Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
the model/year that doesnt have full-truck sized truck bucket seats, and looks something like this:

ata%2f9%2f8%2f5%2f7%2f0%2f4%2fwebimg%2f282007204_o.jpg
NO cup holders. And the shifter is right in the middle. Which works great because I have 4 kids and the one sitting in the middle gets to shift. :). The point is that its not complicated to have a center console seat. And it was presented as having 6 seats. I need 6 seats as well as many others. It would seem odd that they wouldn't at least offer it.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
How would you plug it in? you'd have to crack the window to run the cable out of it. Non-reflective solar is typically far more expensive and what sort of extreme weather are we talking about that has a copious amount of direct sunlight?

It's funny how large the dash is, but putting solar panels on it is probably not feasible.

There's one that I've seen for any Tesla and it covers the front window, roof, and back window and nets between 8-14 miles per day. You're talking about 1/4 of that space.

Seems like a waste of money.
I have a solar panel on the dash of my truck right now to act as a trickle charger. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. My truck sits for a couple weeks sometimes and I have had battery issues but i no longer do with the trickle charger. They sell them all over amazon. Obviously with the CT we would want a cleaner more integrated solution.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
I have a solar panel on the dash of my truck right now to act as a trickle charger. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. My truck sits for a couple weeks sometimes and I have had battery issues but i no longer do with the trickle charger. They sell them all over amazon. Obviously with the CT we would want a cleaner more integrated solution.
Why is that obvious? You can't do that with a tesla currently. They plug into the charging port.

Then, what's the purpose? So you can run the AC all day and not loose too much battery? Why would you put it on the dash? Why not drape a larger one on top of the car?

It sounds extremely impractical.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
NO cup holders. And the shifter is right in the middle. Which works great because I have 4 kids and the one sitting in the middle gets to shift. :). The point is that its not complicated to have a center console seat. And it was presented as having 6 seats. I need 6 seats as well as many others. It would seem odd that they wouldn't at least offer it.
Those are the seats i have and i bet they will outlast the CT seats by a factor of 2 or 3. Almost 20 years old and they still look great. a previous owner burnt a hole in one but its a work truck so it is what it is.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Why is that obvious? You can't do that with a tesla currently. They plug into the charging port.

Then, what's the purpose? So you can run the AC all day and not loose too much battery? Why would you put it on the dash? Why not drape a larger one on top of the car?

It sounds extremely impractical.
The dash is the best place to have an integral panel. not something you have to manually drape over the car. And i knew from the start that the tonneau cover wouldnt have solar. to many moving parts.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
The dash is the best place to have an integral panel. not something you have to manually drape over the car. And i knew from the start that the tonneau cover wouldnt have solar. to many moving parts.
So you are hoping that Tesla integrates this? I thought this was a third-party option, but again, why?

What is the use case that someone would need this? Why not put some solar panels with a Tesla charging cable in the bed? If you are camping, you can plug it up. What is the scenario that would warrant demand on integrating a dashboard solar panel into a Tesla?

And obviously the bed of the truck is the best place for an integrated panel, by far as it it's larger.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Exactly! That's what I'm saying. I have to look further away from the road to look down into an instrument binnacle than to simply look at the upper right corner of the center screen to check my speed. The top of the screen in my Model 3's are above the location the instrument binnacles would normally reside, putting them more in-line with my view of the road. Better safety than having to take my eyes off the road to look down below the top rim of the steering wheel.

Looking down into a hole hiding behind a moving steering wheel may have worked with skinny, large diameter steering wheels of yesteryear without airbags mounted in the wheel's center, but it's utterly ridiculous with the smaller diameter steering wheels with thicker rims and airbag covers of a modern steering wheel. Turn the wheel and you can't see any of the instruments.
So you guys both out on buying? Just curious, because I want to move up in line haha. I know it’s disappointing and not what you were hoping

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
but be clear about one thing: it was *not* presented as having *that* kind of 6th seat

those around here disappointed in the lack of 6th *real* seat will not all be satisfied if it has a ranger-like jump seat under a ranger-like console

this is to say nothing of the issue raised a million times regarding the now-applicable regulations around airbags for front passengers, which I take it your Ranger is old enough to have not been subject to. which to the extent part of the motivation, wouldn't make it at all 'odd' to not at least offer it.

personally? i dont care much about that 6th front seat even if full sized, nor would i purchase a ranger-like front jump seat option if it were available.

Instead, im more interested in the width and size of that CT front console as being indirect evidence of the possibility of the width of the CT interior, and so the width of the rear seat - which rear seat WILL have either a full middle seat, or instead an anemic middle seat. That the CT may have the latter, is not out of the realm of possibility given the size and character of the front console.

PS: people viewing the fact that the CT front console doesn't attach to the dash as a reason to hope that's due to anticipating the legs/feet of a middle front occupant are being unreasonable. Not only is that not room for anything more than a ranger-like jump seat, it's obvious that no attaching console is necessary in a vehicle with no transmission, and would run counter to Tesla's minimalist design approach.

or are people seriously trying to suggest that this exact same design feature in the early Model S was there as a "foot rest" and because Tesla wanted an option for a 3rd front seat in the Model S?

Tesla Cybertruck Leaked interior Cybertruck photo! nexusae0_Tesla-Model-S-interior

Cybertruck Interior Seats steering wheel.jpeg

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
but be clear about one thing: it was *not* presented as having *that* kind of 6th seat

those around here disappointed in the lack of 6th *real* seat will not all be satisfied if it has a ranger-like jump seat under a ranger-like console

this is to say nothing of the issue raised a million times regarding the now-applicable regulations around airbags for front passengers, which I take it your Ranger is old enough to have not been subject to. which to the extent part of the motivation, wouldn't make it at all 'odd' to not at least offer it.

personally? i dont care much about that 6th front seat even if full sized, nor would i purchase a ranger-like front jump seat option if it were available.

Instead, im more interested in the width and size of that CT front console as being indirect evidence of the possibility of the width of the CT interior, and so the width of the rear seat - which rear seat WILL have either a full middle seat, or instead an anemic middle seat. That the CT may have the latter, is not out of the realm of possibility given the size and character of the front console.

PS: people viewing the fact that the CT front console doesn't attach to the dash as a reason to hope that's due to anticipating the legs/feet of a middle front occupant are being unreasonable. Not only is that not room for anything more than a ranger-like jump seat, it's obvious that no attaching console is necessary in a vehicle with no transmission, and would run counter to Tesla's minimalist design approach.

or are people seriously trying to suggest that this exact same design feature in the early Model S was there as a "foot rest" and because Tesla wanted an option for a 3rd front seat in the Model S?

nexusae0_Tesla-Model-S-interior.jpg

Cybertruck Interior Seats steering wheel.jpeg
I think most people interested in a 6th seat are probably not thinking 6 adults and would be completely happy with a fold up console. I cant recall the last time i drove with 6 adults but i very frequently drive with 6 kids. even a family of 4 with a relative of kids friends could easily hit 6 seats. There are not a lot of 6+ seat vehicles out there in the EV world right now. And the CT is checking a lot of boxes for me. I work for one of the worlds largest contractors. I have a family of 6 and I do a crazy amount of DIY stuff. I currently have 3 vehicles and the CT with 6 seats would allow me to consolidate all of them to one vehicle.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think most people interested in a 6th seat are probably not thinking 6 adults and would be completely happy with a fold up console. I cant recall the last time i drove with 6 adults but i very frequently drive with 6 kids. even a family of 4 with a relative of kids friends could easily hit 6 seats. There are not a lot of 6+ seat vehicles out there in the EV world right now. And the CT is checking a lot of boxes for me. I work for one of the worlds largest contractors. I have a family of 6 and I do a crazy amount of DIY stuff. I currently have 3 vehicles and the CT with 6 seats would allow me to consolidate all of them to one vehicle.
certainly wasn't suggesting that there wont be individuals such as yourself.

and meanwhile, I would bet that one of the two new Tesla models to be revealed soon (?) will be a van on a platform that doubles for both retail and fleet

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
certainly wasn't suggesting that there wont be individuals such as yourself.

and meanwhile, I would bet that one of the two new Tesla models to be revealed soon (?) will be a van on a platform that doubles for both retail and fleet
Thanks for clarifying. I want a BAT my wife can keep her minivan.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I understand there are some very seasoned truck guys/gals on here, and there are concerns about visibility and stalks, and whatnot, which I get, but writing off the truck seems a bit knee jerk. I drive huge fire engines and fire trucks in a major metro for a living and I am not concerned about CT visibility and safety. I think that is overblown and shows a lack of of adaptability (which I think most of you long time truck owners actually have) but like most firefighters, they hate/are skeptical of change until it proves to be valid and much better… I think this truck will be the best on the market for a huge amount of people, but there are some that need a type of truck that CT just isn’t, and that’s ok

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying.
since we're gabbing, I'll mention that you and I actually have closely related interests/concerns RE the seat space

While I only have 3 kids, they're all under the age of 5, the newest being 3 months old.

So I have YEARS of full-sized car seats ahead of me.

If the CT cant fit 3 full-sized carseats across the back row, it'll be a problem

... giving my wife the Lightning that can fit 3 full-sized car seats in the back row :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored