Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
P.S. There aren't enough Republicans in the state to have even got the recall petition on the ballot, meaning...
https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/recalls/current-recall-efforts/newsom-recall-faqs
To qualify a recall of the Governor for the ballot, proponents need a minimum of 1,495,709 valid petition signatures.
https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/ror/ror-odd-year-2021/county.pdf

Less than half of registered voters are Democrats; there are only about ten million registered Democrats in California. There are over five million registered Republicans.

So no, no Democrats had to have signed the petition or be mad at Newsom. I won't get into the frankly self-conflicting and mostly fictitious reasons to recall the governor.

-Crissa
Sponsored

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/recalls/current-recall-efforts/newsom-recall-faqs

https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/ror/ror-odd-year-2021/county.pdf

Less than half of registered voters are Democrats; there are only about ten million registered Democrats in California. There are over five million registered Republicans.

So no, no Democrats had to have signed the petition or be mad at Newsom. I won't get into the frankly self-conflicting and mostly fictitious reasons to recall the governor.

-Crissa
Good then. You support him. As I said, we'll have to see how it goes. Each is entitled to their own opinion. Regardless, if the voters boot him out, then he is out. If not, he stays and ultimately faces a re-election bid. He didn't help matters by breaking his own rules though. Agreed?

bukkakeaisu

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J120 LandCruiser Prado
Country flag
I'm currently in Tokyo, this talk of tiny homes is like when people complain about gas prices. From over here, California looks cheap and homes are huuuuge. I have two CT reservations, one for here and one for California but garages are rare in Japan and we are required to pay the local police station to physically come out and measure our parking space, and show legal proof we own the land or are renting in....before we can even register a vehicle.

I won't get into the frankly self-conflicting and mostly fictitious reasons to recall the governor.
As someone who is neither (R) or (D) and currently watching the situation from the other side of the pond, I see plenty of legit reasons to recall Newsom. Not sure what you see as "self-conflicting and mostly fictitious" but you need to "get into" them to have a meaningful discussion. Political views aside, as drscot just pointed out, his hierocracy being exposed was certainly enough for many people to believe he is not acting in good faith. That matters.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...his hierocracy being exposed was certainly enough...
No priests were involved.

Everyone has hypocritical moments... but it's the height of hypocrisy to complain about someone going to a private event that was allowed by the rules when the complainant is also not following those constraints and also violating the constraints.

Self-conflicting would be the many campaigning that both too many died from COVID and we shouldn't have shut down any economic activity.

-Crissa

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
wtf has this thread turned in to.... :oops::oops::oops:

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I'm currently in Tokyo, this talk of tiny homes is like when people complain about gas prices. From over here, California looks cheap and homes are huuuuge. I have two CT reservations, one for here and one for California but garages are rare in Japan and we are required to pay the local police station to physically come out and measure our parking space, and show legal proof we own the land or are renting in....before we can even register a vehicle.

As someone who is neither (R) or (D) and currently watching the situation from the other side of the pond, I see plenty of legit reasons to recall Newsom. Not sure what you see as "self-conflicting and mostly fictitious" but you need to "get into" them to have a meaningful discussion. Political views aside, as drscot just pointed out, his hierocracy being exposed was certainly enough for many people to believe he is not acting in good faith. That matters.
Hierocracy? Please expound. I will come to Crissa's defense here. Just like you said she "needed to get into them to have a meaningful discussion"' so must you. I will defend people I disagree with even if their arguments are fallacious especially when those who fault them use equally flawed examples and do not see it. I may disagree with Crissy about plenty, but she has a right to her opinion AND the right not to be attacked (she was NOT attacked here) by those disagreeing with her. You agree with me about the recall of Newsom while she disagrees. Fine and dandy. We are adults and can have a reasonable discussion about opposing opinions. The voters will decide. It isn't like we are a Democracy, which we are not. That is why the rule of law permits the recall. We are a Republic. Recite the Pledge of Allegiance if you doubt me. That is not opinion; it is fact. "...and to the Republic for which it stands....", not "...and to the Democracy for which it stands.....". But aren't Teslas great? I can't wait to get my CT! I am thankful that God put such creative genius in one Elon Musk like He did. Had He not, he may well still be playing with Tinker Toys and we'd all be driving ICE machines or wind-ups. I am awed by that man's genius. Faulty at times, of course. That's the human side of the equation, but to every one of the naysayers out there (and I have certainly seen and heard my fill of them), I simply say, "Okay, show us how to do a better job". It is like beating John Browning's 1911. Over 100 years later it is still a masterpiece. Bells and whistles added, of course, but beat the basic design? Not yet. At least not so far. Elon has an imperfect genius that the "Never Elon's" out there would do well to recognize that there is a significant difference between "imperfect genius" and "simply imperfection". They would help humankind (and themselves) by adding to Elon rather than one upmanship games. Competition, absolutely. I'm talking about these yokels that get on TV and predict the demise of Tesla while tearing down Elon and his work. I'm not even sure a good spankin' would fix what's wrong with them, but what the heck!

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag

Everyone has hypocritical moments... but it's the height of hypocrisy to complain about someone going to a private event that was allowed by the rules when the complainant is also not following those constraints and also violating the constraints.

Self-conflicting would be the many campaigning that both too many died from COVID and we shouldn't have shut down any economic activity.

-Crissa
If I understood the news reports, it was a public restaurant. The 'little people' are the ones complaining about Newsom's failure to follow the edicts pronounced on them. If the label of "private event" could lift his edicts from those in attendance, every business owner who went under in the state of California could have simply issued lapel stickers for everyone attending their private "Staying in Business" Celebration and avoided his onerous rules. Such was not the case. People were arrested for doing the same thing or less while observing social distancing and many times wearing useless masks., which the Newsom gang clearly was not. Many were arrested simply for having their businesses open. Newsom wasn't even skirting the law. He was skirting his own edicts. So now the people will decide. Is it "tar and feather" time or will they reward him with continued presence in office and perhaps re-election? If he is recalled, will you respect the will of the people, which in this case will be a majority or not? It doesn't matter what the political makeup of those that succeeded in getting the recall through is. They did it legally. They were entitled to it under California law and they met the standard. You don't like it. Neither does Newsom. If it succeeds, he will have to abide by it. So will you.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
They asked.

-Crissa
I moved from California, and then insinuations began as to why I may have moved. False ones at that. Cut the crap.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Just because it doesn't need a garage, doesn't mean I won't park mine in my garage. Now, I may have a modified super-garage, but ok - it fits :p

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
wtf has this thread turned in to.... :oops::oops::oops:
You are absolutely right, but once a stone is first thrown, it should be held responsible for the inevitable defensive move that will ensue, regardless of the popularity of the stone thrower. Nobody is supposed to get a pass.

bukkakeaisu

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J120 LandCruiser Prado
Country flag
LOL, I must have misspelled hypocrisy and it autocorrected to hierocracy.

Unsure who the complainant you are referring to is but the people upset by his actions are upset because they were following the constraints only to find out Newsom wasn't. I don't really buy the "permitted private event" excuse as the initial responses were to lie and claim it was outdoors...the whole thing came across as disingenuous. I'm also not a fan of pumping billions into issues that ultimately end up in the massively inefficient bureaucracies that don't ever solve the issues they sprung up around.

I'm not sure how you're getting that impression. From here it looks like democrats are complaining about the death toll and republicans are complaining about the shut down of economic activity. Politicizing the pandemic at both the federal and state levels was bad for everyone and people in both parties are to blame. For good measure, here in Japan, there was no lockdown, the trains are/were crowded as cattle cars, but masks have been very very effective. Seems like most clusters are being traced back to idiots out at "private parties" and such. (Like Newsom, the Health ministry staff held a private party that turned into a cluster....one guy tried to commit suicide when it came to light)Even with cases rising here, the numbers are quite small compared to other countries...though Japan flubbed the vaccine approach and roll out pretty bad. I still can't get vaccinated for at least a few more weeks. (despite the Olympics starting today)

.....and back on track, I've been looking at homes here and it's funny having to tell the agents "The home is everything I want....except my future truck simply won't fit in the built in garage." (not really a garage, just a cut out on the first floor where the rear end of the car can back into. ) At over 2M wider, Sir Mix-A-Lot would be proud but like so many things here, you need to find something 'merican sized.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
wtf... I'll enter the political fray because I can't stand bothsidesism.

Speaking about American politics in general, not just Cali... One thing I'm sick of seeing is this bothsidesism. Yes both sides do bad shit, but republicans in their sycophantic desire to please their great and dear leader have done demonstrably more bad shit in recent years. I am liberal and a progressive but I can sit and enjoy a conversation with someone with more of a conservative mindset. I recognize there is a ying and a yang to those two broad sides of human nature. However, the Republicans in power are not conservatives, they are religious whack jobs (or pander to them) in search of power. Case in point, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Ted Cruz to name a few. I'm not saying all Republican politicians are power hungry psychopaths... but far too many are.

bukkakeaisu

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J120 LandCruiser Prado
Country flag
wtf... I'll enter the political fray because I can't stand bothsidesism.
Bothsideism? I'm just callin' it like I see it...why does that bother you?

However, the Republicans in power are not conservatives, they are religious whack jobs (or pander to them) in search of power. Case in point, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Ted Cruz to name a few. I'm not saying all Republican politicians are power hungry psychopaths... but far too many are.
I'm not religious at all so while I share your views on the injection of irrational views into politics "because religion," I am also frustrated by the injection irrational views into politics on the other side of the aisle as well. I don't care what letter someone has by their name if they cut through that crap and genuinely serve to improve the state/country/etc.
Sponsored