John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Here is a close up from the Tesla patent application for the tonneau. The roller is about 15" diameter and appears to have 3 wrapping layers. 15" x 3 x Pi = 140" of tonneau, enough to cover the top horizontal and the vertical inside the rear wall. We can still hope the last 45 inches are chains only.

Tesla Cybertruck Mid-Gate possible? CT Tonneau roller patent
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Nice idea. But to be truly usable, there would need to be 2 separate rollers for the tonneau. The first would be for the bed roof that keeps out the rain. The second would be for the cabin/bed separator wall. If there is only one single long tonneau as you have described, then anyone sleeping in the bed is still in a vault and can only get to the cabin after fully opening the tonneau over the bed and down past the separator wall area. Instead, the separator wall would need to be opened and closed separately from the tonneau over the bed.
Track slats can have 'breaks' between sections which operate independently on the same track and roller.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Mid-Gate possible? 1637957808110

Hadn’t really thought about it until now, but looking at this shot, it makes me wonder where the 6’5” bed measurement is taken and how much space is going to be available.

You you have a 6’ 5” x 4’ x 4’ box, can you get it into the bed with the tailgate closed? looking at that slanted bed front (Shaded area), I’m kind of thinking not. I wonder how much space you lose there.

Bringing this back to the camping topic, it brings into question the amount of space a taller person might have for sleeping in the vault. I’m 5’11”. If the tailgate is closed, my head is going to be up in that yellow area or very near it. That’s going to be tight.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
I am confident the vault's width will be 53-58", and that the vault's height will be 26" next to the tailgate sloping up to 37-38" next to the midgate/cab.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am confident the vault's width will be 53-58", and that the vault's height will be 26" next to the tailgate sloping up to 37-38" next to the midgate/cab.
You think 26” at the tailgate? Most trucks have a 21” deep bed. That’s been the assumption I’ve taken regarding the height of the vault at the tailgate.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
You think 26” at the tailgate? Most trucks have a 21” deep bed. That’s been the assumption I’ve taken regarding the height of the vault at the tailgate.
The patent app drawing above is showing the vault floor 3" higher than I thought. Deduct another inch for the tonneau and we're at 22" at. the tailgate and 34" at the midgate.
Add a 6" mattress and it is very tight.

Last edited:
OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
The patent app drawing above is showing the vault floor 3" higher than I thought. Deduct another inch for the tonneau and we're at 22" at. the tailgate and 34" at the midgate.
Add a 6" mattress and it is very tight.
If the rear window can be replaced by a slider model like this $190 aftermarket Toyota window, the maximum possible opening would be 10" tall and 24" wide (shown here between the orange lines). It would be extremely difficult for an adult to climb thru.
But if the vault doesn't open on command and the tailgate won't open, I would want the option to try to escape that way.

Tesla Cybertruck Mid-Gate possible? ToyotaPickupRear slidingWindow $190

Tesla Cybertruck Mid-Gate possible? CT rear window profile

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I would love to have my Cybertruck delivered with no rolling tonneau and no back wall.
Just a simple hinged cover like this.

CT Mid gate copy Nov 26-21.jpeg
The more I think about this whole car camping thing, the more I like the idea of just having the front seats fold flat. Then the climate control situation is simple and I can use the bed for hauling stuff.

I’ll post my Plan O shortly which is an alternative.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If the rear window can be replaced by a slider model like this $190 aftermarket Toyota window, the maximum possible opening would be 10" tall and 24" wide (shown here between the orange lines). It would be extremely difficult for an adult to climb thru.
But if the vault doesn't open on command and the tailgate won't open, I would want the option to try to escape that way.

ToyotaPickupRear slidingWindow $190.png

CT rear window profile.png
I don't understand this fetish with crawling through the rear cab window. It's supposed to be a truck, not a playhouse. I also don't understand the fear of being trapped in the vault. Tesla is all about safety and will have a design that cannot trap you in there.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
I don't understand this fetish with crawling through the rear cab window. It's supposed to be a truck, not a playhouse. I also don't understand the fear of being trapped in the vault. Tesla is all about safety and will have a design that cannot trap you in there.
I want a BEV playhouse. Tesla does not make a BEV playhouse. No one does. I have to adapt the cybertruck.
Also, claustrophobia does not respond to rational arguments. Someone could park so close as to block your tailgate escape. The battery could go dead immobilizing the tonneau. A sliding rear window is an option I desire and will gladly pay for.
Can I fit thru it? Hmmm....

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I want a BEV playhouse. Tesla does not make a BEV playhouse. No one does. I have to adapt the cybertruck.
Also, claustrophobia does not respond to rational arguments. Someone could park so close as to block your tailgate escape. The battery could go dead immobilizing the tonneau. A sliding rear window is an option I desire and will gladly pay for.
Can I fit thru it? Hmmm....
I'm saying Tesla will have a solution that works with a dead battery. Some of the concerns here just boggle my mind!
Sponsored