Jordan Giesige calls the Cybertruck a 'Sarlacc Pit' for battery production.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I don't understand where the 3x figure is coming from. The CT is expected to weigh 7000lbs at most, the model X weighs ~5600 and only uses a slightly larger pack than the standard range model Y.

I mean, if the curve holds we can extrapolate a little vit, but I'm way too tired to do the math.

We also don't know what effect the new 4680 battery chemistry will have at the end of the day.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't understand where the 3x figure is coming from.
Range, mostly. The Cybertruck is doing some intensely neat things to be so much lighter. The Model X does not have megacastings, simpler doors, exoskeleton, or an integrated battery-as-structural element. Each of these saves weight.

We also don't know what effect the new 4680 battery chemistry will have at the end of the day.
We don't, but that's what this series is about. Tesla said they were doing a hundred little things.

Some are simple: A bigger battery wastes less space on the casing and dead weight in each battery (volume increases faster than surface). The sheer layout of the batteries will squish more in, too! Some are coincidental: the tabless design lets the cell layers operate more efficiently. It also lets them cool the battery from the edge, which means it spends less time outside optimal temperatures.

Then you get into the technical... the crystalline structure of the anode and cathode. The right order and mixing to make the exact right size nano particles. The perfect mix of silicon, aluminum, and nickel to remove the need for cobalt.

And then some are just highly second-layer: The dry battery process and using simpler ingredients means the factory footprint is more compact. Which means more machines fit under the roof. It no longer needs big water reclamation, so no water needs to be piped in massive amounts. And even the conveyors: currently, they have the 2170 machines working as fast as technically possible to move the cells around the factory. But since the 4680 cells are larger, the same machines can move 4x as many gigawatts of batteries!

So many things. The series is well worth it as he explores each branch.

-Crissa