Is GM putting 100% effort into EVs? NO! - new ICE engine introduced

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Sometime months ago some said legacy auto OEMs had stop putting resources into ICE. Well they have not stopped.

GM has millions of debt and needs to transition to EVs but somehow always has money for new ICE.
Have to wait years for EVs but no problem releasing more ICE.

And how many of these gas hog will retain pollution controls as well as greenhouse gases they will spew.

----------------------------

Chevy’s 1,000-HP, 10.4L Crate Engine Costs More Than a V8 Camaro
You've got to really want the ZZ632 to pay that price.
By James Gilboy November 2, 2021
https://www.thedrive.com/news/42955/chevys-1000-hp-10-4l-crate-engine-costs-more-than-a-v8-camaro

Chevrolet Performance Unveils Its Largest, Most Powerful Crate Engine Ever
The ZZ632/1000 is a 632-cubic-inch V-8 delivering 1,004 horsepower
2021-10-20
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u...ent/Pages/news/us/en/2021/oct/1020-crate.html
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This is a specialty aftermarket crate motor.. this isn't gonna be getting put into Suburban and crap from the factory. Its for automotive enthusiast.

I love driving a clean vehicle everyday and hope to transition to full BEV ASAP.. But I still have my old dinosaurs in the garage.. nothing wrong with that.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
This is a specialty aftermarket crate motor.. this isn't gonna be getting put into Suburban and crap from the factory. Its for automotive enthusiast.

I love driving a clean vehicle everyday and hope to transition to full BEV ASAP.. But I still have my old dinosaurs in the garage.. nothing wrong with that.
Then they should be EV crate motors, like the one Ford showed this week.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Then they should be EV crate motors, like the one Ford showed this week.
They are and not every car enthusiast wants silence. Also, I seriously doubt the few engines they will sell like this is going to put the world in global climate despair.. we've all ready managed to achieve that :LOL:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Well, to be fair, they are working on this. Reportedly is is due out this year.
GMs Electric Vehicle Future | Performance (chevrolet.com)
I think the main problem most of us have with GM is TRUST. Trust is built with consistency, GM and most of the OEM auto companies have consistently lied and cheated. VW is on the top of that heap.

The photo at the end of that website cracks me up. Are we supposed to longingly looking to the horizon, waiting for GM to amaze us? Not me! I gave up on them and their dealer stealer network! OEMs and the dealer mark-ups, PISS ME OFF!

waiting.jpg

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here’s what GM unveiled at SEMA

https://www.newsweek.com/chevrolet-...lds-first-hoonigan-collaboration-sema-1644615

Seven really rad concept truck/ OHVs. Zero EVs.

1635957662142.png

Aside from the absurd view blocking hood, this is a pretty rad OHV. Reinvisioned as an EV it could have fantastic visibility and performance.

GM needs to get their EV game on. 0/7 is a pretty crap score for a supposedly future facing company. These are *concepts* never intended to hit the road. They don’t need to be practical.

EDIT: The Hummer is there also. Weird that this article doesn’t even mention it.

Last edited:

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I think the main problem most of us have with GM is TRUST. Trust is built with consistency, GM and most of the OEM auto companies have consistently lied and cheated. VW is on the top of that heap.

The photo at the end of that website cracks me up. Are we supposed to longingly looking to the horizon, waiting for GM to amaze us? Not me! I gave up on them and their dealer stealer network! OEMs and the dealer mark-ups, PISS ME OFF!

waiting.jpg
True. No argument from me, and I have 2 GM vehicles. Dodge is even worse in the trust department IMO.
No legacy automakers are getting my business from my next vehicle purchase.

Last edited:

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Might not be everything as it seems. Those engines were probably already in development for the previous 5 to 10 years, and once money has been invested into something, I'm sure management has a hard time just chopping it at 90ish percent complete or just throwing it away.

Now, of course this is a bad time and a bad message for them to be introducing these, but maybe their 'bean counters' figure it will still given them some financial return from some of their brainwashed customer base who doesn't realize GM cares nothing about them, and has often outsourced American jobs overseas for money, along with other grossly wasteful fats in their business model I've mentioned in other posts.

They might be figuring they can recoup some of the money that they had put into the engines' development, instead of those initiatives being a total loss. But GM and other legacy auto is in a Bad Place, not only just because of their stale backward looking internal projects, but also because of their business model entanglements with dealer associations and unions which politically and financially strangles them paralyzing them from having any agility to move or innovate in a forward direction.

Here's a reality that some GM customers are finally realizing however:

I showed someone how it only costs $7 dollars to fully charge a Tesla Model 3 the other day...

-ÆCIII

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Penny wise, dollar poor. Or in this case, focusing on short term rewards at the expense of their future.

Possible these efforts will worthless in as few as 5 years. Only a tiny amount of their investment is likely to be relevant in 10 years.

By comparison, every dollar spent on EVs is going to be leveraged for 20+ years.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Might not be everything as it seems. Those engines were probably already in development for the previous 5 to 10 years, and once money has been invested into something, I'm sure management has a hard time just chopping it at 90ish percent complete or just throwing it away.
Sure. You don’t throw it away. But making a big deal about it and promoting it heavily is like bragging about how you’ve had your eye off the ball for the past 10 years.