Is the additional range from the single motor to the dual worth $10k?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
If I can get dual-motor at $41k, will I care that the single-motor model at $40k went away? Not really.

-Crissa
Understood but “fleet” sales?

There exist 50 state DOT dept. fleets, 100’s of Fortune fleets and 1000’s of commercial fleet sales that drive FORD F series revenue. Hell FORD slip a new car in 50 state governors garage 1JAN every year at midnight.

RWD is not really about top line vehicle sales. FORD manages the bottomline in its fleet sales where the DOT, Chips and work fleets demand price/performance over 4x4. In fleet running an extra motor that simply adds to maintenance is more than the $1k USD differential.

It may be that $1k is chasing diminshing returns for Tesla. In which case, Elon may put his factory to better use building more proftable 4x4 units. IF @cybertruckguy latest video about “revolutionary “ 4x4 CT this week was sanctioned by Tesla, as I suspect. RWD could be counter-revolutionary. That may mean RWD consumers will never see.
Sponsored

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
If I can get dual-motor at $41k, will I care that the single-motor model at $40k went away? Not really.

-Crissa
No, but if you can get dual-motor at $41k, I'd wager that you can get single-motor at far less than $40k once all of the same credits (I'm assuming you got to the $41k for dual motor after EV credits are applied at the state level, etc.) are applied.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I think most "truck" people are not that concerned with 0-60 times and top speed. Most care about hauling, towing, and utility. (which is why you don't see a ton of those F150 Raptors out there)

To me a dual motor gives you the best combination of those for the best price tag. What it's missing is range. I believe the way Tesla is achieving the 500+ range on the Tri-Motor is they are doubling the battery pack size (maybe 2 layers of the 4680 cells stacked?). I don't see why they can't offer that same range but in a dual motor. I would gladly pay an additional 5-7k for extra battery capacity.
Extra capacity is irrelevant to me but 4WD is essential for our winters. Does seem like a huge jump but who knows what option packages will be offered a year from now.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla will have to have excess manufacturing capacity first.

-Crissa
Sure that might be issue for 2021 & 2022. But for 2023-2024 and beyond this is not necessarily a problem. Tesla builds whole factories in 12-14 months. 2023-2024 is over two years away. If there is shortage of batteries, the single motor has a smaller battery. Maybe Tesla has to raise the price of single motor to $42K-$43K but it would still have lower initial sales price than similar ICE truck.

If US Federal incentives come back for Tesla they could raise single motor to $45K. This might be a reason Tesla stopped $35K Model 3 RWD SR because there might be Federal incentives again soon and the end price for the existing $38K SR Plus will be less than $35K

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think most "truck" people are not that concerned with 0-60 times and top speed. Most care about hauling, towing, and utility.
I mostly agree. Some of these acceleration times are ridiculous. Do not need to race Ferrari.
But a liitle bit of extra acceleration than ICE trucks would be good when hauling a trailer and trying to merge on the highway or climb mountain.

To me a dual motor gives you the best combination of those for the best price tag. What it's missing is range. I believe the way Tesla is achieving the 500+ range on the Tri-Motor is they are doubling the battery pack size (maybe 2 layers of the 4680 cells stacked?). I don't see why they can't offer that same range but in a dual motor. I would gladly pay an additional 5-7k for extra battery capacity.
Yes!!! Want option of single motor and dual motor with 600mi+ dual battery pack.

Put two charge ports in front of truck so I can use two SuperCharger to parallel charge at almost any existing SuperCharger location without needing to unhook trailer. Yes, us Cybertruck guys will block some spots but we will try to be considerate and not stay long :)

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No, but if...
...completely perpendicular to the conversation.

If the single-motor is canceled, it doesn't matter if the EV credits are back. And if the EV credits come back and the single-motor isn't canceled, then I can afford the dual so it extra doesn't matter.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone else has a different opinion.

I have a reservation for a single motor which the known specs regarding payload, towing and etc exceeds my expectations for my driving habits. Upgrading to a dual motor really comes down to the additional range. Even though I would love to have the tri motor, it is too much for me and extra 50 miles for the dual for $10k more doesn't look like money well spent. On a 2000 mile drive you would have to stop to charge once or twice more with a single. That kind of trip doesn't happen often for me.
I was leaning heavily toward single motor. I have done 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and 6.5 second on 4 wheels is zippy enough for me. The range in dual will not put me in safe zone. I need 340 to make a difference and the plus part of 300+ is probably not plus enough for me to make it in one charge. Even single motor is more than I have paid for any car to get from A to B especially hard to justify now that I spend most of my time at A but I am due for a stupid decision (only a bit more stupid than single motor). So the following are the reasons I went for dual motor:

1 - My rear wheel drive truck has mind of his own in winter. I am ready for a change.
2 - I am planning to use CT until I kick the bucket and don’t want any regrets, plus security of having a second motor to get me home if the first one gives up at some point has some value. Having one efficient motor and one powerful motor is nice too.
3 - As is waiting for my turn for a dual motor may be too long and force me to cancel the reservation and go with something else. Adding to that time by going single motor may be asking my current truck a little too much.
4 - Dual motor towing capacity with 4 wheel drive makes it a bit more future proof for camping purposes now that Covid has made Hotels a bit less attractive.

all that said it is the question of the opportunity cost. What would you do with that $10K (plus tax, insurance and fees) if you go with Single motor.

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
I am really hoping they offer short, mid, and long range version of all three motor combinations. I know that's wishful thinking. I have the dual motor on order for AWD, but i would REALLY love the 500+ mile range of the Tri motor. Id be happy to pay for a larger pack but not the extra cost for another motor. that 24k jump is too much for me.
Being able to run on one motor if one fails would be cool.
A 500+ mile dual motor for a 15k jump over the single motor price would be a nice option.

Last edited:

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
This comment was in reference to a statement on being able to run one or two motors for a DCT. Now seems out of context here!

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone else has a different opinion.

I have a reservation for a single motor which the known specs regarding payload, towing and etc exceeds my expectations for my driving habits. Upgrading to a dual motor really comes down to the additional range. Even though I would love to have the tri motor, it is too much for me and extra 50 miles for the dual for $10k more doesn't look like money well spent. On a 2000 mile drive you would have to stop to charge once or twice more with a single. That kind of trip doesn't happen often for me.
The additional range is secondary in my opinion. I wanted the better performance. Who wants to be stuck with a comparative slug that may be difficult to sell? Sunday afternoon "strolls" are fine if that is all you want, but on the highway if I need to pass a slug I want the 'oomph' to be able to do it quickly and safely.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla will have to have excess manufacturing capacity first.

Another North American factory in 4-5 years.

Maybe another source for Cybertrucks.

------------------

Tesla reveals plans for its fifth Gigafactory, but it won’t be in India
By Joey Klender
Posted on October 26, 2020
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-fifth-gigafactory-united-states/

Interestingly, CEO Elon Musk stated in early August that a third production facility in the United States was “very likely” during an interview with Jason Stein of Automotive News.

“I think at some point there will be a third Gigafactory. I’d imagine it would be up in the Northeast,” Musk said. “There’s a mass amount of stuff to do. But, do I think, at some point, we will have a third plant located in North America? I think that’s very likely.

Musk added that it would probably begin construction in four to five years, but added that it was not a concrete plan.

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag

If the single-motor is canceled, it doesn't matter if the EV credits are back. And if the EV credits come back and the single-motor isn't canceled, then I can afford the dual so it extra doesn't matter.

-Crissa
But what $41k dual motor are you referring to? That's just what I'm not getting. My earlier point only questioned whether the single motor would come into fruition.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

-Crissa
Single motor has justified rank in the CT line. Size matters especially battery. Its a legitimate choice to choose Dual motor to get the bigger battery. The extra that does matter is driving around two motors, live axels and doubling the vehicle points of failure, just to stretch range. Single is sensible in this context.

KISS people (me), fleets and penny-pinchers can reduce exposure to fail at entry point by ordering Standard CT. DUAL CT, one motor is inactive engaging this second motor “only” on-demand. Its a cool way to get 4x4 and electrons/mi. DUAL is logical 4x4 choice.

I’m down here in Panama. I don’t need problems. Single is bog standard CT. It should just work without synchronizing a second motor in and out. Nor do I have to worry about exposure to the salt ocean air of that inactive motor and differential axel ass’y. Pan Americana carretta is brutally maintained with potholes and broken concrete bits. That second motor I needn’t be concerned about vibration and shock torture.

Single CT I expect can have a development path to fill that structural second stack battery pack that’s empty with 4680 doubling range. That’s more attractive as battery $$$ comes down. As is the RWD and suspension kit up front for development. Single CT is simpler, less cost and more affordable to maintain or develop further.
Sponsored