I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter...

msl0727

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model LR RWD FSD, '23 Cybertruck Tri-Motor FSD
Country flag
I'm a Texan who has driven nothing but big trucks my whole life, and I fell in love with the aggressiveness of the original beast.

Originally $69,900 for:
  • Tires: 35x13.5(?)r20 Mud-Tires
  • Range: 500+ miles
  • Towing capacity: More than 14,000 lbs
  • Payload: Up to 3,500 lbs
  • Bed: Stainless
  • Steel thickness: 3 mm
  • Light-bar: Integrated
  • Tailgate: Integrated Ramp
Now $99,990 for:
  • Tires: 35x11r20 Hybrid (all-terrain tread)
  • Range: 320 miles
  • Towing capacity: 11,000 lbs
  • Payload: 2,500 lbs
  • Bed: Rubber/Plastic
  • Steel thickness: ~1.4 mm
  • Light-bar: Optioned
  • Tailgate: No Ramp
The truck is scaled smaller, has less range, less towing, less storage, less material, less cells, and many of the original features are now no longer or available for an added cost.

I'm still buying, but getting less of a truck for nearly double the original price is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. At the very least, I wish could just get the original truck. I never asked to scale it to fit in my garage.
Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702911600079
Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702914674036

Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702915598530
Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702915625736

Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702914995149
Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702915189390

Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702914845369
Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702914890992

Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702915444519
Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702912425498

Tesla Cybertruck I'm still getting my Foundation Series, but I can't help but feel bitter... 1702912213780
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Much better truck, only downside is lack of integrated long range pack, reduced payload and towing for the TM version, but more for the DM/AWD, ramp was fairly useless in real life, coated bed will look an last longer than shiny SS.

Apparently, thinner SS skin is just as tough through work hardening, so no loss there.

Acceleration performance is better across the board, as well as a heap of extras that weren't included in the original, that all add value to offset that extra cost. I mean the high capacity V2X is already worth $5-10k extra in my book.

OP
OP

msl0727

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Much better truck, only downside is lack of integrated long range pack, reduced payload and towing for the TM version, but more for the DM/AWD, ramp was fairly useless in real life, coated bed will look an last longer than shiny SS.

Apparently, thinner SS skin is just as tough through work hardening, so no loss there.

Acceleration performance is better across the board, as well as a heap of extras that weren't included in the original, that all add value to offset that extra cost. I mean the high capacity V2X is already worth $5-10k extra in my book.
I don't see how it's better at all. Spec-wise and looks-wise the original truck was better in every way. Like every other truck owner, I'll spray in a bed-liner if I want one. To get more range since important for towing and other factors (still less than before), you have to sacrifice 1/3 of your bed space. Every truck owner knows bed space is crucial. 4 years of advancements in battery chemistry and energy density would have yielded even better specs than before, just by doing nothing more than using today's tech. We got less for more money.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I don't see how it's better at all. Spec-wise the original truck was better in every way. Like every other truck owner, I'll spray in a bed-liner if I want one. 4 years of advancements in battery chemistry and energy density would have yielded even better specs than before, just by doing nothing more than using today's tech. We got less for more money.
You have that the wrong way around.

They "predicted" battery specs 3 years ago on battery day that they have yet to realise. Battery day was a year after ther CT release, so there was no mention of the 4680 for the original CT, nor structural pack, not even castings were confirmed when the CT was released.

The spray in liner is not required on the CT as it is in other trucks with steel beds that can rust when the paint is scratched off.

The DM/AWD specs are all better than the original DM specs, except no ramp, and that the price went up.

OP
OP

msl0727

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You have that the wrong way around.

They "predicted" battery specs 3 years ago on battery day that they have yet to realise. Battery day was a year after ther CT release, so there was no mention of the 4680 for the original CT, nor structural pack, not even castings were confirmed when the CT was released.

The spray in liner is not required on the CT as it is in other trucks with steel beds that can rust when the paint is scratched off.

The DM/AWD specs are all better than the original DM specs, except no ramp, and that the price went up.
Again, I've ordered the tri-motor. Specs all got worse, no longer has an exoskeleton, and the truck is now less capable and less attractive for twice the money. Now way around that. They got a free 4-5 year loan from many people based off claims that never came to fruition. No other way to spin it.

I still like the truck and love Tesla, but it's a bit of a fail if you ask me. Still I've secured my order and am patiently waiting delivery, because the truck even today is better than anything in the market. It's just not leaps and bounds like hinted at.

tenetke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Country flag
I'm a Texan who has driven nothing but big trucks my whole life, and I fell in love with the aggressiveness of the original beast.

Originally $69,900 for:
Now $99,990 for:
The truck is scaled smaller, has less range, less towing, less storage, less material, less cells, and many of the original features are now no longer or available for an added cost.

I'm still buying, but getting less of a truck for nearly double the original price is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. At the very least, I wish could just get the original truck. I never asked to scale it to fit in my garage.
1702911600079.png
1702914674036.png

1702915598530.png
1702915625736.png

1702914995149.png
1702915189390.png

1702914845369.png
1702914890992.png

1702915444519.png
1702912425498.png

1702912213780.png

I’m in the same boat. I’m looking forward to the charging while traveling compared to charging my Lightning. The Cybertruck is about the width as an F150 but is 9in shorter. I’m guessing that is to help buyers who have never owned a full sized truck to park in their garage. It’s never been a concern for me. Between my Lightning and the Cybertruck I’ll take the size of the frunk in the Lightning any day. I’m keeping my Lightning because it’s a great truck for me. I’ll miss the massage seats on roadtrips but the charging will definitely be a plus. The range of around 300 miles has never been an issue for me but I’m planning on buying the range extender for the Cybertruck. Switching to an ev truck from an ICE worked fine for me. I was able to put around 36k miles on it in my first year and never got stranded on the side of the road because of a dead/low battery.

OP
OP

msl0727

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m in the same boat. I’m looking forward to the charging while traveling compared to charging my Lightning. The Cybertruck is about the width as an F150 but is 9in shorter. I’m guessing that is to help buyers who have never owned a full sized truck to park in their garage. It’s never been a concern for me. Between my Lightning and the Cybertruck I’ll take the size of the frunk in the Lightning any day. I’m keeping my Lightning because it’s a great truck for me. I’ll miss the massage seats on roadtrips but the charging will definitely be a plus. The range of around 300 miles has never been an issue for me but I’m planning on buying the range extender for the Cybertruck. Switching to an ev truck from an ICE worked fine for me. I was able to put around 36k miles on it in my first year and never got stranded on the side of the road because of a dead/low battery.
This is true, but when towing range drops off a ton, and if I've learned anything from my 2018 Model 3 long-range RWD, its that range today is not range tomorrow. We used to make it from Houston to Dallas (family visits) in one shot only stopping to have extra range for getting around town. Then we required 1 stop to actually make it. Now we have to stop 2 times to make it. We just happen to have a really good spacing of Buc-ee's that fast charge and accommodate a need to snack and pee. lol Range will fall off. Get as much as you can.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Again, I've ordered the tri-motor. Specs all got worse, no longer has an exoskeleton, and the truck is now less capable and less attractive for twice the money. Now way around that. They got a free 4-5 year loan from many people based off claims that never came to fruition. No other way to spin it.

I still like the truck and love Tesla, but it's a bit of a fail if you ask me. Still I've secured my order and am patiently waiting delivery, because the truck even today is better than anything in the market. It's just not leaps and bounds like hinted at.
Then order a DM for a better deal?

The loan to them was meaningless for them. The exoskeleton is still there, exactly as described in the Tesla patent, which most just didn't understand, and was always more rebranding of unibody anyway.

I can agree that the price was unexpected, but I also understand that it is the current price while production has yet to start. So it is not as meaningful as everyone makes it out to be yet.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
This is true, but when towing range drops off a ton, and if I've learned anything from my 2018 Model 3 long-range RWD, its that range today is not range tomorrow. We used to make it from Houston to Dallas (family visits) in one shot only stopping to have extra range for getting around town. Then we required 1 stop to actually make it. Now we have to stop 2 times to make it. We just happen to have a really good spacing of Buc-ee's that fast charge and accommodate a need to snack and pee. lol Range will fall off. Get as much as you can.
Sounds like you are having a battery issue with your M3.

tenetke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Country flag
ABC of ev driving for me..always be charging.

I have yet to fill my bed so full that I’ve needed a trailer for roadtrips. Have taken 500 mile trips to San Antonio and west Texas around Lubbock only has fast charging at Tesla Superchargers. Driving every hour or two works for me for stopping too. I hope you enjoy your Cybertruck. I’ve always wanted a Tesla but needed a truck. The Cybertruck is also why I installed solar/batteries at my home a few year ago too.

OP
OP

msl0727

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like you are having a battery issue with your M3.
When my warranty was about to expire several years back, I created a service ticket (mainly because one of the 16A internal chargers had died), but and I also indicated that my range had fallen off a cliff since the purchase, and I wanted to get these items addressed while I still could under warranty. They said the range decrease was within spec, and on the day of our appointment, they postponed the visit to a much later time because they said the didn't have the part they needed in stock and would have to special order it. By the time they finally got the part in, they rescheduled our appointment, and then told us we instead need to bring it in for this repair. Then sent us a massive bill for it. I said it should be under warranty. They said its a few miles over. I said, yeah since you pushed us back I still needed to get to work, so I kept driving, but pull the logs and see that it was under warranty when I submitted this ticket. They went back and forth with my and I had to settle with them by paying half of the repairs worth like over a grand. I'm still salty about that! Still range is no bueno, but we make it work with planned stops in Madisonville and Ennis.

*I say over a grand. I'm going off memory, and I think I recall paying like 2k, but I can't recall exactly, so I said ~1,000. it was a lot of money that we shouldn't have had to pay. I remember that at least. I was so mad (still am).

ev4me

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (single motor)
Occupation
Construction Estimator
Country flag

Originally $69,900 for:
Now $99,990 for:

1702911600079.png
1702914674036.png

1702915598530.png
1702915625736.png

1702914995149.png
1702915189390.png

1702914845369.png
1702914890992.png

1702915444519.png
1702912425498.png

1702912213780.png
Well said. I feel the same way. The 5% reduction in physical size trickled down to all the other performance details/capabilities. To temper the bitter taste, try to focus on the features not known during the 2019 unveiling, stir-by-wire, rear wheel steering and etc.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I hope that bitter will become sweet in a very short amount of time once the truck is experienced personally.

OP
OP

msl0727

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hope that bitter will become sweet in a very short amount of time once the truck is experienced personally.
Don't get me wrong. I'm still excited and watching my app every day for the Tesla delivery notification.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Originally $69,900 for:
They never said which of those would be optional components, and steel thickness would have to vary to get the crumple zones.

And the bed is still stainless, just stainless composite instead of steel.

So what they really missed was range, capacity, and price.

But how many thread did we have saying Tesla should match or exceed the other EV trucks' price?

So maybe just range and capacity of the top-end truck. Would you be willing to give up four inches of headroom to get that range?

-Crissa
Sponsored