Major mistake not including charge cables with all new vehicles!

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The OP is obviously targeting and trying to scare those who are just beginning research, are not as familiar, or have not owned or thoroughly researched Tesla charging yet. The full answers to their crafted sound byte is a no brain-er for most of us.

I have to own (or eat) something here, as I apparently read the original post too quickly and didn't get the main point (I could say it's because I'm very limited on time, have a job and full plate, yada, yada - but that goes for probably most all of us so I'll digress with that). I simply overlooked the main point, reading it too quickly, and had not fathomed the idea Tesla was excluding the UMC bag with each car. I thought the original poster was talking about an accessory adapter cable rather, than the originally included mobile connector which as what the OP was referring to. Possibly because of the OP's wording of charging cable or the picture of the CCS connector in the video thumbnail - but really I should have perceived the point correctly. There is so much FUD pushing out there being attempted, and I guess I was overly expected FUD. For that to the OP I apologize.
Now my thoughts on it specifically are that Tesla possibly has data that shows Mobile Connector charging adapters were not being used extensively by many owners. I'm not sure about that though, because I've seen many videos where users have charged mostly at home using the UMC. Yet a few videos may not be representative of all Tesla owners. I do know that wall connectors are widely used by many owners as well. But, Mobile Connectors are also useful on the road at locations or campgrounds while away from areas with supercharger locations.
Tesla has obviously had to make a business decision, because inflation pressures are at historical record highs putting pressure on Tesla's costs to source or manufacture these Mobile Connector bundles. Tesla did the same thing back in 2019 or around there, with the Homelink garage door opener module, changing it to a separate option purchase instead of being included, after their data showed that a majority of owners were not even using their included one. That was a $300 difference.
I now see the Gen2 Mobile Connector Bundle on Teslas website (currently out of stock) for $275, which comes with one 110VAC adapter. Mine came with maybe one or two more adapters, but those are still on the website for approximately $35 each. I had bought one more NEMA 50 adapter to used in case I needed. So the rough cost overall cost difference for all this at the end of the day is effectively about $350, for what most people might need (just hope Tesla gets some more back in stock). Even if paying $450 for a later bundle, it's not the end of the world. So ultimately, owners need to be mindful (which they already should be when purchasing a car of any type), to get the needed charging accessory ordered (in this case the Mobile Connector Bundle with appropriate adapter if needed).
Honestly I'm mystified that I got a couple 'likes' on this post originally without getting some more clarification or critical feedback instead of having to find it out myself. We are in difficult times. I think Tesla is doing their best to avoid excess costs, and this may be something that was data or usage driven - not totally sure but Tesla has usually had good reasons before.
The rest pertains to road trips and supercharger use with adapters, which I had originally (and mistakenly) thought the focus of the original post was about. Again, my apologies to the OP.

Anyone can be negligent enough to run out of gas, or drive out of charging range if they let themselves get distracted or are that inept to neglect planning their route. But, this is never the manufacturers fault, no matter what any FUD pusher attempts to say.

Tesla with their onscreen charger displays and navigation, has done very well to prevent range anxiety. Sometimes I've thought they could also include a feature via a Software Update, to alert drivers to "points of no supercharger return", if out on a road trip approaching a point with less range than it would take to return or reach a next supercharger. This might be a good idea, just to alert someone if they're getting out of range for a nearest TESLA supercharger.

But, their are also other level 2 charger options, and destination chargers out all over the place too. Of course if an Electrify America charger had only CCS and Chademo connections, and an almost empty SOC Model 3 pulled up without having either adapter, then they would be in a tow-truck summoning situation. So maybe some additional warnings could alert drivers to prevent that. But, TESLA has no way of knowing if drivers intend to charge at a house or hotel either. So it goes. Ultimately it is the driver's responsibility to plan their route.

Good news is the number Tesla superchargers keeps growing everyday. I'm actually interested in a CCS adapter in case I'm in a situation that would ever require it, but I've not been in that situation in the last four years, and again supercharges are becoming more and more available. I'm not sure all cars can automatically use a CCS adapter either, as on the info screen some models show CCS adapter support as No or Not Installed. I think those possibly would require Tesla Service upgrade if not too early of a VIN or in the worst case they'd be an unsupported model.

But, 'the sky is falling' narratives against Tesla will likely be attempted by many as Tesla continues to ramp up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
The OP is obviously targeting and trying to scare those who are just beginning research, are not as familiar, or have not owned or thoroughly researched Tesla charging yet. The full answers to their crafted sound byte is a no brain-er for most of us.

Anyone can be negligent enough to run out of gas, or drive out of charging range if they let themselves get distracted or are that inept to neglect planning their route. But, this is never the manufacturers fault, no matter what any FUD pusher attempts to say.

Tesla with their onscreen charger displays and navigation, has done very well to prevent range anxiety. Sometimes I've thought they could also include a feature via a Software Update, to alert drivers to "points of no supercharger return", if out on a road trip approaching a point with less range than it would take to return or reach a next supercharger. This might be a good idea, just to alert someone if they're getting out of range for a nearest TESLA supercharger.

But, their are also other level 2 charger options, and destination chargers out all over the place too. Of course if an Electrify America charger had only CCS and Chademo connections, and an almost empty SOC Model 3 pulled up without having either adapter, then they would be in a tow-truck summoning situation. So maybe some additional warnings could alert drivers to prevent that. But, TESLA has no way of knowing if drivers intend to charge at a house or hotel either. So it goes. Ultimately it is the driver's responsibility to plan their route.

Good news is the number Tesla superchargers keeps growing everyday. I'm actually interested in a CCS adapter in case I'm in a situation that would ever require it, but I've not been in that situation in the last four years, and again supercharges are becoming more and more available. I'm not sure all cars can automatically use a CCS adapter either, as on the info screen some models show CCS adapter support as No or Not Installed. I think those possibly would require Tesla Service upgrade if not too early of a VIN or in the worst case they'd be an unsupported model.

But, 'the sky is falling' narratives against Tesla will likely be attempted by many as Tesla continues to ramp up.
it is concerning as less populated areas in Canada ( such as the hwy of my town ) don't have several supercharger options en route to home, and there can be hundreds of kilometers between locations, so these other adapters aren't 'optional' and serve much more as emergency or alternate backups to plan a route around. now I have to pay for what I consider to be a necessity where they used to be standard, which yes is BS. c'mon Elon your stats don't reflect the necessity in my situation; maybe they should be standard based on location ??

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This isn't about Superchargers. Even at their greatest extent, they won't always be available.

These are things which have affected my town in the last thirty years which would interrupt grid charging and make it impossible to make it through the passes to charge elsewhere:

1. Earthquake: An earthquake will break down power supplies. While if you're charged, that's fine, but you can't choose when an earthquake strikes. Level 1 charging means you don't care the type of generator.
  2. Bomb Cyclone: Dumb name, but this dumps tens of inches or rain and/or snow on a location. The roads become impassible, trees and lines are knocked down, and even if the flash floods don't get you, the mud will make the passes impassible. This you can plan for, but you can't plan whether your charger will be damaged or you get stuck on the wrong side of a fall.
  3. Red flag weather: This can have the grid deactivated on purpose, but often knocks out power with high winds. And when there's an actual fire... Well, can't predict when and where that'll leave your car. Or how long until (or if) you will get back to your charger plugged into the wall. My Zero was the only vehicle we could reliably recharge during the worst red flag weather!

And as pointed out before, camp mode can be supplemented with Level 1 charging and save people's lives while the motels are full of people waiting the days until they can return home.

It's a safety item. But even if you don't think it is...

It's too soon to be doing this. Apple did it for their iphones, but only after USB charged phones had penetrated over 90% of households, cars and houses were being built with chargers installed, and over 90% of their customers already had one at home.

Barely 2% of American cars are electrified, let alone households with a charge point in them.

Lastly... The road of added fees and options is BS and Tesla was supposed to be better than that.

-Crissa

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
This isn't about Superchargers. Even at their greatest extent, they won't always be available.

These are things which have affected my town in the last thirty years which would interrupt grid charging and make it impossible to make it through the passes to charge elsewhere:

1. Earthquake: An earthquake will break down power supplies. While if you're charged, that's fine, but you can't choose when an earthquake strikes. Level 1 charging means you don't care the type of generator.
  2. Bomb Cyclone: Dumb name, but this dumps tens of inches or rain and/or snow on a location. The roads become impassible, trees and lines are knocked down, and even if the flash floods don't get you, the mud will make the passes impassible. This you can plan for, but you can't plan whether your charger will be damaged or you get stuck on the wrong side of a fall.
  3. Red flag weather: This can have the grid deactivated on purpose, but often knocks out power with high winds. And when there's an actual fire... Well, can't predict when and where that'll leave your car. Or how long until (or if) you will get back to your charger plugged into the wall. My Zero was the only vehicle we could reliably recharge during the worst red flag weather!

And as pointed out before, camp mode can be supplemented with Level 1 charging and save people's lives while the motels are full of people waiting the days until they can return home.

It's a safety item. But even if you don't think it is...

It's too soon to be doing this. Apple did it for their iphones, but only after USB charged phones had penetrated over 90% of households, cars and houses were being built with chargers installed, and over 90% of their customers already had one at home.

Barely 2% of American cars are electrified, let alone households with a charge point in them.

Lastly... The road of added fees and options is BS and Tesla was supposed to be better than that.

-Crissa
agreed....I emailed Tesla and voiced my displeasure. lastly, in my condo, I cannot install a 14-50 line, so that adapter is useless for me at home..... grrrrrrr

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
I don't mind that they took away the mobile charger and make it a separate purchase. There are quite a few people that don't ever use them. I know there are quite a few people that do use them, but with the knowledge up front, you can purchase one if you need or want one. I personally have M3LR on order, scheduled delivery is end of May - end of June right now. When I put in my order, the MC was included and I do plan on using it. I will be reaching out to my sales advisor to find out if I will get what I was promised at the time of order. That is my biggest beef.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
agreed....I emailed Tesla and voiced my displeasure. lastly, in my condo, I cannot install a 14-50 line, so that adapter is useless for me at home..... grrrrrrr
you can use it on any outlet, adapters available separately.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If you cannot install a 50 amp circuit, then there are either electrical infrastructure problems in your area, or somehow it is legally prohibited? Most American (single family) homes are fitted with a 200 amp electrical service to the main panel or load center, which usually gives plenty of capacity for an outgoing 50 amp circuit. I'm not sure what the situation is in Canada. I've known many people who have got a new meter (additional service line) to their detached garage or workshop, and others who upgraded their existing service (say from 125amp to 200amp) but of course that costs money. But it's worth it in the long term. Of course for those living in town houses or shared apartments/condominiums, in urban areas this may not be feasible.

I hope you can find a solution to have more electrical (energy) autonomy and independence at your residence! I do agree these are factors that should be emphasized to Tesla as they plan to reach a wider market for EV adoption. I think as they scale more and more, they could possibly put more urban supercharger locations active, but I think their priority in superchargers right now is for Teslas on road trips (Elon has said that home charging should be a normal practice like one charges their cell phone). Of course a cell phone charger barely takes a few Milli-amps at 110v (up to 1 amp only after transforming down to 5Vdc), so definitely an apples to oranges comparison. But I do think Elon wants to make home charging equally as practical soon if not some day, but there is a lot on Tesla's plate right now so who knows when additional charging accessibility options will be offered at scale by Tesla?

I do think the issue of charging accessibility may be what is scaring some prospective buyers away at least in urban areas or apartment dwellings. However, for areas of existing electrical capacity, installing or arranging an installation for an additional circuit is not complex at all. In fact it is a quite easy process, at least for those with real life experiences and knowledge - having not been stupefied by texting in a phone all day for months and years on end. I am often very surprised at how many life-practical simple things a large portion of today's population has failed to ever learn, while they know how to thumb their phones faster than some people can type (atrocious spelling errors notwithstanding). For some installing a charger connection/circuit is much easier than they realize, yet for others in urban apartments or unique situations there are of course real blockages to electrical upgrades.

If I couldn't get a charging circuit at my own residence with robust capability (because the Cybertruck is going to need even more) - I'd think seriously about moving.

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
If Tesla doesn’t just include charge cables with all new vehicles, it’s going to be a epic and cheap mistake! I wasn’t able to line up an electrician until the day after I took delivery. It had 60% of charge and had 47 miles and 2000 ft of elevation @ 90 degrees to get home. The charge cable saved my ass, and MYLR. Not including a basic charging on average $60,000 not including tax car is cheap and repugnant! Matter of fact it should come with the full travel pack for all power outlets that are available through Tesla for $500 and just add the cost to the vehicle purchase price. Peace of mind can be priceless…
i disagree. it wont be a mistake. ive had a tesla for 3 years. ive never used the mobile connector. i dont even know where i put it. same goes for my mom and sis that have teslas. theyve never used the mobile connector. at home wall connector and supercharging when taking trips.

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
Tbh, this was all probably just a calculated stunt for making it a choice during vehicle purchase as the real goal. I haven't passed a Tesla that didn't have it yet. It's the sonic movie trailer all over again.

The real issue I have here is, this will make my job a nightmare, lmao. This is definitely going to introduce a whole lot of "Where's my charger?" complaints on the reddit boards, and I feel like the quality backlash will have this turned around within a month. At a glance (which is my job in a nutshell), trim is basically the only thing that dictates what extra bits get put into vehicles. Not some arbitrarily selected item, it's why wheel type has shipped incorrectly in the past (unless its got the performance brake calipers, I've got to waste time I don't have digging through the vehicle's specifics data).

I wonder if this was a desperation tactic to save on chips, it's not like they were hurting for margin. Do you think the China/Shanghai shutdown is going to cause another chip shortage spike?

CyberGus

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.timeanddate.com
Vehicles
1981 DeLorean, 2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
IT Specialist
Country flag
I never thought of the cable as free; I thought of it as necessary equipment, like a tire Jack.
You know Teslas are not equipped with tire jacks either, rite?
Sponsored