Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
They decided to ignore every single positive fact about Tesla.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I think the essential point to the article, as offered in the sub heading is valid.
“What we know, what we think we know, and what we’re just guessing . . . “

But I do think there’s a lot that is not faith based, but reasonable to believe will be true about the Cybertruck.

The author is absolutely right though, that there has been a lot of significant uncertainty around aspects to the Cybertruck. And that uncertainty is still perpetuated by Elon / Tesla.

From the first tweet when Elon stated the size would be reduced, in fact he simultaneoulsy went in 2 opposite directions !

In that, at the Cybertruck reveal the stated width was 79.8 inch. Yet his tweet confirmed they were reducing the size by going up to 82 inch’s because the vehicle on the night was larger than the dimensions stated !! And then he advised twice more, further changes to all dimensions !!!

And he also confirmed in a tweet in November 2019, that a smaller Cybertruck is in the works, and will be approx. 73 inch’s wide.

The fact that Elon has now publicly acknowledged the Cybertruck does not pass regulations in certain markets, and without offering a specific solution at hand is a very unprofessional thing to do.

He’s left people hanging ! People he’s collected money from ! A number of which have voiced their disappointment and concern, on this forum.

So as the situation formally currently stands, the large Cybertruck will not be sold in Europe and
(by extension not in Australia and other markets where Tesla has invited & received orders from !)

I’m not perturbed though, I think Elon’s genuine, and I do expect a solution. I just wish he would be a little more circumspect about all the orders he’s received from people who are seriously enthusiastic about the Cybertruck.

I do expect people will be satisfied when certain aspects of the Cybertruck and Cybertruck mini get bedded down and revealed.

C’mon Elon, it’s time to confirm, once and for all, what the details are about the Cybertruck(s) and in what markets.

P.S. the article is slightly off in mentioning some of the less common speculation like the 500 mm travel suspension.
I haven’t heard that one before, but some of the Tesla fan boi’s have come up with a lot more baseless claims than that.

And then there’s the reasonable deductions, which are actually interesting to discuss.
For instance the side mirrors.

Which for the record are not needed as per Australian regulations. So in this market the Cybertruck as revealed would be great, just needed to see what was going to happen with the wind screen wipers !

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The fact that Elon has now publicly acknowledged the Cybertruck does not pass regulations in certain markets, and without offering a specific solution at hand is a very unprofessional thing to do.
So like this statement, changing what is obvious: A prototype doesn't pass regulations. Well, no duh, it's a prototype. It doesn't, almost by definition. And 'some' markets include places that ban large vehicles altogether.

That doesn't mean it won't be sold in the EU or UK.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
In that, at the Cybertruck reveal the stated width was 79.8 inch. Yet his tweet confirmed they were reducing the size by going up to 82 inch’s because the vehicle on the night was larger than the dimensions stated !! And then he advised twice more, further changes to all dimensions !!!
I know a lot of people like to know what they are ordering, but people should always know that when a vehicle is so far from production and all we can see is a prototype or a render, things ofter change. Tesla is actually pretty good at having their cars at least closely resemble the prototype compared to other manufactures in the past.

Also I think a big problem with deciding on the size of the Cybertruck is that they were going for two different things; a badass big truck and the ability to fit in a garage. Elon stated that they needed to reduce the size by 3% to fit in a regular garage. Clearly it didn't take long for them to figure out the new size of the cybertruck because Elon changed his mind, decided that was too small, and now we will have one closer to the size that was displayed. I like this decision since if they are going to build a smaller Cybertruck in the future for other markets, they'll probably make some of those in North America too and anyone that wants their CT mini, can still get it.

And he also confirmed in a tweet in November 2019, that a smaller Cybertruck is in the works, and will be approx. 73 inch’s wide.
This is still 100% possible. However, I don't suspect that we will see a smaller Cybertruck, even a prototype, until after we have a fully built Cybertruck and ready to start production.

This is common when it comes to different products in different markets. If you look at EU regulations, it's not just the design and safety requirements but there are also numerous software differences that Tesla has changed to have their cars sold in the EU. You could even look at regulations between states, or different provinces in Canada. I can't drive my car two hours away to the west coast because of the tint on my windows, while i won't get a ticket where I live.

He’s left people hanging ! People he’s collected money from ! A number of which have voiced their disappointment and concern, on this forum.

So as the situation formally currently stands, the large Cybertruck will not be sold in Europe and
(by extension not in Australia and other markets where Tesla has invited & received orders from !)
I've heard Elon mention this truck will be sold in North America, I thought it was pretty clear that it was just North America. Also it's a $100 deposit to lock in your price and I think that's an amazing deal, just like how other companies do it...other than the fact that other companies usually charge $1000+. I don't think anyone that could afford the Cybertruck will be too upset that they had $100 missing from their bank account that can easily be returned. I do think people would be upset that they thought they could buy a Cybertruck but found out they were unable, but I don't think Tesla has done anything to 'invite' people worldwide to order the Cybertruck.

Also I think if someone in the EU has a reservation and doesn't need that money urgently, it might be a good idea to hold on to the reservation. It's possible they could announce the smaller Cybertruck before that person has come up in the reservation and then maybe they could change their reservation to the smaller version and keep the locked in price on the FSD.

Tesla has a lot to do and I think we need to be a little understanding. It's not like they have a line of trucks that they can reference to know exactly how the new model will look, like other companies. Also if we look at those other companies, they aren't fairing too well either when it comes to giving concrete information about their upcoming EV trucks.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Crissa : “It does not mean it won’t be sold in the EU and U.K”

Let's just say I'm not sure how you can mistake Elon's explicit statement.
But your comfortable suggesting I'm being less than shall we say 'upstanding", in repeating his message. (And what is the implication for most of the international reservation holders )
I believe your wrong on both counts my good sir.

His words explicitly state that he publicly acknowledges the Large Cybertruck will not meet regulations and it will not be sold there, but Tesla may attempt to get an exemption, and or build the smaller Cybertruck in the future. The Audio is on the net for the record !

Elon:

“We made the executive decision not to make the world truck "

“It doesn’t comply with the eu spec’s”

“Slight chance . . . . I don’t know . . . . we can get an exemption to EU rules.

“But that’s ok, we can build a slightly smaller truck in future that does comply with EU regulation”

The good news is The Cybertruck is designed to, ( and has American Regulators approval ) to kick serious North American butt. :) As was the case from the beginning.

Its just the approx. 250, 000 or so orders that are world orders, placed on local Tesla’s websites to individual Country’s, by customers that have been invited to order a Cybertruck, that are left hanging and disappointed.

And at the moment have no notice and will have to wait indefinitely !
To see an update or buy something else !

Personally I remain hopeful that he will announce something before the end of 2020 as to what those 250 000 or so International customers can expect. I don't think he would abandon those orders, and once again it's already very poor to leave those people hanging and uniformed.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There was no explicit statement, and taking his words out of context is...Taking his words out of context.

Tesla hasn't canceled orders from the EU or UK, hence, no explicit statement of no intent to deliver the truck there has happened.

And complaining about stats still a year and a half out... What other competitor has released as much information as Tesla about their truck on that schedule?

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Didn't read the whole thing, as it seemed just a slightly negative take on everything we already know.

But it's a prototype obviously, things are subject to change. we preordered knowing that. I hope when it gets closer to production they will have all the real specs and what not.
I only consider anything on the official preorder site to be true to the upcoming vehicle. Anything elon or anyone says Is just talk.

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
There are a few Tesla news vlogs on You Tube that offer more speculation than news. Tesla Bruh is way more speculative than even the most die hard fan on this forum. Our base here is just much more invested in the product than the typical car company fan, IMO.

One thing I do look for here is real news and real data. I like that there are a good number of electrical and mechanical engineers, as well as current and former car manufacturer employees, who can give added value to what we know and the speculation.

I found the article pretty spot on of what is known and guessed. For me this is like handing Santa (Elon) your Christmas wish list and then examining the box, shaking it, guessing what is inside as we wait for Christmas day to open our presents. Harmless anticipation and wonder.

Last edited:

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag

It amazes me all the complaining that goes on for a vehicle that isnt even in production yet, and won’t be for a while. The deposit is fully refundable, and relatively insignificant. Speculate like crazy, but the whining and demanding gets tiresome pretty fast.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I like that there are a god number of electrical ... engineers,
I don't think my wife would agree.

Anyway we all know that advertising, press releases, interviews are all designed to at best put the company's product in its best light and in the worst cases deceive the public into thinking the product is better than in fact it is or to cloud judgement with emotion. Engineers may be a bit more immune to this than other folk (because we don't have emotions) and engineers may have a better feel for what is feasible or not feasible because of their experience and knowledge of the underlying science but engineers do not have crystal balls. When Elon says, with respect to FSD, that he needs to get more nines and those extra nines are hard to get an engineer knows exactly what he means but has no way of knowing how many nines the current system has nor how many more are needed nor when Tesla will attain them and consequently no idea when the CT will be capable of robo taxi service though he may think that is going to be a long time.

Engineers are also perhaps better equipped than others to deal with uncertainty. As the very old saying goes the only certainties in life are death and taxes. Engineers and, of course, scientists and more recently accountants, marketers etc are trained to try to predict uncertain things based on observations. By their very nature predictions cannot be wholly accurate. Elon Musk isn't even certain at this point that there will be a CT as he isn't certain the market will accept it. He has a backup design in his back pocket.
Sponsored

Last edited: