Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Yes, Farmers & other work truck owners have to add protection for the back window.

but this discussion thread is about the glass roof.
Hardly any pickup trucks have glass roofs.

Sounds like you want Tesla to design the truck you want, not the truck they want.

Maybe you could start your own truck manufacturing company and get the truck you want? That is what Bollinger did.

Or, you could just modify the CyberTruck as has been suggested.

There are many people who want very specific features on the CyberTruck... but does not mean they will happen.

There is no flat roof to the CyberTruck, so that could also be a bit of miscommunication. Thus the 'roof' is made up of the angled glass from the front and the angled glass that slopes down in line with the vault cover and sail pillars on the sides.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Adding rack to protect the glass roof
1. adds cost for protective rack
2. increases aerodynamic drag
3. more weight
4. reduced range
on top of the other costs of the glass roof
1. added to initial price (armor glass is more expensive than metal)
2. increased manufacturing time, capital cost, labor cost
3. increased long-term maintenance & repair costs
4. extra weight - glass, frame support & seal
5. reduced range from extra weight
1) Your option to not want a back window adds cost.
2) Maybe. Not certain. If you're having stuff on your roof, well, that's drag, too.
3) Your idea is much heavier.
4a) You already noted this in #2
4b) You already cited his in #3
4-1) You are asking for a modification. Your idea will cost more.
4-2) You are asking for a modification. Your idea will take more time to manufacture.
4-3) There's no evidence of additional maintanence required by a different roof panel material.
4-4) Your idea would weigh more. You already mentioned this in #4b and #3
4-5) You already mentioned this in #4-4, #4a, and #2.

You're the one asking for them to replace the roof.

-Crissa

JETMECH

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 T100 4x4, 2012 Cadillac CTS Wagon, 3.6 AWD, 2018 Rad Mini E-bike
Occupation
Retired, A&P Mechanic/Techincal Conslutan
Country flag
Any roof that can have a sunroof that would open and vent would be a huge plus.
Integrated solar panels another plus.

kenshortt

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado, Passat
Country flag
I personally would rather have a metal roof rather than glass on the Cybertruck.
The glass roof is great on my M3 that stays on the road full time, but for the CT where I want to
do some rough riding it seems more likely a break or crack could happen in those instances.

Thoughts?
[/QUTE= It is also a survival truck. The glass roof is the weak spot. I would choose metal.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Sounds like you want Tesla to design the truck you want, not the truck they want.

As I said a couple times before the Cybertruck has the basis for a great work truck.
Tesla claims business work truck as one of the primary markets for the Cybertruck.

As a business customer ( so far we have 5 reservations each with FSD) and over 50 years experience working for industrial businesses (fabrication of machinery) that used many trucks, I think I have a good idea what businesses want in work trucks. TCO for the tasks the business needs done is paramount. I started as a machinist on the factory floor and then moved to the office as cost account for factory processes and did time studies on reducing labor costs. So bottom line is I know a lot about manufacturing products from heavy duty steel & aluminum.

But for use in business the glass roof is a detraction.
For business use the glass roof adds significant cost without any benefit whatsoever.

1. glass roof will cost Tesla more to build into a Cybtertruck than using a stainless steel roof

2. Over life of all Cybertruck vehicles made with glass roofs, maintenance & repair costs will be higher because of the glass roof.

3. Vehicle out of service times will be higher because of the glass roof.
(vehicle out of service costs the business money, scheduling problems and lowers customer service)

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
I personally would rather have a metal roof rather than glass on the Cybertruck.
The glass roof is great on my M3 that stays on the road full time, but for the CT where I want to
do some rough riding it seems more likely a break or crack could happen in those instances.

Thoughts?
I wholly agree with you on this one too as I do not care to have the blazing sun overhead even if it is armored glass, unless they include a retractable internal or electronic sun screen option.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
1. glass roof will cost Tesla more to build into a Cybtertruck than using a stainless steel roof
No. It would if the default was a conventional vehicle, but they already intend to design it the way they do their other unibody vehicles. So no, it won't. The cost is already part of it.

2. Over life of all Cybertruck vehicles made with glass roofs, mainetenamce & repair costs will be higher because of the glass roof.
In that, some will need it replaced. But that vast majority will never have that problem, glass being a harder surface than metal.

3. Vehicle out of service times will be higher because of the glass roof.
If you've taken enough damage for the window, you may have taken enough damage to take out a steel roof. Even so, days for one vehicle out of thousands built over a ten year lifetime is hardly anything.

They are making this vehicle with the back/roof out of whatever this armor glass is. Any option you want will be an additional cost.

Yes, 'no part' is going to fail less than a part, but the glass cabin is a selling point for its lack of blindspots. You'll be able to look up and back and orient the truck with loaders or garages. You'll be able to see the world around you, and your load. These are not without value.

-Crissa

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
The slope of the roof makes its being glass useful. The tiny back window will have poor visibility, whereas with a glass roof, it’s not an issue. Cameras also help, but the glass roof is neat.

ThomasG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru Forester
Country flag
So what is going to be the best solution to cut 3/4" holes for an NMO mounts for two-way radios in the Cybertruck? Just asking. I'm involved with a SAR organization. The Cybertruck has some appeal, but it is an issue. Easy enough on conventional trucks if you avoid sunroofs which is getting harder to do.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The slope of the roof makes its being glass useful. The tiny back window will have poor visibility, whereas with a glass roof, it’s not an issue.
It will be an issue.

Yes, the roof slopes towards the back but it stops at such a height (above the heads of back seat passengers) that it will not be of use for backing up.

Cameras also help
Cameras will not just help. Cameras will be critical to driver in manually navigating while backing up. Of course hopefully the other option is having the FSD system control the truck when in reverse.

, but the glass roof is neat.
Business men/women buy and use tools to get a good job done at lowest cost.
We do not care if it is"neat".
Most businesses do not like the angled shape/design of the Cybertruck.
Personally I love the angular shape.
But if the Cybertruck is significantly better at getting the job done at a significantly lower cost than the competition then the Cybertruck will be the one chosen.

The value proposition for businesses of the Cybertruck with glass roof is still better than competing trucks. All I am saying is that Cybertruck would have a significnt increase in value to businesses if the Cybertruck did not have a glass roof.

Maybe Tesla will have Cybertrucks without glass roofs for fleet sales to businesses.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Personally, i think they should offer a steel roof as well, But I also think it would be an unpopular option with like 10% would choose it.

I only see it being a problem with construction or hard physical work jobs, where heavy things like bricks, tiles,rebar, etc. Is loaded often, by workers who dont really care, I have worked with these guys and those trucks take a beating.
But I also dont really think the CT is trying to be that type of work truck, for various reasons.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If im not mistaken, a metal roof was originally going to be the standard option for the model 3. But this quickly changed and the Glass roof became standard on all their vehicles. I seriously doubt the CT will get a metal roof.... feel free to weld one on yourself though.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
So what is going to be the best solution to cut 3/4" holes for an NMO mounts for two-way radios in the Cybertruck? Just asking. I'm involved with a SAR organization. The Cybertruck has some appeal, but it is an issue. Easy enough on conventional trucks if you avoid sunroofs which is getting harder to do.
Now this sounds more like a dilemma! Let's get talking about this as I see 2-way antennas mounted on a lot of vehicles on the highway! Or cop cars for example, this could also pose an issue when retrofitting equipment.

Is there any wireless solution out there for these antennas? Like a base plus the antenna on top with another wireless transmitter into the cabin? Almost like a repeater for wifi.

Or is there an ability to mount the 2-way radio elsewhere, such as off to the side next to the pillars?

I would love to hear more feedback on this!

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Now this sounds more like a dilemma! Let's get talking about this as I see 2-way antennas mounted on a lot of vehicles on the highway! Or cop cars for example, this could also pose an issue when retrofitting equipment.

Is there any wireless solution out there for these antennas? Like a base plus the antenna on top with another wireless transmitter into the cabin? Almost like a repeater for wifi.

Or is there an ability to mount the 2-way radio elsewhere, such as off to the side next to the pillars?

I would love to hear more feedback on this!
idk.. reference what certain police departments are doing on the model 3's
Sponsored