Mid-Gate possible?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I just want to be able to put long stuff inside out of the rain. I don't need the back seats or a separator very often.

-Crissa
Now that's an idea I can get behind. A pass-through for long pipes, poles, masts, lumber, lances, javalins, etc. would be very handy. It wouldn't even need to be that big for most long items.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Now that's an idea I can get behind. A pass-through for long pipes, poles, masts, lumber, lances, javalins, etc. would be very handy. It wouldn't even need to be that big for most long items.
I would definitely like something for this. Even if it’s just an openable window. Strapping 20 foot sections of PVC to the roof is a PITA.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I would definitely like something for this. Even if it’s just an openable window. Strapping 20 foot sections of PVC to the roof is a PITA.
With a 6.5 ft bed, even if there were a midgate, how are you suggesting you would transport a 20 ft pipe? With it going through the midgate, wouldn’t there still be something like 8 ft of pipe sticking out the back? Not impossible to drive but certainly not ideal.

Or are we gonna strap that pipe under the body? LOL, just had to go there. Sorry, not a serious suggestion.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
With a 6.5 ft bed, even if there were a midgate, how are you suggesting you would transport a 20 ft pipe? With it going through the midgate, wouldn’t there still be something like 8 ft of pipe sticking out the back? Not impossible to drive but certainly not ideal.

Or are we gonna strap that pipe under the body? LOL, just had to go there. Sorry, not a serious suggestion.
I’d love if there were a decent (and safe) underbelly option.

PVC has a lot of flex. I’m pretty sure if I could open the window I could run them from the rear window down to the passenger floorboard which would put about 4-5 foot over the back of the truck, maybe even less after the bend. Not exactly legal, but I’ve hauled stuff that sticks out that far before. I’ve definitely hauled 10’ 2x6s in my Tundra which would have hung out a similar distance.

Most likely with a 20’ stick I’d just run it over the roof and strap it to the front bumper. I could see hauling 12’ 2x6s with a proper mid gate. Maybe as long as 16’ in a pinch.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Off-topic:

I would avoid pvc like the plague. It degrades quickly, is not that strong, leaches toxins into the water, becomes more brittle with age, requires solvents to make connections, fails when it freezes, is difficult to transport, takes up an unreasonable amount of space in the wall cavity where it might be competing with insulation for space and making the insulation less effective. PEX has been the standard in Europe for decades and lasts much longer, doesn't leech toxins, doesn't become brittle, is easier to work with and comes in handy 100 foot rolls that you can just toss in the bed of a pickup (or even in the rear seating area).

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag

In the cab there is about 6.5' of length available for pipes or such from the dash to the back wall. Add 6.5' of vault and you've got 7' feet left. The lowered tailgate is 2' leaving the last 5' feet unsupported beyond the tailgate. You'll need to tie some red cloth or plastic to the end to stay legal.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Off-topic:

I would avoid pvc like the plague. It degrades quickly, is not that strong, leaches toxins into the water, becomes more brittle with age, requires solvents to make connections, fails when it freezes, is difficult to transport, takes up an unreasonable amount of space in the wall cavity where it might be competing with insulation for space and making the insulation less effective. PEX has been the standard in Europe for decades and lasts much longer, doesn't leech toxins, doesn't become brittle, is easier to work with and comes in handy 100 foot rolls that you can just toss in the bed of a pickup (or even in the rear seating area).
PVC is mostly for irrigation and runs from the pump house to the main house. I don’t know a lot of people running 1000 foot of 1 inch Pex underground.

PVC isn’t legal for most internal plumbing save for drains.

I just assume whatever we pump out of the ground is toxic regardless and use reverse osmosis on pretty much all drinking water

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PVC is mostly for irrigation and runs from the pump house to the main house. I don’t know a lot of people running 1000 foot of 1 inch Pex underground.
Why not? It's rated for direct burial and comes in 500 foot rolls you can plop in the back of your truck. It's far more inert than PVC and the inside is less inviting for growth and you will have a lot less joints using 2 500 foot rolls vs. 50 20 foot sticks with multiple glue joints. About the same price, maybe even cheaper unless you get a volume deal on the PVC.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
PEX is more expensive here vs PVC. I know, PEX is awesome, I've done some repairs to my house using it, but...

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why not? It's rated for direct burial and comes in 500 foot rolls you can plop in the back of your truck. It's far more inert than PVC and the inside is less inviting for growth and you will have a lot less joints using 2 500 foot rolls vs. 50 20 foot sticks with multiple glue joints. About the same price, maybe even cheaper unless you get a volume deal on the PVC.
Have you priced 1000 feet of PEX versus 1000 foot of PVC? Every time I’ve bought PEX, even via discounters it’s been a lot more expensive.

Though if I’d thought about it at the time I’d probably have done PEX for that also.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you priced 1000 feet of PEX versus 1000 foot of PVC? Every time I’ve bought PEX, even via discounters it’s been a lot more expensive.

Though if I’d thought about it at the time I’d probably have done PEX for that also.
I did price it, but I misread the price :rolleyes:

Can you use schedule 40 PVC for direct burial? If so I'm seeing about the same price for PEX B at $0.74/foot in 500 ft. rolls. Maybe you can buy the PVC in bulk for less, I don't know but I think the PEX is probably worth any premium it might have. I've seen too much old, cracked PVC to want to use it for any serious purpose. It stinks too.
Sponsored