I wish Musk would consider this concept

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
AFAIK the screen above the steering wheel has always been standard on the S and X. If it is gone on the CT I shall miss it sorely!
Me too. I fully agree. I enjoy our S when driving do to the AFAIK. When I get into the 3, let’s just say they do not compare. So, if the CT had this, that would be amazing. But, I’m cool if it does not. The second I get the Ct, I will never drive any of our Tesla’s again I’m sure of it! I HAVE WANTED AN ELECTRIC TRUCK FOR A VERY LONG TIME!!!!. So, I’m sure over time, I’ll forget about the AFAIK.
Sponsored

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I completely agree. I don't believe the CT will have a screen above the steering column. But I would like point out one tiny bit of evidence that suggests it might. One of the main reasons (beyond aesthetic reasons) for the yoke style steering is that it doesn't block the view of the display. It's not much, but it's a tiny bit of hope.
With that said, I will love my CT no matter how many screens it has.
If it does, I’d be just
Tesla Cybertruck I wish Musk would consider this concept 1625865080363

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Me: Does not have a driver screen, I won’t buy it!

Tesla: Ok, we will process the cancellation…

Me: I’d like to apologize… I don’t know what I was thinking… planets must be misaligned…

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

Me: I’d like to apologize… I don’t know what I was thinking… planets must be misaligned…
Me. I will even take that one with two broken windows……NOT!

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Sooooo true

jefflittt

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
COE RPh
Country flag
If the CT lacks a speedometer centered on the steering column, as God intended, I will likely install one of the aftermarket options.

I've only driven in a Tesla a few times (M3P) but the missing speedometer drove me nuts. After decades of driving, I'm programmed to scan the environment: left mirror, right mirror, rear mirror, gauges. Repeat. But every time I glanced down to check my speed, "what? damnit!"

I know, I know, "you'll get used to it!" But first of all, why should I need to? And second of all, I will still drive ICE cars regularly, and if I'm re-trained to check the center console, I'll get confused. "Why am I going 101.1 MPH?? Oh wait, that's the radio"
It seems to me that the whole dash area could have had screens with the user able to customize what data appears where. Shouldn't be that complicated and cost isn't likely to be that much more. Allow the driver to decide what he wants to see and where. A simple answer to the whole problem and would promote happier customers.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The current display (S/X) depicts the car in the center and where the white lines on the roadway are relative to it. It also images cars, trucks, motor cycles, pedestrians, posts showing where they are relative to the car plus warning of the presence of objects detected by the sonic sensors. Speed and speed limit (translated to mph if you are in a metric country with a US model"). There is a panel to either side of the central panel and one can select tire pressure, navigation instructions, trip odometers (including Wh/mi and kWh used data), clock, consumption history graoh or phone directory information in either of these. I got a 3 as a loaner and while it is a nifty little car these displays are not there and, while I'm sure I'd get used to not having them, I wouldn't like it at all at first.

*Example: I turned left onto a road in Canada this morning and the first thing I see is a 50 kmph speed limit sign. The car displays 50 mph as the speed limit. A little bit later there is a 70 kmph sign and the display shows 42 mph. A bit later there is anothe 50 kmph sign but this time the display shows 31 mph. This rather strange situation occurs because the US/Canadian border runs diagonally across this road. The first speed limit sign is actually in the US and the car therefore did not translate 50 to kmph. The other two signs are past the point where the border has crossed the road. The signs and vehicle are both in Canada.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have never really felt comfortable with the center screen concept the Tesla uses. It forces the driver to look to the side, and take their eyes off the road, instead of simply up and down. I know Tesla owners say you get used to this pretty quickly, but I think if they did testing they would find microseconds reduction in the eyes acquisition of what they are looking at and a slight safety disadvantage for with the center screen only concept Tesla is using. Personally I find it very distracting to even have to look at the radio screen in the center of the dash while driving In my present car.

What are the sayings about copying is the highest form of flattery. I think BMW has it closer to having it right. I would love to see this concept on my new CT.

What do you think Elon? You’ve never been shy about accepting a better idea.

1625838339270.jpeg

1625838411438.jpeg
I think that you are missing something, and that is that Tesla's strategy and intent is to eliminate the driver altogether, leaving the center console as an entertainment device. Every one of their actions points this way, and you are thinking like a driver. Sadly us drivers are. Stepping stones on Tesla's joirney.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Many people want the standard behind the wheel screen. Does anyone not want it? Assuming the same price.

I want it, but I won't pay more for it....err, I won't pay much more for it...$100 max.

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I think that you are missing something, and that is that Tesla's strategy and intent is to eliminate the driver altogether, leaving the center console as an entertainment device. Every one of their actions points this way, and you are thinking like a driver. Sadly us drivers are. Stepping stones on Tesla's joirney.
Good point, but I would still like to have it set up optimal visual for driver control. You don’t want to take all the fun out of life when you are sitting behind the wheel..?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Good point, but I would still like to have it set up optimal visual for driver control. You don’t want to take all the fun out of life when you are sitting behind the wheel..?
There are any number of after market solutions that do exactly what you want.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I have never really felt comfortable with the center screen concept the Tesla uses. It forces the driver to look to the side, and take their eyes off the road, instead of simply up and down. I know Tesla owners say you get used to this pretty quickly, but I think if they did testing they would find microseconds reduction in the eyes acquisition of what they are looking at and a slight safety disadvantage for with the center screen only concept Tesla is using. Personally I find it very distracting to even have to look at the radio screen in the center of the dash while driving In my present car.

What are the sayings about copying is the highest form of flattery. I think BMW has it closer to having it right. I would love to see this concept on my new CT.

What do you think Elon? You’ve never been shy about accepting a better idea.

1625838339270.jpeg

1625838411438.jpeg
I would definitely like an info only screen directly in front of the driver. Maybe configurable like a smart watch face?

My question with all this is, with the processing requirements and criticality of of FSD would there be a reason to segregate the CPU so it does not get hung up on performing some of the other functions like voice to text or video games etc. (assuming FSD is actually approved?) Maybe it already does?

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I would definitely like an info only screen directly in front of the driver. Maybe configurable like a smart watch face?

My question with all this is, with the processing requirements and criticality of of FSD would there be a reason to segregate the CPU so it does not get hung up on performing some of the other functions like voice to text or video games etc. (assuming FSD is actually approved?) Maybe it already does?
i don’t think the lack of power of new computer chips is any issue. They are loading them with programs filling Musk’s wildest dreams. In a few years or less it is going to be like the 1968 movie “Space Odyssey”. …the CT door opens as you approach. Good morning Hal…..Where would like to go John? I see you have a dental appointment at 3, and you need to refill your Dr’s prescription, and don’t forget dinner out at 6:30 with the family. Just sit and watch a good movie. I highly recommend “A Space Odyssey” John. I will drop you off and pick you up. Anytime you would like to drive manually John just let me know. I know you enjoy zooming from 0 to 60 in .6 seconds. And, John, never let my battery go dead. Ok, Hal. You know John I can lock you out. I know Hal. I can start a fire. I know Hal. Good John. We understand each other John.
Sponsored

Last edited: