Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Helps me to calm my feelings of the price increases and decreased range. Still not fully decided. I need to see and hopefully drive in real life to determine if this will be the truck I purchase.
Yeah, so now we move to concerns about insurance cost. Time to bump that thread I think.
Sponsored

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
This video is better than the whole damn event yesterday.
I fly an Airbus aircraft with fly-by-wire, it’s a dream to operate.
The event yesterday was exactly the same ramble as the reveal, (with more stutter), the only thing different is that it's now lesser of a truck.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
This is my new favorite Cybertruck video at this time.... ;)

Good details, like 1366 cells in the pack induction motors, 800V pack and a 10% range reduction if you leave the vault open.

Also some good details on the Steer by wire setup, but they also misrepresent some details regards 48V weight reduction and exoskeleton by simplifying them too much. But that's ok for most viewers as they get the idea that way, but not so much the how.

Overall well balanced, informative and good video coverage of the CT on track.

Looks epic, I like. 😁

Now I just need a Monroe "how they built it" video, and many more details on V2X and of course BOAT MODE!
I doubt there is a boat mode. I have seen this video and the top gear video and somewhere Franz and an engineer mentioned that the rear SS panels contributed ~25% to the torsional rigidity. I had guessed 10% because, with the exception of the doors the SS trim and front fenders are attached with clips and the rear bed/sail panels appears to be bolted on.
However, the Tesla presentation yesterday was weak, dark and depressing as recent Tesla presentations have been trending. However the impartial reviews are glowing and quite positive.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Yes, this is the rear camera view on the display when the tonneau cover is closed.

GARbZQxWQAAHLrQ.jpeg
And...apparently you can move it to the right side of the screen to get a slightly larger view of it. I guess there will be an option to spray it with fluid to keep it visible in rainy/muddy/snowy conditions (?).

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I feel like a lot of people were disappointed yesterday because they went from having a dream for 4 years that they built up in their heads, to having something be real. Having said that, it seems like today people are back to being excited by the videos and news coming out.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Never seen his vids before but that guy's awesome

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I feel like a lot of people were disappointed yesterday because they went from having a dream for 4 years that they built up in their heads, to having something be real. Having said that, it seems like today people are back to being excited by the videos and news coming out.
I'm still disappointed.

I still love the truck though. Price can't change that. It can just change whether I can get it or not. And the jury is still out on that

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Per this review, in my opinion, the Cybertruck (even the non-Beast) is too much super-car sport-truck, not enough grocery-getter, kid hauler, weekend toy hauler for the masses.

Not needed for grocery-getting, kid hauling, weekend toy hauling:
1G 2.6 0-60.
Insane stiffness
Ground clearance.
Adjustable suspension
Variable steering ratio / steer by wire /rear steer (unless its cheaper somehow than conventional steering).
Bullet-proof exterior steel skins (to the extent not needed for crash protection).
20" wheels.

Too much emphasis on aerodynamics and/or styling. Efficiency and styling are good, but can go too far and cut into daily usability:

No direct rear visibility (watch out for refrigerators and shopping carts).
Tiny mirrors. No rear view mirror.
No direct rear-quarter visibility (take care changing lanes).
Low roof in 2nd row.
Stainless is going to show dirt and fingerprints.
Lack of instrument panel.
Lack of controls outside of touch screen for many frequently-used functions.
Lack of color choices / expense of color choices.

They have addressed many initial concerns on the cargo bed, (I went back and looked at my list from 2019 and they eliminated about half the complaints) but it still has some annoyances
Its still hemmed-in and access-blocked by side sails and kind of narrow
The hatch in the bed is likely less usable storage space and could be annoying for certain loads.
No full-sized spare storage.
Concerns about power cover in snow/ice.
No compatible with existing pickup truck accessories and add-ons.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Not that disingenuous. It went from $70 to $100k, with less range. I guess they could have said there's a 40-50% price increase. I mean the top end got 40% price hike with a 40% cut in range. My percentages are simplified as I don't want to do math this early :D

Yes, the 320 mile top range on the 2024 Cybertruck (without the in-bed batttery extender) is less than the 500mi range of original 2019 Cybertruck tri-motor reveal but there was much higher then anticipated inflation while the Cybertruck did get important improvements:

steer by wire (SbW) with no mechanical backup link (1st mass production with no mechanical backup?)

Variable steering ratio

rear wheel steering (RwS) (smaller turn circle and better towing stability)

48-volt base electrical system

800-volt high voltage battery system

faster acceleration

powered frunk lid

LCD display in rear passenger area

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ditto, this guy was a really easy pleasure to watch, nice quips dispersed with titbits of information and balanced reporting. Some outstanding operators out there, but he is #1.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You have to realize these folks given access to vehicles to do "analysis" on the vehicles are trying not to say anything bad, and promote the vehicles. Otherwise they don't get access.

BTW, I like Hagerty and the way they put up good entertaining videos. But, one thing that really hit on a bad note with me, was his comment that we plunked down deposits based solely on how it looked. WRONG!
1701472133658.png

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Yes, the 320 mile top range on the 2024 Cybertruck (without the in-bed batttery extender) is less than the 500mi range of original 2019 Cybertruck tri-motor reveal but there was much higher then anticipated inflation while the Cybertruck did get important improvements:

steer by wire (SbW) with no mechanical backup link (1st mass production with no mechanical backup?)

Variable steering ratio

rear wheel steering (RwS) (smaller turn circle and better towing stability)

48-volt base electrical system

800-volt high voltage battery system

faster acceleration

powered frunk lid

LCD display in rear passenger area
Steer by wire with no mechanical backup is absolutely not an improvement. The jury is still out on whether variable steering is an improvement too. Top Gear mentioned not getting used to it even after 2 days. Really the only reviewer I really trust these days is Teslabjorn. He doesn’t suck up to the manufacturers. Downside is he doesn’t get invited to all the launches ;)

But with the above, the massive price hike and apparently no plan at all to bring it to Europe, I’m starting to find the Recon (or the Wrangler BEV when that comes), and the Jimny EV more interesting. I actually just ordered an EV and after a long internal debate it wasn’t the new Highland. I’m just a bit tired of some of the silly stuff around Tesla: the computerised and distracting user interface (no stalks, buttons), the many automatic things that don’t work (and people seriously expect to have their Cybertruck drive them while they sleep in the back?), the expensive repairs … And now the dreadful delivery event (which to me just felt like there was little care for the public) and the way this saga played out with 60% price hikes. Hell, even the F150 is starting to sound more interesting, especially if Ford sticks to the plan of bringing it to Europe.
Sponsored