Let's be honest - who disliked and/or was repulsed by the Cybertruck when they first saw it?

DrShah

First Name
Samir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
When I first saw the CT I was horrified, however after researching Teslas I eventually realized it was easily the best deal for my needs. I have Never owned an EV, never ever considered a pickup truck. As a surgeon who drives sometimes 4-6 hospitals on call and about 100 miles a day I totally wanted to make the jump to an EV. Most of my partners have a Tesla, I test drove the S and was impressed but I wanted something bigger. I took a spin in my partners Model 3 and other partners Model Y Performance and was also impressed but I wanted something much bigger (I currently drive a Honda Pilot). I really wanted a SUV but wasn’t a big fan of the X. I really wanted a Tesla with much longer range, ample room for cargo (plan on doing alot of family road trips since we live in south Florida) and wanted enough room even with 2 car seats(have young kids). Cybertruck for me provides the best bang for your buck in terms of range, cargo space and performance at the $70k price point and therefore I reserved the Tri Motor.
Sponsored

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Sorry...I digress, but what!!?

...and could be charged from our 72 panel solar system.
You could charge a fleet of CTs. Is this at your house or at your company? That's a ton of panels for a home.

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
For me it was love at first site

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
I'll proudly raise my hand that I, like many, thought it was a joke when it first rolled on stage during the live reveal. Didn't like it much at all at first...and honestly can say I thought it looked like dog$hit...but it grew on me throughout the event.

Now I can say that in addition to it growing on me each and every time I see a picture or video, I'm super glad I did my preorder the moment the preorder address flashed on the screen.
For about 30 seconds I was shocked, then saw why the thing is shaped like that, and I really don't give a crap about how a work vehicle looks. The C.T. will last, and have tremendous value.

CybertruckCovers

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cybertruckcovers.com
Vehicles
Foundation Series CyberBeast (Order Confirmed)
Occupation
Cybertruck Parts & Accessories Development
Country flag
When I first watched the online reveal of the Cybertruck that night, my exact thoughts were, "That thing is ugly, but yet so beautiful. I love it!" I pre-ordered right away.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I wasn't repulsed, but it was so different that it felt like my fight-or-flight kicked in and I was really just sort of stunned. That gradually wore off for about 12 hours before I bought in 100% and preordered.

My wife, who is still put off by it, was still surprised that I didn't preorder immediately.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Not at all. I was surprised but not repulsed. Having said that, I'm probably far more utilitarian then most. I don't care what it looks like as long as it works and functions as it should. So I'm all in for good functional design and appearance is a distant second. I really don't mind the way it looks at all. My biggest concern with the design is access into the bed from the sides of the truck.
I'm a contractor and have a similar attitude, utility over looks. I am still unclear about the supposed storage in the sail pillars plus a proper ladder rack is a necessity for me. I did order right away once I saw the price and am glad I did.

CybrTrkOregon

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Like many when it first rolled out I thought it was a joke before they showed us the real thing.
It's grown on me a little but I still think it's a big ugly.
What is strange is how that changes depending on which angle you are viewing it from, some angles it looks awesome, others ugly.

The reasons I ordered my Cybertruck

1) It's electric.
2) The thing is electric
3) I will be able to go just about anywhere I want in it.
4) FSD - and this is why I would never consider any other electric truck.

I am 60 years old, unless I wreck it Cybertruck will last the rest of my life. And I am looking to the time in the future, if I live that long, where I will no longer be a competent driver. Cybertruck with FSD will allow me to retain my independence even if I get to the point where I can't drive as long as I can still climb into it.

The other aspect of FSD that I look forward to is having the ability to go on a thru hike and send Cybertruck ahead to wait for me the trailhead I will finish at.

And if possible, how about dropping the drift boat in the river and sending Cybertruck with the trailer downriver to wait at the takeout landing. So, will FSD be able to handle the trailer and parking with it?

CybrTrkOregon

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Figure $57,000 for CT add $1000 shipping to Miami, Fl plus $3480 state tax (no trade-in) plus $50 miami-dade county tax plus $225 tag and fees = $61,755 (may as well round to $62,000) options to be add at order time!

Please see my go-fund-me site at #I-NEED-CT-CASH-IN-THREE-YEARS ?????????
Why pay a $1000 to ship it, are you just going to park it at your house as decor? Go pick it up in person and drive it home! Get a nice road trip out of the deal. That's what I plan to do from Oregon.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I don't remember tuning in to see the Tesla CT introduction but rather saw a youtube video of the event. I don't recall being shocked or surprised by the design but the $39k price stole nearly all my attention. Even though I have a Ford explorer sporttrac I am not really a "truck guy".
However there was no way the CT could be that inexpensive unless new, lower cost, batteries were going to be used.
I think I thought it was odd/unconventional looking when I showed it to my wife but the conversation went back to the price and I asked my wife if I could buy TSLA because they had secret battery tech (will find out tomorrow?).
Since then I bought more stock and it has been a stellar investment.
This spring I thought about maybe buying a CT and asked my wife again and she was irked that I didn't do my reservation last year.
I plan to use rooftop solar to charge my CT and plan to use it as an retirement vehicle. Normally I would never consider a gas guzzler as a retirement vehicle but the CT fills in all requirements of size, occasional traveling, utility, egress (it is hard to get in low lying cars when old), low cost of ownership, and FSD when my driving skills fade.

Zombie

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Triumph Rocket 3R; BMW R1250GSA; BMW M2C; Tesla Tri-Motor CT
Occupation
Winning
Country flag
I thought it was a hideous joke on the night and immediately put my gold card away. I was so angry and upset I even made a video and posted it on YouTube. And then the granular details started to seep through. Eventually I got over myself and ordered a FSD try-motor :) No doubt I slipped down the delivery list a great deal. But I was actually pleased about that. Y'all can be beta testers for me;)

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I don't remember tuning in to see the Tesla CT introduction but rather saw a youtube video of the event. I don't recall being shocked or surprised by the design but the $39k price stole nearly all my attention. Even though I have a Ford explorer sporttrac I am not really a "truck guy".
However there was no way the CT could be that inexpensive unless new, lower cost, batteries were going to be used.
I think I thought it was odd/unconventional looking when I showed it to my wife but the conversation went back to the price and I asked my wife if I could buy TSLA because they had secret battery tech (will find out tomorrow?).
Since then I bought more stock and it has been a stellar investment.
This spring I thought about maybe buying a CT and asked my wife again and she was irked that I didn't do my reservation last year.
I plan to use rooftop solar to charge my CT and plan to use it as an retirement vehicle. Normally I would never consider a gas guzzler as a retirement vehicle but the CT fills in all requirements of size, occasional traveling, utility, egress (it is hard to get in low lying cars when old), low cost of ownership, and FSD when my driving skills fade.

Lack of paint and exoskeleton design over body on frame makes a huge difference. Until recently I had no idea how expensive and what goes into a paint dept for a car company
Sponsored