Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not really though.... all materials have resistance to current unless they are in superconductor realm. It is internal resistance that generates heat, heat increases resistance which generates more heat. So there are 2 ways to attack this problem. 1. Lower initial resistance or 2. Slow the increase in resistance.
Larger cells of the same chemistry and design as a smaller cell have an effective lower initial resistance or higher C for the same amount of current.
Cr=Ir/Er
If you have tabs, the route for the power to get in and out of the battery is constrained. The bigger the battery, the worse this issue is. Sort of like the door to the movie theater when the movie ends. The bigger the theater, the harder it is to get people out one little door.

Tab-less cells eliminate this issue. Like someone opening a giant rolling door in the side of the theater.

Anyhow… doesn’t matter because the rolling door comes with this bigger theater so effectively it’s the same.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Call me Osborne but I'd still prefer my Model Y to come out of Austin. It seems unlikely since they gave me an EDD of mid to late March but that would be my preference. If they change the EDD or otherwise offer order holders a choice then maybe I have a shot. I like the Model Ys as they are so no complaints. No matter what, the CT will have the best batteries available when they are finally produced. Probably the best of everything, by far, if history repeats itself.
Me too.

So much that when they are available I might order one and sell mine when I can be sure I’d get one of these. But. ordering before I know I’ll get one with any certainty seems like a waste. Of course I have one so it’s easy for me!

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They have been very quiet on this front.

Also very quiet on how they introduce the Austin Model Y to the world

Last edited:

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My guess: they will split production so Freemont only produces the LR version with 2170s, and Austin only produces Performance version with 4680s. This for a limited period while they ramp 4680 production, then both factories will use 4680s for the Y exclusively.

Keeping in mind Tesla used the older batteries in their flagship product (s Plaid). Probably lots of reasons for that, but makes me wonder.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My guess: they will split production so Freemont only produces the LR version with 2170s, and Austin only produces Performance version with 4680s. This for a limited period while they ramp 4680 production, then both factories will use 4680s for the Y exclusively.

Keeping in mind Tesla used the older batteries in their flagship product (s Plaid). Probably lots of reasons for that, but makes me wonder.
I’m sticking with the idea that Austin will start by producing “Born to by Y’ld” edition. With off-road tires and 1.5” of additional aid suspension.

Maybe “Model Y gone Wild”?

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’m sticking with the idea that Austin will start by producing “Born to by Y’ld” edition. With off-road tires and 1.5” of additional aid suspension.

That would be really cool! I might finally pull the trigger on a Y to hold me over until CT is ready! especially if range is increased.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That would be really cool! I might finally pull the trigger on a Y to hold me over until CT is ready! especially if range is increased.
It is almost certainly complete bullshit, but I induldge in a little Tesla Fan Fic on occasion.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag

That would be neat or some kind of quasi Model Y Plaid. Sucks that in Canada a fully loaded Y Performance would trigger the Luxury Tax fee. :(

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag

Exactly what I was thinking. The Austin model Y be the performance model that comes with gigacasting and structural battery pack with 4680s and is marketed as such. Fremont does LFP long range until Austin is LFP ready. That way people ordering LR Ys won't expect the Austin upgrades. Then eventually it won't be offered online for a few weeks. while the queue runs out and the button for the LR will return with the new and improved Austin LR model Y.

Fremont then retools to make low volume halo Teslas, the Roadster and S, and X. While Austin attempts to flood the planet with CTs and Ys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Exactly what I was thinking. The Austin model is the performance model that comes with gigacasting and structural battery pack with 4680s and is marketed as such. Fremont does LFP long range until it Austin is LFP ready. Then there will be a delay and Ausint will make all Ys.

Fremont then retools to make low volume halo Teslas, like the Roadster and S, and X. Then Austin attempts to flood the planet with CTs and Ys.
Right now anyhow, LFP is going to be for short range vehicles only. Unless Tesla can improve the weight on these, that’s likely to remain the case. LFP is just too heavy for big packs for the moment.

I think you’ve crossed some wires.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Yes, sorry had LR model Y stuck in my head. The SR will also be the rental car fleet for Tesla.
Sponsored

Last edited: