egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Like every other truck? Do you hear yourself? :)

Almost nothing about the CT is like any other truck - I like it like that.

On a more serious note, I see what you're saying, but I think it would mess with aerodynamics a bit. Even on the 3/Y the wipers tuck down as far out of the airstream as possible. Tesla takes every bit of efficiency they can.
Sponsored

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Where's the fun in that?! BAT deserves BAW!

There appears to be less hood/bonnet space, it's more complicated, a two-wiper setup likely wouldn't reach the auto-pilot camera, and Tesla seems to want a cleaner line, to name a few reasons.

Could probably lay the BAW sideways and do something similar, but then you have the other problems mentioned above and elsewhere in this thread.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I don't mind the He-Man wiper blade. In fact, its growing on me and I think it adds to the overall aesthetic. If they made it a wimpy slender blade I'd be offended.
Agreed. I think they slightly redesigned the arm to kinda have a little more of the angular profile of the truck itself. The first version looked too rounded and bubbly. It wasn't the largeness of it that was offending, it was the clash of aesthetics.

Now that they seem to have engineered it in its appropriate place with mounting through the window pane, they were able to design the structure itself as it relates to its final mounting location. Kinda hard and a waste of design man hours to make a fully polished design of the "look" of an arm when you are still iterating rough ideas on mounting/placement/functionality which the first version we all saw was clearly a rough placement and functionality idea given the wiring was all taped to the exterior of the truck.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Seeing as how the BAW was the only concept I saw on display at the Cyber Rodeo, I think we need to send Elon some wiper ideas. It's a shot in the dark that he'll see it, but all employees can email Elon directly. If anyone has a good video or a well thought out engineering blueprint for their wiper design, I can try emailing it to him. It would be completely pro-bono, but you'd be making a direct effect on the truck you are planning to buy. It's either that, or the BAW. Hopefully, they'll find this thread. Post a video of your 3D model.

Here is mine, ignore all the DIY in the background, that was my cheeky attempt at a design studio promotion, haha. It's not ready to be scrutinized yet, mostly just vault layouts. Mine is an Maglev squeegee that houses all the electronics under the gaps at both edges of the windshield.

That but instead of moving side to side make it move up and down. The magnetic "rails" would be on the edges where the black bands on the glass are located. It would rest at the top (above the light bar) and the wiper could have a slotted gap shaped in such a way as to redirect airflow to reduce air separation, and hence drag, at the peak.

Attachments

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
This.

Tesla Cybertruck Let's come up with an alternative Beautiful Awesome Wiper for Elon tumblr_mhdkorVG3H1qibhi9o5_250

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That wouldn't work. You can't shoot a gun through the windshield.šŸ˜ƒ
Well you could, but it would take more than a little laser swipe to deal with the resulting visibility issues.

robk444

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
My only thought would be to have 2 wipers and have the pivot point be on the metal part on either side of the glass. It would require either having a hole in the glass with a gasket or wrapping the SS on top to contain the motor and bearing.
When not used the position would be inline with the pillar just like the BAW. One of the things about any windshield wiper is that it's always covering areas that you don't need to be cleared. No matter where you mount it it seems like there's a ton of space where the wiper clears that you don't look through that part.
Tesla Cybertruck Let's come up with an alternative Beautiful Awesome Wiper for Elon 1650046795543

Tesla Cybertruck Let's come up with an alternative Beautiful Awesome Wiper for Elon 1650046797188

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
It was inexcusable in the industrial design phase a few years ago to not include wipers as a design requirement. I am glad they at least included wheels.
There is nothing wrong with BAW as is but it really looks like tape on a nerd's glasses.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There is nothing wrong with BAW as is but it really looks like tape on a nerd's glasses.
You do know who Elon is right?

I meanā€¦ seriously. He has a meeting with a cabinet member who has Bidens ear and he takes the meeting like this.

Tesla Cybertruck Let's come up with an alternative Beautiful Awesome Wiper for Elon 1650076508563

Hair is WTF.

Jacket is funky as hell.

One boot untucked.

If yaā€™ll are thinking this truck is being designed by the captain of the high school football team you are smoking crack. Musk is the king of nerds. Heā€™s building a truck worthy of the king of nerds and doesnā€™t give AF what people think. Itā€™s a battle tank for a nerd king.