CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
if you can plug a CT in to charge it……there has to be some smart young electrical engineer out that and design a device to use the same plug to power your house.
Even if there isn't a way to power your home with the Cybertruck. An extension cord and a power bar would be enough to power your refrigerator and freezer. You could plug in a few lights if you don't have candles.

For most power outages, this is enough. It's only during times when power is out for days or longer that the ability to power an entire house is really useful.

I'm also hoping that a home battery that can be charged through an outlet will come on the market. I already have solar panels and powerwalls, but for someone that doesn't, it would be beneficial to have a battery backup that could be charged from your truck. If the power goes out, it would switch to your battery backup and you could plug that into your truck to keep it topped up. That way the house doesn't turn off when you have to go to work.
Sponsored

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
That's really good if customer service long before ownership is really important to you. The way I see it, there is nothing anyone from Tesla can do to help us. We have as much information as most Tesla service stations have, and it's likely that we also have as much information as Ford dealerships have on the Lightning other than what the dealership needs to do before getting the Lightning.

The thing that gives a little more information on the Lightning is they probably have less preorders so there is less room for error when estimating a delivery date.

I hope everyone is happy with their decision, whether they get a F150 Lightning or a Cybertruck. But personally, I don't really care about communication before I get mine as long as I get the product that I want the most.
I have a reservation for both.

As soon as I put the one in for Ford, I was bombarded by the dealership. Different emails from different people, quite a bit redundant. I thought is was very annoying. Just HMU when it's ready to buy! LOL!

In the end, hopefully both trucks will be great choices.

Natelarson

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge challenger
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
have you seen marquis brownlee’s review from the f150. Couple things - it has a range of Apx 467 miles with no payload. And another cool thing is that you can fold down the gear shift (I know, ct doesn’t have one) and put the center console down for a place to work on your laptop. It also has a drainhole in the drunk so you can turn the frunk into an ice chest.
The biggest downside to the f150 was even with the largest battery it would only go 300 miles. But if it goes 467 with no payload, that helps.
Even with all that in mind, I’m still holding out for a CT :)

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
In 2 days, I have had more contact with Ford than my entire reservation timeline with Tesla [Reserved at launch]. I have a representative, dealership, and production timeline. +1 for Ford customer service.

I am still a fanboy, picked the more practical option for my family. Can't wait to do a weekend truck swap with one of you!
So when do you take delivery, what options, and at what price? How will you feel if you are still waiting when our CTs are rolling off the production line, or even worse, Ford cancels the entire line and goes with a Prius-styled pickup-ette? Doubt any of us will swap out with you, but we'll probably be glad to do ya a drive-by and honk! What is all the publicity about Ford being close to bankruptcy? Wouldn't bode well.

dkositsky

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Realestaye management
Country flag
At only 400,000th in line, you shouldn't have to wait too long. Expecting some cancellations, and assuming that Tesla reaches peak production sometime in mid-late 2022, I'd say that you would only have 1-2 years after you might get a lightning. That's also assuming you get a lightning right away when they start deliveries of the lightning by mid 2022.

We have to remember that they are literally constructing the biggest factory. I believe that production will be very quick. Elon estimated 250,000-300,000 a year at peak production
Well there is no telling just how many ev trucks Ford will be able to o make. Their last quarter i believe they sold less than 7000 mache es and they will have battery constraints for awhile. And they also may not want to cannibalize their ice truck sales by also limited ev sales.
”Ready to invest” is not the same as “producing them immediately“. Reports indicate at this time at most they may setup a prototype production for 4680 by March 22. If they like what they see and if other car companies show interest in buying them, they make take the plunge with multi-billion dollar investment. This sounds far from a slam dunk and immediate to me.

I am a bit confused about the whole thing. Is the pilot line Tesla has at Magic Cube is supposed to be replicated in Berlin and Texas at large scale independent of Panasonic? Or Panasonic is suppose to do it for Tesla?
No tesla is doing this and Panasonic is going to set up their own line to supliment tesla's battery production. Tesla said it would buy all the batteries it could from its suppliers
. They are anticipating a severe shortage of batteries from late 2024 through 2025 and maybe early 2026. So all other companies will be battery constrained worse than Tesla will be.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
have you seen marquis brownlee’s review from the f150. Couple things - it has a range of Apx 467 miles with no payload. And another cool thing is that you can fold down the gear shift (I know, ct doesn’t have one) and put the center console down for a place to work on your laptop. It also has a drainhole in the drunk so you can turn the frunk into an ice chest.
The biggest downside to the f150 was even with the largest battery it would only go 300 miles. But if it goes 467 with no payload, that helps.
We will need to see the range in action. That's for a high trim level and estimated range could be wrong. Lots of vehicles adjust estimated range from driving history. I haven't had a new vehicle like that so I can't be sure if that's going to be all that accurate.

It's also impossible to really compare the range to the CT right now unfortunately. CT range is supposed to be 250+/300+/500+. The + really throws our maximum range up in the air when it comes to accuracy.

As for a work surface, i'm still hoping for the ability to use the screen for work. Connecting a wireless keyboard and mouse would be a lot better and i've seen little work surfaces that can attach to a steering wheel. Or you could even get a work surface that goes over you and sit in the middle seat.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
have you seen marquis brownlee’s review from the f150. Couple things - it has a range of Apx 467 miles with no payload.
That was just a temporary approximation in the estimator. All estimators, even those in ICE vehicles, sometimes give usually high estimates during early part of trip until it collects enough real data for the current trip.

brownlee never even got 250mi of real world driving in the truck.

It wasn't even like brownlee drove 250 miles in the truck and at the 250 mi point the estimator said 117 miles still available.

`AquaWatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 RAM 1500,Tesla Model Y , !971SS Camaro,
Country flag
So is Ford that incompetent to advertise their truck with a measly 300 mile range ( not even plus) when it actually has approximately ( LOL) 467 mile range?
BTW, the LOL is because to post 467 as an approximate is hysterical. It would be 450, 475 even 500 but 476 is pretty darn specific, Not approximate

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So is Ford that incompetent to advertise their truck with a measly 300 mile range ( not even plus) when it actually has approximately ( LOL) 467 mile range?
BTW, the LOL is because to post 467 as an approximate is hysterical. It would be 450, 475 even 500 but 476 is pretty darn specific, Not approximate
So for one, this information didn't come from Ford at all. It came from a review from someone that doesn't even have the final product. From the video I saw, he took the estimated range and then guessed what the battery was at from a meter, and then did math off an estimated range and what he believed the metered was at. Doesn't really mean anything.

I'm going to assume that it's highly unlikely that the battery back that's in that truck and the battery pack that will be in the production truck will be the same. Just like Tesla didn't have their new battery pack to put in the Cybertruck prototype, the prototype probably had the same batteries as any Tesla.

If Ford manages to get 450 or even 500 miles of range on their Truck, it's almost certainly going to come with a sizable price increase. Tesla might have said 250+/300+/500+ range for their vehicles. But Ford didn't hint towards any possible increase in range, so if it comes out, customers will have to pay for it. I don't really want to consider what a 500 mile range lightning is going to cost since it's already pretty expensive.

Last edited:

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Cybertruck, 1988 F150, 2006 Sequoia, 1962 Scout
Country flag
Did the Ford dealer say how much over MSRP the lightning will sell for?

X32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Audio Tech
Country flag
The CT has a 220 volt outlet, correct? Don't know what amperage, I'll assume only 30a, but it wouldn't be difficult to patch that back into your breaker box to power your house. 30a wouldn't power much but it would keep you from freezing.

You would have to take great care that it's done correctly so you don't fry some poor repairman working down the street.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have a reservation for both.

As soon as I put the one in for Ford, I was bombarded by the dealership. Different emails from different people, quite a bit redundant. I thought is was very annoying. Just HMU when it's ready to buy! LOL!

In the end, hopefully both trucks will be great choices.
IMO this is the best strategy. By the time they are launched and your number comes up in the queue, you will have a lot more information and can decide what to do.
Sponsored