Money saving idea for Tesla (for deliveries)

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (Tri Motor) on order
Country flag
Just thought that if Tesla could offer a deal for people who volunteer to pick up their new Cybertruck at the Terafactory (Tulsa or Austin) to be moved up in their overall production number. This would save them loads of delivery costs and give people the chance to show off their new vechicles in a cross-country road trip!!!

This could be done for other models where there is a backlog of orders like the Cybertruck.
Sponsored

OB2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Sign me up! I'll love to test the CT on a road trip from pick up and share. Maybe even stream it live!

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Good Idea ! And combine it with a factory tour.

It is common practice, of the all major car and truck OEMs, here in Germany since more than 1/2 a century.........

Especially for trucks, e.g. firetrucks are picked up by the whole voluntary brigade.......

If you pick up your new truck at DAIMLER they will load your car on the flat bed, give you a factory tour with lunch and a cool jacket.
This is an incentive for the trucker and it establishes and improves a long lasting customer relationship.

But face it :
It would be a disruption and complication for the product distribution.
TESLA is not used to customers showing up IN PERSON at the factory.
It is cheaper to charge a destination fee (on which money is to be earned) and deliver the car than building a delivery center at every Gigafactory....

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’d pick mine up in Texas with a tour if possible.

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is enough divisiveness in this country already without injecting more in the common interest of our desires to be first to receive our CT. By hoping to advance your place in line will do just that. Wouldn’t it be better if we were offered credit on supercharger usage to drive your new CT home? :oops: :unsure: :)

DARKFURY1

First Name
Chauncy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I was wanting to do the same thing. Great idea.

cypergerald

First Name
gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge Mercedes
Occupation
self employed
Country flag
I was planning to pick up my CT on my own anyway. But first they have to build them.?

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
such a long trip from Austin to El Paso and beyond. At least there is at least five SC.

Yes, I would do it but spent the night in Ft Stockton, El Paso, and maybe Tucson.

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
Tesla used to offer vehicle pickups at the factory in Fremont, but sounds like they might have discontinued that some time in 2018. I read somewhere they may have started doing it again in limited amounts, or at least by a delivery center near the Fremont factory to help get cars delivered during the pandemic.

They still charged the $1200 destination fee even if you picked up at the factory.

Tesla Cybertruck Money saving idea for Tesla (for deliveries) Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 4.59.01 AM

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
when you get your Tesla they have folks there that show you features correct? I know my wife and I would like an orientation. The Tesla center in Tempe is on a fairly busy road and I would rather get familiar with the features and feel on quiet, familiar roads.
Navigating Austin, then San Antonio to make it to Mesa AZ would be stressful.

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
when you get your Tesla they have folks there that show you features correct? I know my wife and I would like an orientation. The Tesla center in Tempe is on a fairly busy road and I would rather get familiar with the features and feel on quiet, familiar roads.
Navigating Austin, then San Antonio to make it to Mesa AZ would be stressful.
Ideally the pandemic will be over by the time the CT starts rolling out, but Tesla has made some changes over the years to it's deliver process even pre-pandemic. Late last year/early this I believe is when they started offering in-person orientation sessions. They were doing this to try and reduce the number of test drives I believe and also reduce the average "delivery time" when a customer comes in to pick up their vehicle for delivery. They also have some "training videos" online for each model: https://www.tesla.com/support/model-s-videos

I think I remember they had a goal for average number of minutes they were trying to get their "delivery time" down too, but pre-pandemic I've seen them take time going through features with new customers. Others might be previous owners and just grab the key and go after all the paper work is done.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Tesla won't/can't do away with the delivery fee, right? I propose a change that is win/win for all.

If Tesla doesn't have to ship your vehicle across the US, they save money. If they only had to drive it across the street to the "factory pick up location", they would save roughly $1,200. Conversely, if you, Joe Shmoe, go pick up your Tesla at the factory, you are out how ever much it cost you to drive down there and all you gain is, well, nothing (I sure would have liked to have gotten mine before some yahoo opened the door into a block wall...) Anyway, here's the proposed change:

Everyone pays the $1,200 shipping. Ha, no change there. Tesla still collects the same $1,200 it always has.
But wait, there's more.

If you have your Tesla delivered, nothing changes for you or Tesla.
However, if you go for the "Tesla experience", you get this:
- golf cart ride through the factory to see where your car was made
- access to the "Tesla experience" showroom where you can see each model of Tesla made
- An opportunity to be walked through the vehicle to show you what is different from your previous vehicle whether it's a Tesla or not.
- The same quick paperwork and done experience
- 1,000 supercharger miles to help you get your vehicle home.

Why is this a win-win? Tesla can do all this for less than $1,200 per person which lets them pocket the difference. You get a neat experience and get to start your first road trip with your new car.

This wouldn't work for everyone and it doesn't have to. Those who want to wrap their vehicles may not want to chance the highways before having that done. And that's okay.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
Now that it’s been determined that Tesla cyber truck will be built in Austin Texas and the fact that it will be open to the public gives credence to the fact there will be tours available.
so I am pretty sure that if you want to pick up your truck at the factory you will be given a tour and maybe some swag.