Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The electrical double layer capacitor (EDLC) — most often called a “supercapacitor” and sometimes an “ultracapacitor” — is an amazing passive energy-storage component. As a result of its high capacitance of multiple farads and small size, it provides high-density energy storage by both volume and weight. In some remote sensing, IoT, and energy harvesting-sourced applications, supercaps are an alternative to rechargeable batteries; in other situations, they are used in conjunction with batteries to overcome some of the weaknesses of those electrochemical-based energy-storage components. It’s not that one is inherently better than the other; instead, supercaps and rechargeable batteries (regardless of chemistry) each have their relative strengths and weaknesses. The priorities of the application determine which one makes the most sense, or both are needed in some sort of tandem arrangement.

There is another interesting alternative to choosing just one or even both as two discrete components: the hybrid supercapacitor. This energy-storage device is not just an obvious co-packaging of a rechargeable battery and a supercap. Instead, it uses a unique construction in which the single assembly is both a supercap and a Li-ion battery at the same time, Figure 1 (see References for more details).

Tesla Cybertruck Looking at Hybrid Supercapacitors {filename}

Fig 1: This top-tier view of the structure of the hybrid supercapacitor shows it is not a supercap and a battery sharing a single two-terminal package. (Image source: Taiyo Yuden)

Among the vendors of these hybrid supercaps are Taiyo Yuden (the company calls them lithium-ion supercapacitors, which is technically quite correct), Eaton, and Maxwell Technologies, Inc. (now part of Tesla).

There are many posted tables providing comparisons between standard supercaps and lithium-ion rechargeable batteries (table 1). Keep in mind that each resource and vendor has a different perspective, as you would expect, and the technology itself is evolving at a rapid rate.

Table 1: This compares the top-tier characteristics of supercapacitors versus lithium-ion rechargeable batteries; each may have a different set of entries depending on the information source and timing. (Image source:
Maxwell Technologies, Inc., via Battery University)

Despite the apparent virtues of these hybrid supercaps, I’ve always had mixed feelings about hybrid devices and structures in general. On one hand, the combining of two technologies or materials often allows us to retain the best aspects of each while overcoming some weaknesses. This does not apply just to electronics: think of concrete reinforced with bars, or the carbon-fiber-reinforced polymers (CFRP) used as the skin of the latest generation of aircraft bodies and appendages.

At the same time, these combinations sometimes have new shortcomings. For example, multifunction test equipment may have reduced specifications or some flexibility limits compared to single-purpose, optimized units. The widely known “Swiss Army knife” is a non-electrical example: each of its individual tools may be “OK enough” yet is definitely not as good as a dedicated tool; nonetheless, the overall blade/accessory combination and packaging brings benefits in size, weight, and cost.

For hybrid supercaps, there’s also a management issue. Li-ion rechargeable batteries have their specific needs with respect to oversight of charge and discharge rates, coulomb counting, and temperature (to cite a few factors) — and supercaps have their own comparable list. So, how is the hybrid supercap to be managed? Will the tactics be in conflict, or are they similar enough that a single approach can work for the two-terminal hybrid?

I think about the tunnel diode: despite its attractive performance characteristics, as a two terminal-device without distinct input-output-ground connections it was fairly difficult to actually use and so fell into disfavor; the same holds true for the PIN diode (just look at some of its application-circuit schematics). Perhaps ICs such as the recently introduced Maxim MAX38889, a 2.5V to 5.5V, 3A reversible buck/boost regulator optimized for supercap backup applications, work well enough for both? (Figure 2.)

Fig 2: The MAX38889 specifically targets supercapacitor management; there may also be a battery in the circuit. (Image source:
Maxim Integrated Products)

Deciding whether to use a hybrid solution for a given problem often involves weighing hard-to-assess tradeoffs. In addition to the obvious advantages where each constituent overcomes one or more shorting of the other, there are also many cases where new weaknesses are introduced.

Does it make sense to use the supercap hybrid? The answer is simple: it depends. In some cases, a new shortcoming is unacceptable in the application, while in others, the new benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Quantitatively, the model must not only solve the equation “is 1 +1 <, =, or > 2?” but must also assess any gaps the solution creates as well.

What has been your experience with hybrid — combined or merged — solutions (and not just hybrid supercaps)? Was the overall gain more important than any added downside? How do you make the judgment on the balance between the advantages versus disadvantages of the hybrid approach?

References
Eaton, “Hybrid supercapacitors explained

Eaton, “HS Hybrid supercapacitor white paper

Battery University, “BU-209: How does a Supercapacitor Work?

Taiyo Yuden, “Lithium Ion Capacitors: The Ultimate EDLC Replacement

Taiyo Yuden, “Power Storage Devices: Lithium Ion Capacitors; Electric Double-Layer Capacitors

Tech Briefs, “Supercapacitors Go Hybrid for Increased Performance and Efficiency

Bill Schweber

Bill Schweber is an electronics engineer who has written three textbooks on electronic communications systems, as well as hundreds of technical articles, opinion columns, and product features. In past roles, he worked as a technical website manager for multiple EE Times sites and as both Executive Editor and Analog Editor at EDN. At Analog Devices, he was in marketing communications; as a result, he has been on both sides of the technical PR function, presenting company products, stories, and messages to the media and also as the recipient of these. Prior to the marcom role at Analog, Bill was Associate Editor of its respected technical journal, and also worked in its product marketing and applications engineering groups. Before those roles, he was at Instron Corp., doing hands-on analog- and power-circuit design and systems integration for materials-testing machine controls. He has a BSEE from Columbia University and an MSEE from the University of Massachusetts, is a Registered Professional Engineer, and holds an Advanced Class amateur radio license. He has also planned, written, and presented online courses on a variety of engineering topics, including MOSFET basics, ADC selection, and driving LEDs.

SOURCE: EE TIMES
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hrm, he skips the biggest problem in using supercaps in an application: Their voltage curve. The reason they hold very few Wh/kg is because they basically store voltage instead of amperage like in a battery. Trying to use them as a battery means trying to figure out how to convert the momentary amperage into voltage and back. (Hence using the inefficient buck converter).

Theoretically it's useful, but so far in practice it's a massive pain and source of weight and heat.

-Crissa

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Capacitors are usually used for frequency oscillation and control, which is why they are common in filters. Old school frequency modulation was just a bunch of capacitors being switched by contactors. They didnt store or generate current, really, just modified the waveform passing through their part of the circuit.

Inductors, on the other hand, are a different story. No one talks about super inductors tho.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The reason that Super Capacitors will never have a place in Tesla vehicles (to paraphrase Elon Musk) is revealed in the article: the specific energy. The caps can store 5 Wh/kg. The TM CT will have around a 200 kWh battery. That's 200,000Wh. That implies that 40,000 kg of super caps would be needed. 800 - 1600 kg of Li battery is bad enough!

Capacitors are usually used for frequency oscillation and control, which is why they are common in filters.
Capacitors and inductors are both energy storage devices. As such they allow current to flow at right angles to the voltages involved.

Old school frequency modulation was just a bunch of capacitors being switched by contactors.
I just have to know where you came up with that idea!

Armstrong's original design used amplitude modulation of a 90° phase shifted copy of the carrier which was recombined with the carrier to produce a phase (and hence frequency modulated) signal. Now I can think of a system where capacitors where capacitors were switched by "contactors" into and out of the tuned circuit of a transmitter and that is in Hedy Lamar's patent for frequency hopping. Maybe that's where you got this notion.

Later implementations of FM used "reactance tubes" in which a capacitor is connected into a tuned circuit through a vacuum tube whose impedance is controlled by the modulation, phasetrons (or "fuzzytrons" as some called them), serrasoidal modulaors (PPM) and most recently, of course, by clocking a ROM with a stored sinusoid in it in varying address increments. Most popular these days used in all the bubble pack radios is using the capacitance of a reverse biased diode to mistune a circuit.

They didnt store or generate current, really, just modified the waveform passing through their part of the circuit.
Yes, they really did. They store energy during one half cycle and the release the stored energy on the next. That's how they work.

Inductors, on the other hand, are a different story. No one talks about super inductors tho.
They are just the duals of capacitors. IOW current lags voltage when flowing in an inductors and leads it when flowing through a capacitor. Both are used as energy stores. The inductor, for example, in the DC/DC converters in our cars.

Where Super Caps are most often used is as a backup battery in equipment that doesn't need much current to keep it alive.

Where super inductors are used are in applications where high magnetic fields are wanted such as maglev trains, MRI machines...

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Super capacitors could be useful in ABS/regen systems, capable of absorbing large shocks of power that the battery can only absorb so quickly. The same is true the other way, too: they could relieve power band reductions as the motor demands spikes of energy, such as during rock-crawling or ahead of acceleration.

Elon was only saying that supercapacitors could not replace batteries.

-Crissa

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Hur hur I’m the smartest person on this forum

I can go to any number of old machines where I work and take pictures of capacitors used for frequency modulation (with the associated contactors) but unfortunately my company has a policy where I cannot share said pictures. Even though these machines are from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

You are extremely pedantic and it is not a very good look for you. Yes, where there is voltage, and a path from a higher potential to a lower potential, there will be current. However, capacitors still suck ass as a current source. Thus why their wh/kg is so low.

Jesus dude.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I can go to any number of old machines where I work and take pictures of capacitors used for frequency modulation (with the associated contactors) but unfortunately my company has a policy where I cannot share said pictures. Even though these machines are from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
I'd love to see the pictures of course but I am really more interested in learning what these machines do i.e. what it is that the frequency of is being modulated and for what purpose? What is the nature of the modulating signal? Obviously it is discreet and of very low bandwidth. What intelligence is the modulating signal conveying?

Anyway, the most important point is that old school frequency modulation was not done by capacitors switched by contactors. It was done using the techniques I described in my previous post. I won't deny that there could have been applications that did vary the frequency of an oscillator by switching caps in and out mechanically. Heddy's machine was one and if there are others I'd like to know about them. BTW her invention switched the caps in and out via a piano roll. And this wasn't what modulated the carrier. It was done to get the modulated (by other means) carrier frequency to hop around so it couldn't be intercepted or jammed.

You are extremely pedantic..
Yes. My goal is to teach people who don't know anything about these techologies something about them. But it doesn't work if the people aren't interested in learning.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Just thought of a place where Super Caps are often used in cars. The "cool" dudes that ride around with their back seats full of woofers and their windows down often use them so the car doesn't stall when one of those ooomps is emitted. I understand that hundreds of amps are drawn but only for ms.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Thought of another application where capacitors would be switched into and out of a circuit (in this case the grid) by contactors and that's where the utility or a large industrial facility switches them in and out to control power factor. They may be handling hundreds or thousands of kVARs in this application. But its not frequency modulation. Still waiting to hear about the switched capacitor FM machines.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The FM machines?
Sponsored