cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
hope people heard what Elon said....and not what they were hoping to hear.

For example, he said a handful of Cybertrucks by the end of this year, and then ramping in 2024 after the s-curve, "slowly at first". <---- translation It won't be 250,000 units in 2024.
the question posed was essentially ā€˜what will max CT production beā€™ and so yes, his qualifier RE S-curve etc I think should make pretty clear that she was not indicating a quarter of a million in 2024 in US market
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I am the same boat with an early day 2 reservation. I really want the Cybertruck and like everything that has been revealed up to this point. I am just hoping that revised MSRPā€™s wonā€™t burst my enthusiasm for the truck.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
There's a lot of hints that initial CT will be priced above 80k. I think that's fine, just like the Plaid or Hummer, there will be people to pay that.

That doesn't mean there won't eventually be a lower priced truck, which is obviously essential for scale.

Last night was the first I heard Elon question demand, say it will have a small impact on the company, etc. In the past he was saying it would be the best selling truck in the world and disrupt the market. It sounds like they've still not figured out the production challenges he spoke about a year or so ago.
I heard the same as you. It was quite interesting to have Elon mention production challenges. Also, previously Tesla has said they are still figuring out the 4680 production issues. The idea of a stainless steel skelton was easy, building it is turning out to be hard. But that is what Elon does.

Trbizwiz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 RWD, Dodge Challenger
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
The world's richest man might have a different definition of the word "affordable"
I doubt it. I think he constantly looks at statistics and sales volumes. He has said as much when raising and lowering prices on 3 and Y. I think there is a good chance the first trucks will be high end, and expensive, while they figure out how to ramp up. But The ASP will have to be in the $6x,xxx range to sell anything approaching 250k per year. I think they may sell the first few hundred thousand at any price they choose, once that early demand is met, sales will drop to match X and S if the price remains in the $90K ASP.
I personally hope all Cybertrucks delivered this year are quad motor plaid variants. These were not mentioned in the original reveal, so any pricing is fine. Only a few will be delivered, and those that get delivered will be very interesting to follow, because of their capabilities. Imagine watching plaid CT smoking super cars on race tracks, and making blistering times across Baja. I think the dual motor will be a great truck, but maybe a little boring, compared to the fantastic potential for the plaid. Basically if I am not getting one for 2 years, I want to be entertained by those that do get them. I will find the plaid quad motor most entertaining. I know for some single motor first day order folks, that is not ideal, but as a share holder, the idea of low volume, high margin appeals to me, more than low volume, zero margin. Many of us probably invested our down payment in TSLA while we wait. High margins push those investments up, making our eventual purchase more affordable.

Last edited:

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
All this talk of unaffordable CT ā€¦really? I thought this is why it is being built the way it is. Unaffordableā€¦..really? I thought this exoskeleton was to reduce the cost of production. This is what we heard in the past. I would think that we may all be surprised and it will be very affordable. Plus with vertical integration and 48 volt system should be just fine. I think you will find reservation holders want their CT just like me. Personally after driving my MS for four years I canā€™t stand driving my ICE truck. Bring on the CT Iā€™m ready. I sold my Amazon stock and ready to sell my Chipotle to cover the cost of my CT.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
As the truck gets closer to production the more I realize how expensive the Cybertruck is going to be. The premium Tri/Quad trim will most likely be offered first with the lower Dual Motor trim being offered later.

If new MSRPā€™s are 40% than 2019 numbers you are going to see a lot of disappointed reservation holders and cancellations.
the more you guess at how expensive it'll be.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I heard the same as you. It was quite interesting to have Elon mention production challenges. Also, previously Tesla has said they are still figuring out the 4680 production issues. The idea of a stainless steel skelton was easy, building it is turning out to be hard. But that is what Elon does.
Yeah, and since Elon hired a new Twitter CEO and stated he is going to focus on Tesla for awhile, I think that is a great thing to figure out any potential production issues with the CT. I still remember when Elon stated that the CT is his "special project." Hoping that is still his focus and he and the Tesla team will make this beast affordable and still the best truck on the market!

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Yeah, and since Elon hired a new Twitter CEO and stated he is going to focus on Tesla for awhile. . .
When the Twitter CEO rumors turned out to be true, the first thing I thought of was the CT launch.

I think he's concentrating on Starship and CT for the rest of the year. For him to waste brain cycles on Twitter seems 'not wise'.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
All this talk of unaffordable CT ā€¦really? I thought this is why it is being built the way it is. Unaffordableā€¦..really? I thought this exoskeleton was to reduce the cost of production. This is what we heard in the past. I would think that we may all be surprised and it will be very affordable. Plus with vertical integration and 48 volt system should be just fine. I think you will find reservation holders want their CT just like me. Personally after driving my MS for four years I canā€™t stand driving my ICE truck. Bring on the CT Iā€™m ready. I sold my Amazon stock and ready to sell my Chipotle to cover the cost of my CT.
He said the opposite about the exoskeleton last night.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Yeah, and since Elon hired a new Twitter CEO and stated he is going to focus on Tesla for awhile, I think that is a great thing to figure out any potential production issues with the CT. I still remember when Elon stated that the CT is his "special project." Hoping that is still his focus and he and the Tesla team will make this beast affordable and still the best truck on the market!
I hope too.

Yet, the reality of manufacturing is that it is hard. Elon said it again yesterday. (Especially MASS production).

I still believe what he said. Minimal CyberTrucks this year, and a slow ramp (s-curve) starting in 2024.

Even though I placed a reservation in November 2019 (Tri-Motor), I still think it will be quite a while before my number is called. And, I fully expect it to be expensive. I am ready now Elon! LOL

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
Who said what where?

-Crissa
ā€œSo the Cybertruck is a hard car to make. Because itā€™s such a radically new design, you canā€™t just use conventional methods of manufacturing. We had to invent a whole new set of manufacturing techniques in order to build an exoskeleton-based car instead of an endoskeleton-based car,ā€

He said this right before the statement on cost.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
ā€œSo the Cybertruck is a hard car to make. Because itā€™s such a radically new design, you canā€™t just use conventional methods of manufacturing. We had to invent a whole new set of manufacturing techniques in order to build an exoskeleton-based car instead of an endoskeleton-based car,ā€

He said this right before the statement on cost.
Yep.. gotta have that build up of explanation to soften the blow.

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
I keep thinking about his production number estimate. 250k/year, eventually, would not equate to S/X prices. Maybe the first year, they do similar to the 3 ramp. The model 3 Performance debuted in 2018 at $78k, a month later, dropped to $69k. Then a year later, another drop to $59K. They still kept it under the S/X price, which may sound irrelevant, but I think it will apply a little to the cybertruck. It's not competing in the same segment and I think they'll sit it between the 3/Y and the S/X. The 3 is currently $55k and the lowest S at $88K. I think it sits somewhere in between these numbers. Maybe not the first 6 months, but at 250k/year production I bet it settles here. Probably me just being hopeful though, lol.:LOL:

Jclark87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F-350 DRW, 2004 Scion xB RS 1.0
Country flag
Prices for the other 4 models havenā€™t seen
As the truck gets closer to production the more I realize how expensive the Cybertruck is going to be. The premium Tri/Quad trim will most likely be offered first with the lower Dual Motor trim being offered later.

If new MSRPā€™s are 40% than 2019 numbers you are going to see a lot of disappointed reservation holders and cancellations.
S3XY prices havenā€™t increased 40% since 2019. In fact the Model 3 and Y are almost the exact same price as 2019 prices.
price increases. I
Sponsored