First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Here is an explosion using 300lbs of ANFO, equivalent to 222lbs of TNT

The entire event takes less than a second.
Explosive pounds are based on the weight of a type of tnt. They are not based upon the pressure produced.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Berno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Tacoma, TLR200
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
Maybe it’s going to one of the other factories or possibly SpaceX

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I did not know that, but if the other source is neither Tesla nor IDRA then I cannot take it very seriously. You are certainly right that a 9K-ton gigapress could make 8K-ton castings. I have to wonder what the 9K-ton gigapress would be designed for though. If Tesla has now decided that it needs a 9K-ton gigapress then they probably need several. If this press is to be used to make Cybertrucks faster (e.g., one for the front casting and one for the rear) then I am all for it. I believe that you proposed the idea that Tesla might try to use the same casting for both front and rear, and offered sound reasoning why they might do it, and that was even before Tesla announced the 4-wheel drivetrain. So, I don't suppose you can provide the other source, or was it in the video (which I admit I didn't watch).
The rear casting will have to support the bed so there's no way they'll use the same casting for the front and rear.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Why does the video call this a 9000 ton Gigapress? It says right on the side, 9000 DREAMPRESS.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Or he says :

'Just call me Bruce'

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Don't remember where it was posted or the name of the company, but a few months ago someone posted a press release from a Canadian company that are experts in designing complex molds and castings, and was partners with Tesla to do the mold making. So no, I don't think Tesla makes the molds. And this would assume they are probably made in Canada.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Could it be the Semi???
They had the semi design pretty much in the books before they announced the need for the 8K-ton gigapress for the CT. Otherwise a good suggestion.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Don't remember where it was posted or the name of the binding, but a few months ago someone posted a press release from a Canadian company that are experts in designing complex molds and castings, and was partners with Tesla to do the mold making. So no, I don't think Tesla makes the molds. And this would assume they are probably made in Canada.
I remember that. Seems like a non-essential skill to have in-house unless there is some reason they feel that company might be distressed or an acquisition target.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I remember that. Seems like a non-essential skill to have in-house unless there is some reason they feel that company might be distressed or an acquisition target.
Under the business tactic of “If you can’t beat them, destroy them,” it would not surprise me if big auto were to buy and kill such a necessary little company just to keep Tesla from winning all out. Though Tesla would then probably hire the key individuals directly and reconstitute the key technology in house.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Under the business tactic of “If you can’t beat them, destroy them,” it would not surprise me if big auto were to buy and kill such a necessary little company just to keep Tesla from winning all out. Though Tesla would then probably hire the key individuals directly and reconstitute the key technology in house.
I suspect if management got an offer like that, they would give Tesla the opportunity to counter offer.

Tesla has bought at least one company they had a similar relationship with because they were having financial difficulties.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/02/tesl...y-assembly-line-maker-supplying-bmw-mercedes/

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag