Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Audi Q4 e-tron,2017 WRX STI, 2003 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Software development
Country flag
I think the cost would be prohibitive, but i'd try it that's for sure. It's one way we could get colors other than silver :)

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
It‘s a brilliant idea. Simply prep and spray the preformed SS panels with a super hard tungsten carbide coating. It would make the tough as nails Cybertruck even more resistant to scratches, bird poop etching or vandalism.

Would you be willing to pay $3k, $5k, $7k or $10k for the Armor Shell coating option?

Tesla Cybertruck Musk: Tungsten Carbide Coating may be offered to scratch-proof Cybertruck. Overkill or oustanding? FF06C863-BB46-4905-8CD0-FAE6ABC6C9DC

Last edited:

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Would you be willing to pay $3k, $5k, $7k or $10k for the Armor Shell coating option?

It‘s a brilliant idea. Simply prep and spray the preformed SS panels with a super hard tungsten carbide coating. It would make the tough as nails Cybertruck even more resistant to scratches, bird poop etching or vandalism.

FF06C863-BB46-4905-8CD0-FAE6ABC6C9DC.jpeg
I’d hate to pay that much just to have it fail the haters’ diamond ring challenge.

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
What? …so it can be as “tough” as a Ford?? 🤣🤣

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I had looked into tungsten carbide coatings for a 304 SS cam application. It was a plasma spray and expensive. Maybe a sputtered coating? Perhaps Elon is just joking.

WormtownKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2013 F150
Occupation
Outside Sales
Country flag
Wouldn't this make touch-ups much more difficult? I get that it may resist more scratches and scuffs, but when you inevitably scrape against something, doesn't this nullify the whole, "just buff it with a Brillo pad" detailing program?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Probably because a shopping cart going walking speed can make ugly dents in aluminum clad trucks.

Did you forget? The memo to those making Cybertruck design decisions said to make the Cybertruck the first truck that is actually tough, not simply one where the manufacturer claims it is tough.

Besides, the thick stainless panels contribute to the high cargo and tow ratings. If the skin was thin aluminum, the stamped portions of the chassis would need a lot more reinforcement to be able to handle 3500 lbs. of cargo and be able to tow 14,000 lbs. without turning into a steel spring. It would require a ground-up re-design if Tesla were to ditch the structural exoskeleton concept.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I had looked into tungsten carbide coatings for a 304 SS cam application. It was a plasma spray and expensive. Maybe a sputtered coating? Perhaps Elon is just joking.
I am 99% sure this is just Elon humor. I don't think this is something they will really offer.

rjtumble

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche, Subaru Forrester, Ford Focus, 1932 Deuce Coupe
Occupation
Computer Support
Country flag
Based on a brief read of their process, I assume this one won’t work on a completed vehicle. Seems like you’re only able to send parts through this process.

I’d personally be interested in something I can apply myself (or have done) after the fact. Probably not as durable, but also way less expensive.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Wouldn't this make touch-ups much more difficult? I get that it may resist more scratches and scuffs, but when you inevitably scrape against something, doesn't this nullify the whole, "just buff it with a Brillo pad" detailing program?
Yes, it would.

It would mean it wouldn't get scratched at all in normal, everyday use but, in the event it encountered something hard enough to scratch it, it would not be easily repairable. I think the bare stainless would have a nicer look in most use environments and have the advantage of the "look" being easily customized by the owner simply by chosing which grade of abrasive pad is used to clean and polish it (and also used to buff out any scratches that might happen).

It's hard enough to avoid most damage and soft enough to easily repair any minor damage that does happen and bring back to the original look.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
NO THANKS!

SS is one of the big reason I am excited about CT along with many others.
Sponsored