firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Interesting to know if we make the moulds or not.

Even if competitors could copy the mould, they would still have to go through the material science phase to inject something in it.

Probably the quickest & cheapest way for competitor to find out is to buy a Munro & Assoc report since Sandy's team already tore down a Tesla Model Y.

MUNRO MAIN WEBSITE: https://leandesign.com/
Sponsored

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I wonder if Tesla made a few front and rear castings for the CT in the final pre-delivery testing phase? I figure for something like this they'd have to test if it can make what it's supposed to make.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wonder if Tesla made a few front and rear castings for the CT in the final pre-delivery testing phase? I figure for something like this they'd have to test if it can make what it's supposed to make.
The casting is to bring down cost when in mass manufacture.

There are easier ways to make one-off parts that are structurally similar, so more likely they would have beta parts 3d printed or machined before turning on the casting machine and making molds for the production-intent models.

-Crissa

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
There are easier ways to make one-off parts that are structurally similar, so more likely they would have beta parts 3d printed...
Stop dumping ice water on my fantasy. There are a handful of production ready CTs waiting to be spied and drooled over by us. . .I just know it.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Stop dumping ice water on my fantasy. There are a handful of production ready CTs waiting to be spied and drooled over by us. . .I just know it.
I thought I was saying it was more likely they could move ahead even without the gigacasting machine?

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This may be the cybertruck press?
Unlikely. Elon and IDRA both said the CT is using an 8K-ton gigapress. And IDRA had that on order and announced it a year ago. This is something new. Also, their parent company announced a 9K-ton gigapress almost a year ago.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another source said IDRA had said that a 9k was going to a customer with an 8k and six 6ks, so.... maybe?

We don't know! We'll find out eventually. A 9k would be capable of doing a mold designed for an 8k.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Another source said IDRA had said that a 9k was going to a customer with an 8k and six 6ks, so.... maybe?

We don't know! We'll find out eventually. A 9k would be capable of doing a mold designed for an 8k.

-Crissa
I did not know that, but if the other source is neither Tesla nor IDRA then I cannot take it very seriously. You are certainly right that a 9K-ton gigapress could make 8K-ton castings. I have to wonder what the 9K-ton gigapress would be designed for though. If Tesla has now decided that it needs a 9K-ton gigapress then they probably need several. If this press is to be used to make Cybertrucks faster (e.g., one for the front casting and one for the rear) then I am all for it. I believe that you proposed the idea that Tesla might try to use the same casting for both front and rear, and offered sound reasoning why they might do it, and that was even before Tesla announced the 4-wheel drivetrain. So, I don't suppose you can provide the other source, or was it in the video (which I admit I didn't watch).

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not the same casting, but the same motor-suspension configuration. The bed and forward crumple zone would be different enough that the castings would probably need to be different.

But yes.

IDRA always refers to it's customers by their purchases, it never says the company names. So there could be another customer with an 8k.

But no one seems to know of one other than Tesla right now. (The customers of IDRA's sister company in China don't count, they never cross-mention)

-Crissa

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I did not know that, but if the other source is neither Tesla nor IDRA then I cannot take it very seriously. You are certainly right that a 9K-ton gigapress could make 8K-ton castings. I have to wonder what the 9K-ton gigapress would be designed for though. If Tesla has now decided that it needs a 9K-ton gigapress then they probably need several. If this press is to be used to make Cybertrucks faster (e.g., one for the front casting and one for the rear) then I am all for it. I believe that you proposed the idea that Tesla might try to use the same casting for both front and rear, and offered sound reasoning why they might do it, and that was even before Tesla announced the 4-wheel drivetrain. So, I don't suppose you can provide the other source, or was it in the video (which I admit I didn't watch).
Could it be the Semi???

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wonder if they can do 2 castings for the Model 3 or Model Y on the 9k Ton Press.

Elon, if you had 1 billion dollars what would you do?

“2 Casts at One Time”

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I wonder if they can do 2 castings for the Model 3 or Model Y on the 9k Ton Press.

Elon, if you had 1 billion dollars what would you do?

“2 Casts at One Time”
Wondering out loud if there is enough die area to support two castings? Also wondering if the focus is on single whole vehicle casting?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wondering out loud if there is enough die area to support two castings? Also wondering if the focus is on single whole vehicle casting?
Thinking not necessarily 1 giant casting, but a front and rear casting. Same as what they are talking about with the Model Y, but doing it all at once.

Not sure if it would fit either, but shouldn’t need to be as big as a whole car casting.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Here is an explosion using 300lbs of ANFO, equivalent to 222lbs of TNT

The entire event takes less than a second.
Sponsored