Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
somebody’s gonna need to explain wake/ski boats …
They don't have a great contribution to net worth?

Also, not alot are sold. For instance, only about 60K new jet skis are sold in the US per year. The entire market is under 200k units! (Google is lovely for looking this stuff up.) vs say, the over 55 million cars that change hand in the US each year.

In other words, there are more new Model Ys in the US than the total sales market of jet skis!

-Crissa
Sponsored

Deleted member 3316

I think the discussion on tax avoidance is really missing the point.

I too believe the reservation should be made non-refundable by the end of the year in order to get an accurate gauge of how many people actually want one.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

I too believe the reservation should be made non-refundable by the end of the year in order to get an accurate gauge of how many people actually want one.
Maybe $5,000… or even $10k? Heck, just pull a full Roadster and make people pay the full amount now. Then you only retain the die hards.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag

I don’t see how non-refundable deposits does anything useful for buyers. It doesn’t seem to cause buyers that put down a non-refundable deposit to obtain a vehicle any sooner.

An “accurate gauge” is also obtained when refundable deposits convert to orders.

I don’t see how non-refundable deposits does anything useful for buyers, and in fact would only punish buyers that have changes in life conditions between putting down a non-refundable deposit and later … perhaps years later.

This is setting aside the various legal and accounting issues it can cause for a manufacturer to require and hold for years material non-refundable deposit amounts.

So I remain unclear how a non-refundable deposit does anything useful for anyone?

Deleted member 3316

I don’t see how non-refundable deposits does anything useful for buyers. It doesn’t seem to cause buyers that put down a non-refundable deposit to obtain a vehicle any sooner.

An “accurate gauge” is also obtained when refundable deposits convert to orders.

I don’t see how non-refundable deposits does anything useful for buyers, and in fact would only punish buyers that have changes in life conditions between putting down a non-refundable deposit and later … perhaps years later.

This is setting aside the various legal and accounting issues it can cause for a manufacturer to require and hold for years material non-refundable deposit amounts.

So I remain unclear how a non-refundable deposit does anything useful for anyone?
What is useful to buyers is not a priority in my post. I tend not to frame my thinking on “what about me” or “what’s in it for me”.

My priority is centred on a liveable planet. I want to encourage Tesla to be optimally efficient in their planning for manufacturing. Tossing out the chaff of malicious or aspirational reservations would help forward planning for the imminent start of production and delivery.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't see what's useful for changing the deposits to anyone, really.

Until Tesla has a production date and design, they really can't actually use that information of which buyers are which motivated. They know the buyers fall into basic categories:
  • Want it now, will pay any price;
  • Will take a whatever limited configuration just to get it now;
  • Want it only with all the range;
  • Want it only when it's in (price);
  • Want it only when it qualifies for the tax cred;
  • Want it only when FSD is level 5.
Everyone is one or more of these. But until they know their constraints next year, it doesn't help.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Totally. There is nothing in this which benefits Tesla or the buyers.

It is a small number of people who want to “clear out the riff-raff”… but in my book asking a bunch of people who have already waited a long time to pony up $1000 or more when they may be waiting another 2 years is bonkers.

Also… it’s not something Tesla has ever done so I don’t get where people think they will start now.

Just because I have $1000 today doesn’t mean I will in 2 years. Likewise, people who put the $100 down might not have $1000 bones to drop but may in 2 years when their number is tapped.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Tesla has not locked down the specifications yet. Until then they cannot make the deposits non-refundable. “Give me $1000 dollars and I’ll let you buy a truck from me in the future. I can only give you a vague description of the truck and I can change the specifications and price at any time. If you don’t like the new price or specs, fine, but I keep your $1000 for my troubles.“

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Down at Tesla, In the depths of someone's brain, is a good enough estimate of the number of orders that will be cancelled.

The $100 deposit is a step up from a Twitter survey... it has done its job.
Sponsored