Moveable Wifi camera?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3316
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Deleted member 3316

The use cases for this is probably not limited to Cybertruck.

Elon has confirmed a Wifi link to integrate additional cameras to sentry suite/ visual aids.
User Interface/Software should be able to; (IMHO)

Accept multiple feeds
Selectable feeds
Access to feed through Tesla app.
Integration with sentry mode.
Selectable operating modes. Ie when reverse selected show this camera.

Three use cases I see for this is
  1. Towing - swap feed from truck rear to trailer rear.
  2. Off-roading - front view for cresting or spotter when solo touring/rock crawling.
  3. General use monitor - rear facing child seat, convoy video chat, camp sentry during the zombie apocalypse..
Curious to see opinions of other use cases and better articulations of how to get this to work. (GoPro, Arlo, third party manufacturer integration?)
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
It would be easier to provide the front camera, as Rivian is doing. I would have thought there would be a standard for video over a trailer connection, or atleast another plug near the standard trailer plug for such items.

For a camera to work on a trailer there would need to be a battery, maybe a small solar panel to keep it trickle charged, and then there would have to be a way of receiving a WiFi signal not blocked by a potentially metal trailer...

To me, wired seems like a better option. Tesla could release a standard... or use one that already exists. Physical connection could be one of those rugged automotive connectors (like this: https://www.te.com/global-en/product-770680-1.html) passing a modern electrical/signal standard such as HDMI. HDMI is 19 pin, so extra pins could be used to have sensor data relayed, such as brake position or temperature, accelerometer/tilt sensor, or what have you to help with safety & self drive.

If Tesla wanted to make trailers, this is how I would handle it. They are definitely going to want to do something like this for the Semi...

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

Yes, totally agree that having a wired in camera would of course be optimal for regular use and that is the existing solution to in car vision; but as with anything disruptive it’s the edge cases needing to be addressed.
The rental box trailer being an obvious one.

The purpose of this post is to see what other uses or additions people could contribute to the concept. I like the idea of GoPro integration, doesn’t necessarily need to be high definition over wifi but remote vision on the centre screen could be very useful.

Dave.Me

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 GMC Sierra Z71 - Cybertruck Dual Motor ordered - 2018 Subaru Forrester
Occupation
Retired - CNR Signals & Communications Technician
Country flag
It would be easier to provide the front camera, as Rivian is doing. I would have thought there would be a standard for video over a trailer connection, or atleast another plug near the standard trailer plug for such items.

For a camera to work on a trailer there would need to be a battery, maybe a small solar panel to keep it trickle charged, and then there would have to be a way of receiving a WiFi signal not blocked by a potentially metal trailer...

To me, wired seems like a better option. Tesla could release a standard... or use one that already exists. Physical connection could be one of those rugged automotive connectors (like this: https://www.te.com/global-en/product-770680-1.html) passing a modern electrical/signal standard such as HDMI. HDMI is 19 pin, so extra pins could be used to have sensor data relayed, such as brake position or temperature, accelerometer/tilt sensor, or what have you to help with safety & self drive.

If Tesla wanted to make trailers, this is how I would handle it. They are definitely going to want to do something like this for the Semi...
HDMI can be successfully be passed through CAT5 or 6

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Yes, but going to need heavy duty connector and shielding (lots of strong EM fields coming off those orange cables) as well as protection from weather, and Cat5/6 is not what I think of when I think robust cabling.

Dave.Me

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 GMC Sierra Z71 - Cybertruck Dual Motor ordered - 2018 Subaru Forrester
Occupation
Retired - CNR Signals & Communications Technician
Country flag
Yes, but going to need heavy duty connector and shielding (lots of strong EM fields coming off those orange cables) as well as protection from weather, and Cat5/6 is not what I think of when I think robust cabling.
The present cameras in Tesla EV's appear to be operating fine without heavy shielding at this point, so I'd assume they'd function just fine in the Cybertruck as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

The present cameras in Tesla EV's appear to be operating fine without heavy shielding at this point, so I'd assume they'd function just fine in the Cybertruck as well.
Yes and this thread isn’t about wired cameras, it’s supposed to be about wireless cameras, and how to integrate that into the UI

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

Yes and this thread isn’t about wired cameras, it’s supposed to be about wireless cameras, and how to integrate that into the UI
So it appears from one of Elon’s recent tweets Wifi camera is going to be a thing.

I wonder how else these wifi cameras are going to be used.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

With the extra camera port noted as part of hardware 4, this is looking even more likely. I wonder how long it would take to calibrate a removable/positionable Wifi camera?

Last edited by a moderator:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If wireless cameras added, wife will ask, “Why is a camera pointed at my feet?”

need to subsidize the truck somehow.

flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag

Competition (Ford, Chevy, GMC) are prewired for trailer camera. Catch up Tesla.

flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag
Look, all credit to Tesla's engineers. Pretty damn good job on their first try at making a pickup truck. This was a miss, though., seriously compounded by the rear camera not having something to clean it. Given that the truck is awash in cameras already, I don't think it would be difficult to add a connector for a trailer camera.

Having said that, there then comes the issue with how the camera feeds are displayed. I get Tesla minimalism but please give me a separate display with the side and rear cameras in front of the driver instead of blocking other functions on the main display. With speed and battery charge in it? Perhaps the aftermarket?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 model y, cybertruck foundation awd (ordered)
Country flag
Look, all credit to Tesla's engineers. Pretty damn good job on their first try at making a pickup truck. This was a miss, though., seriously compounded by the rear camera not having something to clean it. Given that the truck is awash in cameras already, I don't think it would be difficult to add a connector for a trailer camera.

Having said that, there then comes the issue with how the camera feeds are displayed. I get Tesla minimalism but please give me a separate display with the side and rear cameras in front of the driver instead of blocking other functions on the main display. With speed and battery charge in it? Perhaps the aftermarket?
If the aftermarket provides a rear view mirror that can have the camera view displayed on it, I'll be first in line to buy it. But I suspect tying into the existing camera feed will be impossible. If it's not impossible, it will require taking half of the car apart to do the installation. Otherwise you'd have to add an additional camera manually, which would be incredibly annoying.

It's especially dumb that they released a vehicle with no rear view mirror under the "default" use case, and the rear view image on the screen disappears when the turn signal is activated in favor of the side view camera. I'm hoping I can just turn off the camera during turn signal option, so the rear view feed doesn't disappear like that. Having a fixed image on a different screen for rear view would have prevented this issue from being possible.

I'm sure tesla will *eventually* fix that with software, but nobody on this earth knows when.