Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
But how do we get one of those Model Ys?
I got tired of waiting on the CT so I ordered a Y last week and the worst case delivery December 2022. But at my delivery spot for the Y it may be sooner. I ordered basic white/black interior 19" wheels no FSd or tow package and it came out just at 60k plus taxes etc. All ordered online

I am #400k on the CT list so at least not until later next year. I don't want to be left behind

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Exactly what I was thinking. The Austin model Y be the performance model that comes with gigacasting and structural battery pack with 4680s and is marketed as such. Fremont does LFP long range until Austin is LFP ready. That way people ordering LR Ys won't expect the Austin upgrades. Then eventually it won't be offered online for a few weeks. while the queue runs out and the button for the LR will return with the new and improved Austin LR model Y.

Fremont then retools to make low volume halo Teslas, the Roadster and S, and X. While Austin attempts to flood the planet with CTs and Ys.
That's what I was thinking also but it doesn't appear to be the case given several Austin made non-performance Model Y's have been spotted.

Weird because having Austin make the Model Y performance at first would make a whole lot of sense. It's a lower volume trim compared to LR which means it fits well with the inevitably low production volumes during factory ramp and it would have the added benefit of driving demand to a higher margin model. Not to mention the biggest effect of the lower weight is actually felt in terms of performance & handling rather than additional range.

Once volumes are ramped sufficiently Austin takes over Model Y LR production from Fremont and Fremont reverts to making Model 3 only.

Last edited:

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Further confirmation on them not starting with performance Model Y's only:

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Further confirmation on them not starting with performance Model Y's only:

Yeah, this just gets more intriguing. That leaves two options:

* Left Coast gets screwed for a few months.
* Fremont is transitioning too.

There have been a lot of front gigacastings sighted in Fremont, but that’s a hell of a ramp if they switched the whole line. Huge leap of faith on 4680 production.