MyTeslaWeekend Rumor - Dual Motor only for the first 500k units produced!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Lots of 500 mile expectations, for the non-top tier trim class?!

Assuming a 500 mile range is possible, I suppose you’re here describing the trim-price equivalent of the Ford Lightning XLT Extended Range. This is a chart I put together of the base MSRP for the Lighting MY23 trim ranges

it does seem to me that a theoretical CT with fewer motors but equal range to top-their trim is analogous to the XLT High ER?

Model2023 Model Year (EXCLUDING $1,795 Destination)
Pro$47,001
XLT$59,474
XLT High$68,474
XLT High Extended Range$80,974
Lariat$74,474
Lariat Extended Range$85,954
Platinum Extended Range$96,724

KHappe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on order
Country flag
So a year or so ago, I tweeted for a nice to have accessary for the CyberTruck. Have a connector in the bed of truck, so that we could add an optional battery module in the bed. So, for most of time extra range is not needed. But adding the optional battery module would increase the range of the CT when needed.
Plenty of room in the bed. So for that family campout, were you need to pull the camper. Just add the battery module and then you have plenty of range.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
So a year or so ago, I tweeted for a nice to have accessary for the CyberTruck. Have a connector in the bed of truck, so that we could add an optional battery module in the bed. So, for most of time extra range is not needed. But adding the optional battery module would increase the range of the CT when needed.
Plenty of room in the bed. So for that family campout, were you need to pull the camper. Just add the battery module and then you have plenty of range.

Other huge advantage of a system like this is when not in your truck

1. this auxiliary battery could be used as additional energy storage for your home powewall.

2. this auxiliary battery could be swapped to a different truck (owned by family member, neighbor, club) to augment its trip range.

3. this auxiliary battery and TT trailer could be rented when needed instead of owned and just sitting around unused 48-50 weeks a year.

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Here is a question.

Dual motor was spec-ed at 300 miles, not because of the motors, but because they were targeting a certain price point for the dual motor. Fewer batteries, meant a lower price.

Tesla could choose to build a Dual Motor, with 400+ miles of range. Or even 500+ miles of range. Just put in more batteries.

I would pay up for a Dual with either 400 or 500 miles of range.

Does anyone think that is possible?
For sure. Elon said price AND specs have changed. The "bad news" part was that obviously it will be more expensive in some way, but the spec change may mean more value. I could see range for all models going up or down, or a possible decoupling of the longest range battery from the model spec'd with the most performance.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Lots of 500 mile expectations, for the non-top tier trim class?!
Tesla’s performance vehicles (Plaid/ Performance) have less range than the LR trims across the board.

Assuming a 500 mile range is possible, I suppose you’re here describing the trim-price equivalent of the Ford Lightning XLT Extended Range. This is a chart I put together of the base MSRP for the Lighting MY23 trim ranges

it does seem to me that a theoretical CT with fewer motors but equal range to top-their trim is analogous to the XLT High.
If the Cybertruck long range (previously tri motor) is “analogous” or merely competitive with the XLT High config, I will be disappointed. Teslas advantages in the market on engineering and battery supply chain give them such a huge advantage the long range truck should be significantly better than any of the Lightning configurations.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Tesla’s performance vehicles (Plaid/ Performance) have less range than the LR trims across the board.

If the Cybertruck long range (previously tri motor) is “analogous” or merely competitive with the XLT High config, I will be disappointed. Teslas advantages in the market on engineering and battery supply chain give them such a huge advantage the long range truck should be significantly better than any of the Lightning configurations.
Should be.

But will they? We don't know.

In fact, we don't know what the hell Tesla is doing with the Cybertruck. We don't know when first models will be delivered to customers. We no longer know the price. Or if if will have 4 motors, or 2. We don't know the range. We know nothing for sure.

Except we believe it will be built in Texas, and be fitted with 4680 batteries (we assume) and that it will have GigaCastings as it's frame. Oh, and come in one color.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Apologies, I wasn’t suggesting a cross-manufacture comparison.

Instead, I only meant relative to the other trim levels in a given manufacturer’s lineup. Point being, it’s easy to say “guess what I don’t mind: a cheaper version but still with a maximum range.” From there I was just wondering if an analogous “cake and eat it too” trim level (cheaper but still with maximum range) existed in other lines, and thought perhaps the XLT ER seems an example.

And yea (here comes playful snark): the so-far non-existent, un-priced, imagened, long range but mid-priced CT model that might come out maybe 24-48 months from now is undoubtedly better than a (by then) 3-6 year old F150 XLT truck platform.

:cool:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hot Take: Maybe this rumor means Cybertruck production will be so quick that Tesla will blast half a million trucks out the door in the first year.

/s
That is a positive outlook!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If the dual motor still still has less range than the tri or quad, whichever they decide to release, I’ll patiently continue waiting as range is a priority for me.
I like the answer but there is a big part of me that is screaming ‘I have waited too long already’.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And yea (here comes playful snark): the so-far non-existent, un-priced, imagened, long range but mid-priced CT model that might come out maybe 24-48 months from now is undoubtedly better than a (by then) 3-6 year old F150 XLT truck platform.
Spot on.

Did not mean to suggest “thing which doesn’t exist” is better than an “actual thing”.

I am saying literally: I will be disappointed if it isn’t better. Tesla has all the advantages here, they have no excuses for being second best.

Semantics, I know!

As for where a specific trim fits in the lineup… right now we don’t even know how many trims there will be!

If this rumor is true, I think they’d launch with 2 trucks, one long range and one short range. And maybe they will mention a performance/ Plaid truck coming later.

I don’t think Teslas trim levels have a good analogy to traditional car trims. Traditional makers bundle all sorts of things into their trims so they can force you to upgrade to get some specific feature. Tesla generally just puts out 2-3 models and gives you paint and wheel options.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
500 miles with big AT tires is hard. I think Tesla is going to have to walk that back a bit.

I am a huge EV proponent but towing large loads over 100 miles is going to be disappointing for everyone.
Like everything people will say that we can’t take Tesla at their word, but at the unveiling they said the tri-motor, with 35” wheels, would get 500+ miles. I do not need big knobbies on my truck but I’d like to believe that Tesla designed the CT to get the performance they predicted. It is their business and expertise, after all, and they have a track record of delivering better than promised.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Like everything people will say that we can’t take Tesla at their word, but at the unveiling they said the tri-motor, with 35” wheels, would get 500+ miles. I do not need big knobbies on my truck but I’d like to believe that Tesla designed the CT to get the performance they predicted. It is their business and expertise, after all, and they have a track record of delivering better than promised.
I don’t think Tesla said this at all.
Sponsored