Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
@anionic1, That may be a way to do it but I thought it would be best to not post info for doing something that is illegal most everywhere, not to mention dangerous.
just curious how it would be dangerous? it seems like everything would be protected and as long as you shut off the main you wouldn't electrocute the utility workers, but even installing a basic transfer switch, which I don't think is illegal or out of code carries the same risk. Obviously an automatic transfer switch removes that risk.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
F150 battery seem to be "suspended". I wonder how that compares to CT in a Baja 1000 race.
Pretty surprising how quickly Ford has picked up on EVs as opposed to GM. GM’s been at it longer but Ford seems to be way better at engineering interesting EVs.

It’s still pricier than the Cybertruck at most trims, but this is going to be a very popular truck.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Pretty surprising how quickly Ford has picked up on EVs as opposed to GM. GM’s been at it longer but Ford seems to be way better at engineering interesting EVs.

It’s still pricier than the Cybertruck at most trims, but this is going to be a very popular truck.
Ford is F150. They can't screw that up.

How these companies do with EVs should be divorced from how they have been doing with ICE. I think it all depends on what kind of new talent they can steal if there is any left.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
just curious how it would be dangerous? it seems like everything would be protected and as long as you shut off the main you wouldn't electrocute the utility workers, but even installing a basic transfer switch, which I don't think is illegal or out of code carries the same risk. Obviously an automatic transfer switch removes that risk.
Transfer switches are quite common and if you install them correctly they are fully legal.

This is regardless of automatic or manual switching. Transfer switches by definition can never send power from the secondary source back to the grid.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ford is F150. They can't screw that up.

How these companies do with EVs should be divorced from how they have been doing with ICE. I think it all depends on what kind of new talent they can steal isf there is any left.
Seems like GM put a bunch of second rate engineers on their EV team who don’t love cars and don’t really understand EVs at all. Ford took their top rate truck engineering team and told them to build an EV.

The F150 will carry a lot of baggage from ICE design constraints, but sounds like it will appeal to the people migrating from ICE trucks looking for something like their existing truck.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
You would end up with a male plug on both ends of your cord. That could potentially be dangerous if you got complacent. But yes, what you have described will work just fine. You just have to be mindful of of what position your main breaker is in. It is against code though.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why do you say that? The major failure is from a battery supplier during their build-up.
Maybe I’m a bit cynical about the Bolt. I just think the Bolt is about as underwhelming an offering as you can get in terms of EVs. When you see the Model Y, get into it, and drive it, it looks and feels like a 35,000+ car. The Bolt looks, inside and out, like a $25,000 Chevy car. And Chevy’s car get trounced by Toyota and Honda.

It charges slowly and it’s range is ok, but when combined with the slow charging its very limiting. Going on a 500 mile trip in the Bolt seems like it would be painful.

The only reason that is a $32,000 car is because it is an EV. I think the Model 3 and the Model Y compare fairly well to their comparably priced ICE counterparts. They are not quite as posh as some, but have other characteristics which make up for it. The Bolt… not as much.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe I’m a bit cynical about the Bolt. I just think the Bolt is about as underwhelming an offering as you can get in terms of EVs. When you see the Model Y, get into it, and drive it, it looks and feels like a 35,000+ car. The Bolt looks, inside and out, like a $25,000 Chevy car. And Chevy’s car get trounced by Toyota and Honda.

It charges slowly and it’s range is ok, but when combined with the slow charging its very limiting. Going on a 500 mile trip in the Bolt seems like it would be painful.

The only reason that is a $32,000 car is because it is an EV. I think the Model 3 and the Model Y compare fairly well to their comparably priced ICE counterparts. They are not quite as posh as some, but have other characteristics which make up for it. The Bolt… not as much.
You were comparing Ford and GM but now you are comparing Tesla and GM. Remember all of Tesla’s car making resources goes to EVs but only a fraction of GM’s resources have gone into that So far. All of Volt and Bolt owners that I have met have been very happy with their cars and for the most part they have been very reliable. I share your opinion about Bolt look and design but I just saw TFL guys comparing their experience with a Tesla performance model they had with a Mini EV with much lower specs and they were saying Mini is much more of a car because they never wanted to go for a joy ride with a Tesla after a long trip but they do with a Mini.

speaking of Mini, mini cars GM is making in China is selling like hot cakes. I would love to have one of them for local citi drives here.

I think in coming years we will see ton of EVs from different manufacturers each with their own strength, weakness and growing pains. There is no question the company that made them do EVs is Tesla but we should look forward and keep our fingers crossed they all do well because the only way we do well is them trying to out do each other.

The F150 will carry a lot of baggage from ICE design constraints, but sounds like it will appeal to the people migrating from ICE trucks looking for something like their existing truck.
I have adjustable racks on my current truck bed that I put my Kayaks on. I could probably easily transfer them to F150. I have no idea how it would work on CT.

on the other hand I have a feeling I have to drive F150 under 55 mph most of the time even without the rack to keep energy consumption in check. I expect CT to do much better at highway speed.

If I go through plus and minus for each (for my case), CT will come on top but I am hoping that calculus is different for other people so all manufacturers can sell their EVs.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You were comparing Ford and GM but now you are comparing Tesla and GM.
The Mach E came much later, but is more appealing than the bolt. They are nearly the same price and the Mach E is much more appealing.

likewise, the F150 is much more appealing than GMs only currently detailed E Truck.

I have adjustable racks on my current truck bed that I put my Kayaks on. I could probably easily transfer them to F150. I have no idea how it would work on CT.
I have similar concerns. Totally agree.

A lot of people pan the F150 here, but for a lot of folks the Cybertruck is too big a bridge to cross.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Mach-E starts in Model Y territory. It had better be more compelling than a car you can get for $20k less.
The Bolt is only $10k less than the Mach E.

C&D absolutely loves it and Munro said it was the only non-Tesla EV he'd recommend to friends.

I respect one of those opinions and the non-EV/ car enthusiast market respects the other.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Mach E came much later, but is more appealing than the bolt. They are nearly the same price and the Mach E is much more appealing.

likewise, the F150 is much more appealing than GMs only currently detailed E Truck.
If price was the same, I would take the mustang over bolt and Hummer over both F150 and CT (I know this is going to put me on the crap list of many members but I just like the damn thing, it does not have to make sense)

Sponsored