle to Austin isnā€™t a big deal. Iā€™d want to drive the CT back from there, but take a week or so to do it by stopping at a couple of National Parks to explore and make a real road trip out of it.

Jimbo Ringo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
I have never owned a Tesla so just wondering how does the delivery work or do we need to fly out to Texas? (which I actually wouldn't mind lol)
It will be delivered to your nearest Tesla Service Center. I believe if you take delivery in Texas you pay Texas sales tax. Then your states sales tax when you license the CT In your state.

tenetke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Country flag
It will be delivered to your nearest Tesla Service Center. I believe if you take delivery in Texas you pay Texas sales tax. Then your states sales tax when you license the CT In your state.
If you title the vehicle in TX youā€™ll pay sales tax for Texas. If you live in another state, you wonā€™t pay Texas sales if you title the vehicle in the state you live in.

beewang

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Foundation (awaiting delivery)
Country flag
Well, Texas has kinda abdicated their position here, so it's pretty confusing.

California is pretty strict. We have a large number of out of state registered vehicles which, well, never leave the state. So we've dealt with it.

-Crissa
With respect to the state of California. The state CDTFA (formerly Board of Equalization) takes the position to collect CA Sales/Use Tax on ALL purchases/sales, with physical delivery taken in the CA State, without exception.

However, CA BTLG Ā§6248 . Presumption of purchase for use; vehicles, vessels, and aircraft - Provides the rebuttable presumption, In short, you can apply for a refund of the Sales/UseTax paid with CDTFA if you kept the vehicle, vessel, and aircraft out of CA 50%+ of the first 12 months (interpretation 6 months +1 day).

Before you do this, I would have you or your tax professional reach out to CDTFA and obtain a ruling letter to make the refund request process smoothly.

Cheers,

beewang

beewang

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Foundation (awaiting delivery)
Country flag
If you title the vehicle in TX youā€™ll pay sales tax for Texas. If you live in another state, you wonā€™t pay Texas sales if you title the vehicle in the state you live in.
10-4 on that! And that's why it makes sense for me to fly out to Techsux to pickup the CT.

ROAD TRIP!! šŸ™ƒ
Sponsored