Hunting in the Cybertruck

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
One of the things I’m really looking forward to in my CT is hunting Elk on southern Montana public lands. My dad’s truck (Nissan Frontier) was modified to disable all lights (interior, headlights, brake lights, blinkers, ect, with the flip of a couple of switches. Has anyone given any thought as to what a “Hunting Mode” might do? It would be great if all lights could be disabled from the control screen, and the screen itself dimmed, once you were off road.
Any hunters have any other suggestions?

I don't hunt but have friends that do, isn't it illegal in most states to hunt most animals at night, and isn't it also illegal to hunt from a vehicle?

As far as starlink in the woods it wouldn't work very well, the trees will block the signal. I am hoping for the ability to cache maps like some of the software I use on my cell phone.

As far as bullet proof, against small caliber handgun rounds maybe, against rifle rounds that have much more energy no. The history of the term bullet proof was always subjective and originated with body armor when single shot firearms were becoming more common on the battlefield. Firearms were getting rapidly more powerful and the thickness needed to protect the wearer became too heavy to be practical. That is until modern composites and ceramics but even them they come with a classification as far as protection.

Tesla Cybertruck Hunting in the Cybertruck 1640433994997
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Cybertruck has 3500 pounds capacity. If you care enough about being armor proof, that's a lot of room to armor up. I was thinking opening up the door panels and putting Kevlar inserts would go a lot ways, but perhaps Kevlar outside would be better. There is a certain amount of cumulative effect.

You still have to deal with the windows though.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
If one doesn’t need to open the windows, a theoretical window hardening could be to glue on a extra thick layer of polycarbonate sheet to the inside or outside. The curved windshield would be a bit more difficult but the other windows seem to be flat so it might be easy to affix to.

Or just replace the glass with extra thick polycarbonate. But that would lose som of the glass benefits.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
isn't it also illegal to hunt from a vehicle?
Generally, in most states, yes; *BUT* several states have disabled hunter tags that allow hunting from a motor vehicle under specific conditions.

isn't it illegal in most states to hunt most animals at night
Game animals, yes; *BUT* legalized nighttime hunting is allowed for fur-bearing, predators, varmints, exotics, invasives, and other non-game animals on a state by state basis.

OP
OP

m_jorge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-ordered Cybertruck 3-motor
Occupation
Research
Country flag
I don't hunt but have friends that do, isn't it illegal in most states to hunt most animals at night, and isn't it also illegal to hunt from a vehicle?

As far as starlink in the woods it wouldn't work very well, the trees will block the signal. I am hoping for the ability to cache maps like some of the software I use on my cell phone.

As far as bullet proof, against small caliber handgun rounds maybe, against rifle rounds that have much more energy no. The history of the term bullet proof was always subjective and originated with body armor when single shot firearms were becoming more common on the battlefield. Firearms were getting rapidly more powerful and the thickness needed to protect the wearer became too heavy to be practical. That is until modern composites and ceramics but even them they come with a classification as far as protection.

1640433994997.png
"isn't it illegal in most states to hunt most animals at nigh"
Absolutely yes. But it isn't illegal to drive up to where you are planning to hunt an hour prior to sunrise so you can begin your hike..

"and isn't it also illegal to hunt from a vehicle?"
Yes, unless the hunter is handicapped and hunts with a handicapped license.. The last couple of years my dad was alive he hunted with a handicapped license due to an amputated foot. As long as the handicapped hunter has a licensed hunter driving for him he can hunt from a vehicle , even shot from a vehicle, as long as he does not shoot across a road.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Also, the sort of bullet-proof you need in the case of stray rounds is down-range, hence when most of the energy of the projectile is spent.

Nothing is really going to armor you from your hunting buddy Joe Risky, but you can be armored against that mile down range bullet.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The Cybertruck has 3500 pounds capacity. If you care enough about being armor proof, that's a lot of room to armor up. I was thinking opening up the door panels and putting Kevlar inserts would go a lot ways, but perhaps Kevlar outside would be better. There is a certain amount of cumulative effect.

Rumor is that 30 layers of Kevlar sheets is enough to stop a bullet.

30X S.S. buys some bullet rejection. Its your call if you so choose, you can omit a few layers.

If you are creative Kevlar interiors could be a bulletproof business plan!

OP
OP

m_jorge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Research
Country flag
No offense to all the off-topic posters, or those disparaging to hunters, but I would still like to see more ideas from hunters about what they want from the CT.
Ideas so far:
  • A mode to disable lights (interior & exterior) and warning sounds (ringers, beeps, dings, etc...) while off-road.
  • Off road topographical maps (similar to Garmin GPS maps) to aid in backcountry navigation.
  • A "return to me" function., (This would have saved me from hypothermia a few times.), to have the CT move to the nearest navigable roadway to your location.
  • An integrated electric winch in the vault to help load your venison when you are on your own.
Still looking for more great hunting or sports related ideas.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Besides the need to blackout, don't you think the lack of exhaust smell will be a big boon to "invisibility" to wildlife with the CT?

No offense to all the off-topic posters, or those disparaging to hunters, but I would still like to see more ideas from hunters about what they want from the CT.
Ideas so far:
  • A mode to disable lights (interior & exterior) and warning sounds (ringers, beeps, dings, etc...) while off-road.
  • Off road topographical maps (similar to Garmin GPS maps) to aid in backcountry navigation.
  • A "return to me" function., (This would have saved me from hypothermia a few times.), to have the CT move to the nearest navigable roadway to your location.
  • An integrated electric winch in the vault to help load your venison when you are on your own.

OP
OP

m_jorge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Research
Country flag
Besides the need to blackout, don't you think the lack of exhaust smell will be a big boon to "invisibility" to wildlife with the CT?
Quite possibly. Lack of engine noise and exhaust smell are both a boon. But I don't anticipate being able to sneak up on elk in my CT. I just don't want to scare them away from whatever mountain I drive to at O'dark-thirty to start my hike in.
In the past I've gotten to a hunting area I've scouted as a morning feeding spot about an hour before dawn and sat quietly waiting for the sunrise, watching a small herd of elk feeding, only to have them get scared off by a bunch of ATVs or trucks heading up with their headlights blazing. Talk about frustrating!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ideas so far:
I want those and I'm not a hunter?

Stargazing and photography is best without bells and lights.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A cross bar secured to the side L-track with a pully in the center can help drag your venison up. Putting a winch in the vault seems more limiting compared to front or back bumpers. A couple pulleys an rollovers would allow pulling the venison or cargo up the ramp. Including reverse pulling up motorcycles for those in need to reverse load.

The configuration off rollers and pulleys dependent on where you would the most use in mounting location.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Ideas so far:
Does anyone know what the switching frequency (PWM frequency) Tesla’s inverters use? In the industrial world typical PWM frequencies are 2-4kHz. (Depending on the application some industrial inverters will be outside of this range, but most of the ones I’ve worked with are in the 2-4kHz. range). Humans can hear 2-4kHz carrier freqencies quite easily. I suspect Telsa‘s switch at a frequency higher than most humans can hear, but is it a frequency the animal your trying to sneak up on can hear?
Sponsored