Major mistake not including charge cables with all new vehicles!

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
It's official... I'm crazy. I don't even own a Tesla and I have a 14-50V converter plug for no reason other than me being me.

I've already got my wall charging plan mapped out and will call my electrician the day they make a hard announcement for the CT release date. That way I'm 100% certain where the vehicle's charging port will be and if they're making a more powerful wall charger option. Then a little while after that, before my CT arrives, I'm gutting my garage and redoing the storage setup and layout.

You don't bring the baby home then set up the crib.

Not to sound like a Tesla apologist buy if you price any BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes they come with virtually nothing. Every option and extra gets tacked on to the point where a moderately spec'd $60k model jumps by 25% in price once you add on the dumb stuff they don't include.

You're essentially adding 2% to the price of your car to have a gas station in your house plus a mobile solution. Every day you come home and plug it in and it's full in the morning. C'mon, seems like a value any way you slice it. Tesla makes +1M cars a year so getting a free mobile connector wasn't going to stay free forever.
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Not including a charger for you EV is just insane, unless you are pushing for fast charging use as normal charging.

making the consumer pay another couple hundred is simply not ok, imo. not every1 has a house they will set up charging, or even understand it.
EV adoption needs to be a simple as possible, a j1772 with a 120v plug is cheap and will probably work for 70%+(just guessing on that %) of users daily commute

other than Tesla saving costs per car. I dont see why they would do this.

but of course we dont know the real story, maybe it will be offered with the cars if you so choose.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Literally if you leave an EV battery empty over night or over a week, the battery is deadeaddead.

The Level 1 charger is the EV's spare tire and magic trick.
  • Gotta store the car for a long time on short notice?
  • Is there a natural disaster?
  • ...or winter storm?
  • End up somewhere the charging infrastructure is damaged?
  • ...or limited in power?
Camp mode and the wall connector have saved peoples' lives in winter storms; they can plug in and park and wait the days while there's insufficient motel rooms or plowing.

This is something that should just be a standard on al EVs. Extra fees are a bullshit path.

-Crissa

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Finally had an electrician add an outlet to the other side of the garage so we could both plug in at the same time (and also not have to worry about driving over the cable).

Tactical error: "You want to go 6 gauge to future proof for 50 amps?" Me: "Sure!"... .completely forgetting that the cost of copper is way up right now....

But I digress....

Had been planning to get the Tesla wall connecter, after learning that there IS a J-1772 adapter for a non-tesla car if ever needed..... then I realized "I have this thing in the frunk that never gets used"....

$30 for the wall hanging brackets IIRC.

Tesla Cybertruck Major mistake not including charge cables with all new vehicles! IMG_2802.JPG

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It's official... I'm crazy. I don't even own a Tesla and I have a 14-50V converter plug for no reason other than me being me.

I've already got my wall charging plan mapped out and will call my electrician the day they make a hard announcement for the CT release date. That way I'm 100% certain where the vehicle's charging port will be and if they're making a more powerful wall charger option. Then a little while after that, before my CT arrives, I'm gutting my garage and redoing the storage setup and layout.

You don't bring the baby home then set up the crib.

Not to sound like a Tesla apologist buy if you price any BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes they come with virtually nothing. Every option and extra gets tacked on to the point where a moderately spec'd $60k model jumps by 25% in price once you add on the dumb stuff they don't include.

You're essentially adding 2% to the price of your car to have a gas station in your house plus a mobile solution. Every day you come home and plug it in and it's full in the morning. C'mon, seems like a value any way you slice it. Tesla makes +1M cars a year so getting a free mobile connector wasn't going to stay free forever.
Good for you, and good planning.

I never thought of the cable as free; I thought of it as necessary equipment, like a tire Jack.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
ok, let’s remove a passenger seat. If you need it - just buy in advance before delivery! Data shows that there is not really usage of this seat. And much less usage of a back seat! Do you see the path?
Eventually we will have 3 of them at home and not need them. Maybe a little in advance, but as far as Apple is concerned they saved hundreds of thousand and saved some space in the landfill to boot.

Still I am ok with it.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Eventually we will have 3 of them at home and not need them. Maybe a little in advance, but as far as Apple is concerned they saved hundreds of thousand and saved some space in the landfill to boot.
Speaking of which.... does anyone have a feel for if these things can wear out? Ie, by using one to charge every night, do we run the risk of it suddenly going bad on a road trip some day?

Thinking specifically about electronics things just tend to "go bad" after awhile.....

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Still I am ok with it.
There's a healthy secondary market of USB/mag chargers. And USB/mag chargers are built into more places than EV charge points.

There's not yet one for Level 1 charge cables. Phones were at saturation when Apple did it, and EVs are still less than 2% of the US fleet. And Apple still reminds you to buy a charger when you buy an iPhone. And they still provide chargers with iPads and MacBooks.

And as I pointed out, it's a safety issue.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Speaking of which.... does anyone have a feel for if these things can wear out? Ie, by using one to charge every night, do we run the risk of it suddenly going bad on a road trip some day?

Thinking specifically about electronics things just tend to "go bad" after awhile.....
Only time I have really seen electronic things just go bad as you say is some type of wear and tear (contacts, or flexing somewhere) faulty connections (partial solder, vibration), or corrosion. with the latter 2 being negated by good design.

so the failure point for a home EV charger would probably be the contacts where it plugs into the car.

Iv never looked at how they are made but i would put a WAG (wild ass guess) of over 7k plugs and unplugs

the thing wearing would be the surfaces and spring tension pushing on these surfaces.

but I also know very little about a lot, as well as the reverse of that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Well, all it's doing is passing a resistance value to the car based upon the type of plug adapter used. There's not much electronics to burn out.

However, cables and connectors physically wear out over time. Tabs become worn, connections loose, and the braided wire brittle and internal strands snapped.

If you find it becoming unreasonably warmer than usual, it's time to recycle it.

-Crissa

Razorman3873

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 honda civic / pre order for cybertruck
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
The CT I believe they said is vehicle to home like the lighting so you can’t use that charger so it’s possible that it’s being redesigned to support V to H and as fast as elon makes changes maybe he is make all models support it. I am already worried i maybe priced out of the CT , i love the things he is adding but all that comes at a price, but if no charger is added that a extra cost on top.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The CT I believe they said is vehicle to home like the lighting so you can’t use that charger so it’s possible that it’s being redesigned to support V to H and as fast as elon makes changes maybe he is make all models support it. I am already worried i maybe priced out of the CT , i love the things he is adding but all that comes at a price, but if no charger is added that a extra cost on top.
The mobile charger would work as a Level 1 cable for the Cybertruck as long as the Cybertruck uses a Tesla connector.

-Crissa

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag

They can eventually stop working if the contractor inside stops working. The contractor is a relay that physically connects power from your outlet to the car's onboard charging module. Since it's electromechanical it's probably the most common wear item. However, they are designed to last many cycles and you shouldn't worry about it.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
THE defining line between automobile or appliance - a power cord.

Are EV’s transport or ubiquitous flying toasters? Divisive its not. No pleas of frugality, Libertarianism or Ayn Rand philosophizing needed.

No one gets a jerry can with every ICE. Likewise, no one must buy a power cord to plug-in a new toaster - flying or not.
but they get a full tank of fuel
Sponsored