Audi A4
Country flag

CyberJustice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
Stainless Steel still looks the best and highest quality, literally looks like a fighter jet on wheels. However, a wrap makes it look cheaper and lower quality.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
That's what I was thinking about. Stealth Matte Black. I gotta say, it do look fine!
1699130271464.png
My memory is fuzzy but did people make fun of these planes for their prismatic design?

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That’s the ticket! A partial wrap to look like the starship!

1699207191764.jpeg
Interesting Idea: a semi flexible heat shield ceramic that is about 0.5-1.6 mm thick that can be adhered to CT ss panels. This would be essential for AZ.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Interesting Idea: a semi flexible heat shield ceramic that is about 0.5-1.6 mm thick that can be adhered to CT ss panels. This would be essential for AZ.
Tesla makes those solar tiles for roofs. Want them on your CT?

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Tesla makes those solar tiles for roofs. Want them on your CT?
I was thinking more of the thermal insulating ceramics. Living in AZ is almost like atmospheric reentry from a low earth orbit.

PATEL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Country flag

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That’s the ticket! A partial wrap to look like the starship!

1699207191764.jpeg
The PICA ablative heat shields are for use in the 1000'C range, plus the SS of Starship withstands 100'Cs itself. These shields don't as much "insulate" the heat from entering the vehicle, as much as it "diverts'" the heat away from entering the vehicle, by using the hypersonic airflow to remove heat around the vehicle and keep it cool enough so it doesn't melt and fail.

This is well outside of the range of conditions or temperatures you will ever experience on earth by parking in the sun. But without a way to get temperatures down to 25'C inside the cab, it won't help much if it stands in the sun for hours and gets heat soaked. Orbital reentry takes minutes, not hours, and you won't have a hypersonic sea breeze to help cool it to make the ablative shield work as intended. 😜

Besides the added mass would increase range loss as well, so you'd probably be better off just doing the black wrap overall if that's your jam.

If you want to insulate it, the best material to use would be a aerogel, but you would also have to get rid of any of the thermal bridges where the panels are connected to the BIW etc. Something to protect the glass areas would be best, as in full sunlight there is about 4-5kW of heat hitting the glass area of the CT that needs to be cooled whilst driving and when parked.

PICA Might be good for a Thunderbirds style supersonic firetruck though! :LOL:

Tesla Cybertruck Matte Black Cybertruck Finally Appears!! 😱 Driven by Franz Von Holzhausen ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
My memory is fuzzy but did people make fun of these planes for their prismatic design?
Well, no one in the fighter community ever said the F117 was “sexy” or looked like a “beast”. The plane got the nickname of the “Wobbly Goblin”, but that was from the handling. Everyone understood the reason for the design, and in their first use in anger, they performed as advertised. Fighters have a very macho blueprint. And a fighter without afterburners, well, it’s just not a “real fighter”. So the F117 had a few things against it well before you even looked at the design. Outside of stealth-iness, it doesn’t do anything we haven’t already done (better).

The F117 was an example of “Form follows function” concept.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I was thinking more of the thermal insulating ceramics. Living in AZ is almost like atmospheric reentry from a low earth orbit.
I know that August in AZ feels like plasma on your skin! I’ll put it this way, if you can drive your CT somewhere over Mach 5, I’m certain we can get you the ceramics for your CT.